British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   pls advice - what should we bring with us? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pls-advice-what-should-we-bring-us-583875/)

malli Jan 13th 2009 7:23 am

pls advice - what should we bring with us?

Hello all
Me & my family got our passport stamped from embassy now we are planning to settle in Melbourne in 01.02.09. I want your adivce that wat we should carry with us to settle there like utensils , clothes, etc or can you suggest me any internite site wher i can get help about that
Thanks

homewardbound Jan 13th 2009 9:33 am

Re: pls advice

depends on how long til your stuff arrives... plastic knives and forks work just as well from kmart or wollies...

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????

malli Jan 13th 2009 11:20 am

thanks
homewardbound

Actually Me & my family got PR visa & we are heading to a new life in melborne now my question what material/things we carry with us . Or please suggest me any good website/ link where i can clear my doubts

Thanks

CDM Jan 13th 2009 11:28 am

Your question is very vague and it's not entirely clear what you're asking. The ambiguous title also doesn't give any clues as to what information you are looking for. A lot of people will read pls advice and simply ignore it because they have no idea what you want to know.

Are you asking what things you need to carry with you on your person or in your luggage for the flight to Melbourne? Or are you asking what you should pack into a container?

If you provide a LOT more information, then people will know what you are looking for and can asnwer accordingly.

- CDM

(PS: you might want to get the title changed or start a new thread with a new and more descriptive title)

Pollyana Jan 13th 2009 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by CDM (Post 7161464)
Your question is very vague and it's not entirely clear what you're asking. The ambiguous title also doesn't give any clues as to what information you are looking for. A lot of people will read pls advice and simply ignore it because they have no idea what you want to know.

Are you asking what things you need to carry with you on your person or in your luggage for the flight to Melbourne? Or are you asking what you should pack into a container?

If you provide a LOT more information, then people will know what you are looking for and can asnwer accordingly.

- CDM

(PS: you might want to get the title changed or start a new thread with a new and more descriptive title)

I'm in a helpful mood and just came across this, so I'll change the title :)

coolerkingcooler Jan 13th 2009 6:39 pm

Re: pls advice - what should we bring with us?

pls advise - what should we bring?
Definately, definitely!

Cooler

Sunshine Coast Settlers Jan 13th 2009 10:31 pm

http://http://britishexpats.com/foru...d.php?t=345774

Have a read through the threads on the link above. It may help you to understand how huge your question is and enable you to pinpoint your question a bit further. ;)

malli Jan 14th 2009 4:13 am

I am asking what things I need to carry with Me in my luggage or with myself to settle me & my family in Melbourne? As i earlier said that me & my family got permanent visa for Australia & we have decided to move to Melbourne

Notts_bloke Jan 14th 2009 4:29 am

Originally Posted by malli (Post 7165034)
I am asking what things I need to carry with Me in my luggage or with myself to settle me & my family in Melbourne? As i earlier said that me & my family got permanent visa for Australia & we have decided to move to Melbourne

Warning this post may contain Sydney humour.

If it's Melbourne you are moving to I would suggest sun screen, sunglassess, an umbrella and thermal underwear.

ray2gill Jan 14th 2009 4:44 am

Originally Posted by malli (Post 7165034)

That depends on how your traveling and class of travel i.e. baggage allowance
20kgs, 30kgs, 40kgs per person & how many of you?

Are you shipping anything by container?
Do you only need things to get by on until it arrives?
Are you taking with all your worldly goods when traveling?

Where are you intending to live on arrival - rented accomodation - furnished or unfurnished?

As you can see and others have stated it's not that we are unhelpfull just that you haven't provided sufficient information to be able to help you.

emelems Jan 14th 2009 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke (Post 7165060)
Warning this post may contain Sydney humour.

If it's Melbourne you are moving to I would suggest sun screen, sunglassess, an umbrella and thermal underwear.

:lol:

emelems Jan 14th 2009 6:37 am

You can get stuff here quite easily.. BIG W is cheap and can tide you over... is there an Ikea in Melbourne?! Dunno, but if so, then go there for other bits until your container arrives..

Things like kettle and a toaster plus some pots and pans you can get in K Mart or Big W... plus cheap cups etc.. perhaps, if space, bring some sheets and pillow cases? They are light and if you have some then it saves buying more..

Of course, the usual, like travel plug adapters (bring a few) as you'd be wanting to charge up phones and camera and stuff...

Other than that, its the age old "don't forget your toothbrush"... oh! and have a great flight and welcome to Australia! ;)

Em x

hereshoping Jan 14th 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 7165331)
You can get stuff here quite easily.. BIG W is cheap and can tide you over... is there an Ikea in Melbourne?! Dunno, but if so, then go there for other bits until your container arrives..

Things like kettle and a toaster plus some pots and pans you can get in K Mart or Big W... plus cheap cups etc.. perhaps, if space, bring some sheets and pillow cases? They are light and if you have some then it saves buying more..

Of course, the usual, like travel plug adapters (bring a few) as you'd be wanting to charge up phones and camera and stuff...

Other than that, its the age old "don't forget your toothbrush"... oh! and have a great flight and welcome to Australia! ;)

Em x

Yes there is an Ikea in Melbourne (Richmond).

Malli it's impossible for anyone else to tell you what to bring, some people ship over everything, others completely sell up and just bring a suitcase. There is no one right way. In general if you have good quality stuff now it is worth shipping it, if not then sell up and buy cheap stuff here.