Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pleeeeeaaaaase.... stop calling me!

Pleeeeeaaaaase.... stop calling me!

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:12 am
Trust me.... I'm a nurse.

Nurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really nice
Question Pleeeeeaaaaase.... stop calling me!

I am writing this post during a rare break in telemarketing activity in my house-hold! Does anyone know how I get these infuriating calls to my home stopped? I'm not interested in a water filter, having my carpets cleaned, having my dog washed..... coz I don't have a dog, the effect of the weather on the structure of my home, free calls to the US... or indeed any of the other useless crap that people are trying to peddle over the phone. You quite clearly do not have to complete and IELTS exam to enter a telemarketing career either. Got any ideas you lot, it's driving me crazy!!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pleeeeeaaaaase.... stop calling me!

Try here

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

it will cut some of them..

You could also try..

We're only on holiday renting...or my personal fav...just say "go on tell me about it".....put the phone on the side and go back to watching TV
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:45 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Simple:

1) Make sure you have a decent broadband internet connection
2) Unplug the phone from the phone line
3) Register with a VOIP provider
4) Plug your phone into a VOIP convertor and make and receive calls via your new VOIP number.

I use https://www.mynetfone.com.au/whirlpool/VoIP/Plans and find that the $5 a month plan covers all our calls (including UK).

Since having a mynetfone number we havent had a single telemarketer - thats nearly 4 years now.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:48 am
ABCDiamond

Also, have your phone set on a private number from the moment you get it.
We've not had one telemarketing call in 7 years here.

Must go, the phone is ringing....

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

The do not call works. I was being hounded by indian call centres every night.
Drove me mental.

I did the do not call, took 4weeks to take effect. But now really pleased as no more bloomin sales calls from India!

Gems
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Never had anyone wanting to clean my carpets, offering to wash my car or to sell me a water filter. I occasionally get James from Sydney wanting to sell me electricity though.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:15 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We did the Do Not Call register as well. It's worth noting though that it doesn't stop registered charities from calling, which I guess is fair enough.

I just really don't like to bothered at home for any reason. So the very few charity calls I do get annoy me. I can choose to donate (or not) on my own and don't need calls soliciting it. My opinion though. Just wanted to mention it because the calls do not stop completely.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:57 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
We did the Do Not Call register as well. It's worth noting though that it doesn't stop registered charities from calling, which I guess is fair enough.

I just really don't like to bothered at home for any reason. So the very few charity calls I do get annoy me. I can choose to donate (or not) on my own and don't need calls soliciting it. My opinion though. Just wanted to mention it because the calls do not stop completely.
Burbage: Hello.
Telemarketer: Hello. I'm calling you to ask if you would like to have a free...
Burbage: What's your billing address?
TM: What?
Burbage: What's your billing address? I'd be delighted to help you, but I need your billing address. I charge 100 dollars an hour for consultation or part thereof.
TM: urm...

They never ring back

Every now and then one of them tells me where they work. They barely get past the street address before their supervisor pulls the plug.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

As if you'd make a donation on the phone to a complete stranger claiming to be a charity anyway.

We have had the same experience as you, no telesales after registering with Do Not Call apart from charities. The problem is, they sell your details to other charities so it's a snowball effect.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a whistle, when they call you give them a full blast! Alternatively I like the "oh yes hang on a second" then just leave the phone beside the tv technique.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Mamoo will become famous soon enoughMamoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gems
The do not call works. I was being hounded by indian call centres every night.
Drove me mental.

I did the do not call, took 4weeks to take effect. But now really pleased as no more bloomin sales calls from India!

Gems
lol i meet a indian guy who works in telemarketing and i was giving him piss about all this busniess of calling unsolicited and unwanted... looks like local company are in good terms and they have hired lot of college grads to do this shit work...
well i would blame the lads but the local companies who has taken this idea from other counteries and who are hiring young generation asking them to do shit work... i feel pity for poor lads but equally frustated for the calls i get .. but thank god not many for me. and my no is 09898 9889
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:50 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nurse-Tom
Got any ideas you lot, it's driving me crazy!!
As well as the other suggestions, get an answer phone and set it to pick up after one ring. Most cold callers will hang up when they get an answer phone and if someone starts to leave a message who you want to talk to, just pick up the handset.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:01 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I am writing this post during a rare break in telemarketing activity in my house-hold! Does anyone know how I get these infuriating calls to my home stopped? I'm not interested in a water filter, having my carpets cleaned, having my dog washed..... coz I don't have a dog, the effect of the weather on the structure of my home, free calls to the US... or indeed any of the other useless crap that people are trying to peddle over the phone. You quite clearly do not have to complete and IELTS exam to enter a telemarketing career either. Got any ideas you lot, it's driving me crazy!!

Hunt them down like the rabid telemarketing dogs that they are...otherwise screen your calls..pretend its the In-Laws...)
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:18 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dreamy
As well as the other suggestions, get an answer phone and set it to pick up after one ring. Most cold callers will hang up when they get an answer phone and if someone starts to leave a message who you want to talk to, just pick up the handset.
My grandmother does that for every single call. It annoys the crap out of me as it feels like she's also screening us regular people too. Plus you always have to have a message ready to say as you know you're going to get the machine first.

I'd much rather she got call display and left the machine for unknown numbers.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Unplug the landline. Only give people your mobile number.

It costs the telemarketers significantly more to call a mobile, so 99% of them don't bother.

Cheers

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.