Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please wake me up when its over

Please wake me up when its over

Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all
Red face Please wake me up when its over

We've booked our flight for the 23rd of Feb. Tonight trying to fill in forms for Excess shipping to send a 'few' items over. OMG what a lot of rubbish, the valuation form is horrendous to try to sort out because we are just sorting stuff around the house and putting into the spare room on what we are taking. I haven't got a bloody clue exactly the quantity of clothes never mind indvidual items like toys, books, or hubby's work tools and bits and pieces from around the house. We have been trying to sort out stuff each day and given our son loads as he has just moved out. Hubby is leaving work on the 17th. Excess removal peeps are coming on the 19th. We move out on the 20th the dogs get picked up to fly on the 22nd and we go on the 23rd. Now totally stressed. I just wish I could bury my head in the sand till it was over.
Please pass me a chill pill or seven apologies for my panic attack
Lesleym
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:46 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please wake me up when its over

Originally Posted by LesleyM
We've booked our flight for the 23rd of Feb. Tonight trying to fill in forms for Excess shipping to send a 'few' items over. OMG what a lot of rubbish, the valuation form is horrendous to try to sort out because we are just sorting stuff around the house and putting into the spare room on what we are taking. I haven't got a bloody clue exactly the quantity of clothes never mind indvidual items like toys, books, or hubby's work tools and bits and pieces from around the house. We have been trying to sort out stuff each day and given our son loads as he has just moved out. Hubby is leaving work on the 17th. Excess removal peeps are coming on the 19th. We move out on the 20th the dogs get picked up to fly on the 22nd and we go on the 23rd.Now totally stressed. I just wish I could bury my head in the sand till it was over.
Lesleym
No worries! all things will be fine, you'll see. Have some and relax!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

We're in the same boat . Feel like running away, but just trying to take deep breaths and keep plodding on . It doesn't help that hubby has gone to NZ for a week, leaving me with it all. It'll all be worth it in the end.

Best of luck, hope the next few weeks go smoothly for you .
TJ
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:16 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

We've booked our flight for the 23rd of Feb. Tonight trying to fill in forms for Excess shipping to send a 'few' items over. OMG what a lot of rubbish, the valuation form is horrendous to try to sort out because we are just sorting stuff around the house and putting into the spare room on what we are taking. I haven't got a bloody clue exactly the quantity of clothes never mind indvidual items like toys, books, or hubby's work tools and bits and pieces from around the house. We have been trying to sort out stuff each day and given our son loads as he has just moved out. Hubby is leaving work on the 17th. Excess removal peeps are coming on the 19th. We move out on the 20th the dogs get picked up to fly on the 22nd and we go on the 23rd. Now totally stressed. I just wish I could bury my head in the sand till it was over.
Lesleym
Easiest thing in the world, is for me to sit here and tell you not to worry, and everything will be alright. But I hope the Lapthorn's story might help.

I didn't nearly enjoy the build up to moving to Oz as I should have done when we went out there in 2003 for a year. Why? because I worried myself stupid over things, which sets a snowball effect and had me then worrying over stupid little things, that just hindered the whole process.

Wonder how many people go through the same thing, rather than the feeling of excitement and exuberance which we should be going through.

Said to Mrs L. only the other day. If we get these permanent visas, I'm not going to allow myself to get in the state I got in first time round.

We went around the same time as you Lesley - brilliant time to be going. By then, you've had a gut full of the British winter, and will be arriving to lovely weather, all being well.

I remember our first night in Perth. Arrived in the afternoon, jet lagged, knackered (mainly due to pushing my 1 year old around the hotel corridors in Singapore for 3 hours the night before). We strolled down to the south Perth shore line and there it was - probably one of the warmest, deepest, most satisfying experience of my life. Pelicans and parrots flying into the park, kids playing in summer dresses and flip flops (sorry thongs), and the sun setting behind Kings Park lighting up the Perth CBD. To add to the effect, the flood lights were on at the Wacca, glistening off the beautiful Swan River.

We strolled down to the Boathouse restaurant at the end of Coode Street and had the most fabulous meal on the jetty for the same price as Pizza Hut in England, whilst watching the boats go by. I remember thinking, this is why we came, and this is the perfect start.

Just wish I hadn't made myself ill worrying about so many things leading up to it. Did no good what so ever.

Probably won't stop you stressing mate, but hope it's helped a little.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:35 pm
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
Easiest thing in the world, is for me to sit here and tell you not to worry, and everything will be alright. But I hope the Lapthorn's story might help.

I didn't nearly enjoy the build up to moving to Oz as I should have done when we went out there in 2003 for a year. Why? because I worried myself stupid over things, which sets a snowball effect and had me then worrying over stupid little things, that just hindered the whole process.

Wonder how many people go through the same thing, rather than the feeling of excitement and exuberance which we should be going through.

Said to Mrs L. only the other day. If we get these permanent visas, I'm not going to allow myself to get in the state I got in first time round.

We went around the same time as you Lesley - brilliant time to be going. By then, you've had a gut full of the British winter, and will be arriving to lovely weather, all being well.

I remember our first night in Perth. Arrived in the afternoon, jet lagged, knackered (mainly due to pushing my 1 year old around the hotel corridors in Singapore for 3 hours the night before). We strolled down to the south Perth shore line and there it was - probably one of the warmest, deepest, most satisfying experience of my life. Pelicans and parrots flying into the park, kids playing in summer dresses and flip flops (sorry thongs), and the sun setting behind Kings Park lighting up the Perth CBD. To add to the effect, the flood lights were on at the Wacca, glistening off the beautiful Swan River.

We strolled down to the Boathouse restaurant at the end of Coode Street and had the most fabulous meal on the jetty for the same price as Pizza Hut in England, whilst watching the boats go by. I remember thinking, this is why we came, and this is the perfect start.

Just wish I hadn't made myself ill worrying about so many things leading up to it. Did no good what so ever.

Really nice post. Puts things into perspective, we have had our permanent residency visas for a week. We are waiting for house sale to go through and OH has 3 months notice to work. We have become so stressed by it all we can't see light at the end of the tunnel. Your post has made us smile and know it will all be worth while. Cheers I'm going for a drink now.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:37 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn

Made me go Ahhhh. I hope we have the same experience when we finally get there.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Thanks everyone I know it will soon be reality. I also know it doesn't help to panic. I hope most people don't flippin' act like this when they get their visas and just know that good times are around the corner. It's just a matter of making sure it happens and working towards happy days and appreciating them.
Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone I know it will soon be reality. I also know it doesn't help to panic. I hope most people don't flippin' act like this when they get their visas and just know that good times are around the corner. It's just a matter of making sure it happens and working towards happy days and appreciating them.
Cheers
listen lady, iv'e met you and i bet you are so in control it'll be scary in your house take a breather get a few bottles of wine for all the packing and you'll breeze through it if none of this makes sense its cos i've just had half abottle good luck lesley xxx