Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plug Adapters For Oz?

Plug Adapters For Oz?

Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:59 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Plug Adapters For Oz?

Hi, I went to the shops today as we want some plug adapters to take with us to aus so that we have them as soon as we land. On a website it said that they are 3 pin plugs but at the shops it said, Aus and US plug adapters and they were 2 pin! have seen this in 2 different shops now. Can anyone post a picture on this thread to show me what they are like?? Come on get your digital cameras out!!!! Thanks Pete
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Pingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant future
Default Re: Plug Adapters For Oz?

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Hi, I went to the shops today as we want some plug adapters to take with us to aus so that we have them as soon as we land. On a website it said that they are 3 pin plugs but at the shops it said, Aus and US plug adapters and they were 2 pin! have seen this in 2 different shops now. Can anyone post a picture on this thread to show me what they are like?? Come on get your digital cameras out!!!! Thanks Pete

You can use 2 or 3 pin plugs so just get the ones they have in the shops. We couldnt find 3 pin and the 2 pin ones work fine.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Aus has 3 pin sockets but they can take 2 pin plugs (unearthed) and 3 pin plugs (earthed). Typically travel adaptors are for use with unearthed appliances (it should have a warning about this somewhere) which is why it may only have 2 pins. Be careful as these adaptors often reverse the live and neutral so they can cause problems with appliances that should be earthed.

Here's some info on sockets http://www.accesscomms.com.au/AustMainsPlugVariants.htm
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:12 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

We used a 2 pin adapter on the tumble dryer, but kept getting a mild electric shock! Changed the plug from UK to an Aussie 3 pin plug and had no problems.
There should be a picture of the Oz plug.

Neil.
Attached Thumbnails Plug Adapters For Oz?-plug.jpg  
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:56 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pete

Somebodies already beaten me to the pic but just thought I'd give another but of advice! We got our travel adaptors from Ebay and only paid £5.99 for 5 of them. Took a couple of weeks to arrive as they were posted from Hong Kong but they do the trick. They're still selling them on there:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-X-AU-Standar...QQcmdZViewItem

HTH
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:01 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Hi Pete

Somebodies already beaten me to the pic but just thought I'd give another but of advice! We got our travel adaptors from Ebay and only paid £5.99 for 5 of them. Took a couple of weeks to arrive as they were posted from Hong Kong but they do the trick. They're still selling them on there:-

HTH
Thanks, now I know! 2 pin will be ok in the short term and then when all our stuff arrives cut the uk plugs off and refit with Aussie ones, Thanks, Pete
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pete another thing i would recommend you bring with you is a couple of extension leads with a 4 gang socket, our rental house has only 1 double power point per room. This is the case with alot of houses we have looked at. These would come in very handy for using your computer/printer/scanner/tv /dvd/videos as you only need to change the 1 plug and can use the transformer for your printer and mobile phone chargers and not have to buy new leads.
Good luck

John
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:18 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hi Pete another thing i would recommend you bring with you is a couple of extension leads with a 4 gang socket, our rental house has only 1 double power point per room. This is the case with alot of houses we have looked at. These would come in very handy for using your computer/printer/scanner/tv /dvd/videos as you only need to change the 1 plug and can use the transformer for your printer and mobile phone chargers and not have to buy new leads.
Good luck

John
I'd second that - we brought a few across with us too. For some reason old aussie houses have next to no flamin sockets!!
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Plug Adapters For Oz?

I'd second that - we brought a few across with us too. For some reason old aussie houses have next to no flamin sockets!!
You may find this hard to believe, but it's the same with old UK houses.

The room I'm currently sitting in has only one single socket - as does the master bedroom.

The lounge has four sockets (as does the kitchen) but the bathroom has none at all.

Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:44 pm
Mog
Forum Regular

Mog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud ofMog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
We used a 2 pin adapter on the tumble dryer, but kept getting a mild electric shock! Changed the plug from UK to an Aussie 3 pin plug and had no problems.
There should be a picture of the Oz plug.

Neil.
If you were getting a electrical shock it means that there was a fault, by using a 3 pin with a earth built in you are just passing the fault to earth and it is still there....you need to get it sorted.

Mog
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mog
If you were getting a electrical shock it means that there was a fault, by using a 3 pin with a earth built in you are just passing the fault to earth and it is still there....you need to get it sorted.

Mog
Or they may have been experiencing the problem I mentioned above in that some (UK to Aus) travel adaptors reverse the live and neutral pins. It's because the adaptors are designed for non-earthed appliances.

Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You may find this hard to believe, but it's the same with old UK houses.

The room I'm currently sitting in has only one single socket - as does the master bedroom.

The lounge has four sockets (as does the kitchen) but the bathroom has none at all.

No I dont find it hard to believe Vash - you dont need to try and turn this into another competition between Oz and the UK because its not. I dont recall saying that Oz houses dont have many sockets but UK ones do, do you?

And the 'no sockets in the bathroom' is a safety thing - couldnt believe my eyes when I got here and found electric sockets right next to the taps!

Last edited by tygwyn; Jul 9th 2006 at 11:07 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

may i explain about 2 & 3 pin plugs in Australia. 1st of all i would always use the 3 pin, any appliance with steel MUST be earthed its called class one appliances. then there is class 2 appliances they are basically plastic and no steel that can conduct any current. the design on the Australian 10 amp plugs are a complete different design to the UK, so my advice is get now 10amp plugs and have them fitted by an approved electrician.

Its an offence to do any electrical work without a License even fitting 2 or 3 pin plugs and if anything goes wrong you "WILL" be persecuted, so before you put your self or your kids lives at risk think.???
Old Jul 10th 2006, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Tony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant futureTony & Tina has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Plug Adapters For Oz?

Hi Pete

HTH
Thanks for that, Just ordered some. Good spot.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 12:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Its an offence to do any electrical work without a License even fitting 2 or 3 pin plugs and if anything goes wrong you "WILL" be persecuted, so before you put your self or your kids lives at risk think.???
Here we go again. In WA you CAN legally change a plug, you just cannot work on fixed wiring. As for other states, I think it's basically an urban myth & if it is law, well there's one law that needs to be broken. This topic crops up on here every couple of months & causes much debate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.