Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:38 am
Just Joined

The Wallaces is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

Hi there we are the Wallaces family. We originally from the UK but actually immigrated to Calgary, Canada 3 years ago. After enduring the long, long, long winters, we think that we might be better suited to a sunnier climate.

We are coming over in June for long holiday staying 2 weeks in NZ and 3 weeks in Brisbane.

We are really just hoping that some of you folks would be good enough to give us some advice on what communities are good for families, as we want to have a look at housing while we are over. We don't want to be too close to the city.

Also could anyone make a suggestion as to where to stay while we are there in June, what areas are good and where we should absolutely avoid. We will probably need self-catering accommodation..

Sorry for being a little vague, we are just trying to plan out our trip and it is just so overwhelming. We have no family or friends in Brisbane to give us advice and you all seem like a nice bunch of people, so we thought we'd give it a go.

Cheers
Karen
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:40 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

You might consider Bayside Brisbane. Its not too close to the CBD but still within an hours commute. By the water, cooler in the summer than out west. Think Cleveland, Wellington Point, Victoria Point, Redland Bay, Manly.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
You might consider Bayside Brisbane. Its not too close to the CBD but still within an hours commute. By the water, cooler in the summer than out west. Think Cleveland, Wellington Point, Victoria Point, Redland Bay, Manly.
That is an excellent idea

Some accommodation options

Listings of Furnished Accommodation and Serviced Houses and Apartments:

Brisbane South East

Thornlands, QLD 4164 - www.auspitality.com.au
Thornlands, QLD 4164 - www.abuzzhomestay.com.au
Cleveland, QLD 4163 - Cleveland Terrace Resort, 52 Island Street, T: (07) 3821 2255 -email-
Redland Bay, QLD 4165 - www.redlandsretreat.webs.com Redlands Retreat T: 07 31371089
Coochiemudlo Island QLD 4184. Quirky Cottages, - www.quirkycottages.com
Wakerley, QLD 4154 - Koala Resort Motel - 158 Greencamp Rd, Wakerley. : (07) 3245 6555
Wellington Point, QLD 4160 - 1 bedroom Unit sleeps 2 Adults and 2 children in Bunk Beds. -email-

Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Please, some help from the Expats in Brisbane

Hi there, many thanks for the replies. I had a chance to look at the areas today and they look amazing. We have two young boys one seven and the other two. We would love to be down near the sea. It is amazing how much you miss the ocean after 3 years in the prairies.

Are the any areas we should avoid going into when we are visiting? I remember when I first landed in Calgary, I got lost and I ended up driving into the worst area for hookers Good job I didn't stop and ask for directions.

Cheers

Karen
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Wallaces
I got lost and I ended up driving into the worst area for hookers
I haven't found any of them around here

Depending where you stay, if you stay at a place set up for migrants, the owners of the property may be of great help with information on their area.

Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:44 am
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Depending where you stay, if you stay at a place set up for migrants, the owners of the property may be of great help with information on their area.
If you are prepared to go a bit further afield, check out the Sunshine Coast. It is one and a half hours North of Brisbane and much less of a city. Lots and lots of gorgeous beaches. Just a thought...
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Many thanks all of you. We have checked out the Gold Coast and we like the look of it a lot. Not sure what it would be like to live in. But we will be certainly visiting on our hols.!!

Thanks
Karen
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

LJ Hooker are still at Victoria Point

WW
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

WW
But no longer on the corner, they've moved on....

Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

But no longer on the corner, they've moved on....
Down on the waterfront.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:55 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

WW
Somewhere in the house I have a newspaper clipping from the local paper that says:

"Top Hooker firm wins award"

Loved the title so I just had to save it!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:56 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks all of you. We have checked out the Gold Coast and we like the look of it a lot. Not sure what it would be like to live in. But we will be certainly visiting on our hols.!!

Thanks
Karen
I suppose it depends on where you'll be working. If you're working in the Brisbane CBD it might be quicker to commute from the Bayside area.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by comet555
I suppose it depends on where you'll be working. If you're working in the Brisbane CBD it might be quicker to commute from the Bayside area.
Bayside is nice, not checked out housing cost yet but we have a few bbq's there (yes I know we're fresh off the boat). About 30 mins drive to the city.

I am also proud to say that I have found abc's 1.79c/2L milk on our most recent trip although we won't be going out that far just for our milk:-).

Last edited by gmralston; Jan 27th 2010 at 12:24 am.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there we are the Wallaces family. We originally from the UK but actually immigrated to Calgary, Canada 3 years ago. After enduring the long, long, long winters, we think that we might be better suited to a sunnier climate.

We are coming over in June for long holiday staying 2 weeks in NZ and 3 weeks in Brisbane.

We are really just hoping that some of you folks would be good enough to give us some advice on what communities are good for families, as we want to have a look at housing while we are over. We don't want to be too close to the city.

Also could anyone make a suggestion as to where to stay while we are there in June, what areas are good and where we should absolutely avoid. We will probably need self-catering accommodation..

Sorry for being a little vague, we are just trying to plan out our trip and it is just so overwhelming. We have no family or friends in Brisbane to give us advice and you all seem like a nice bunch of people, so we thought we'd give it a go.

Cheers
Karen

Hi Karen

Welcome to BE. I agree with the people who suggest living in the bayside area. We love it!! We live here with our young family and couldn't be happier.

Give me a shout if you need somewhere to stay - I have a short term rental in Redland Bay which is in the Bayside. The link for the details is in my signature.

Good luck with your plans

Love

Rudi
x
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by gmralston
I am also proud to say that I have found abc's 1.79c/2L milk on our most recent trip although we won't be going out that far just for our milk:-).

I've actually just got back from that shop.. spent $19.07

$5.00 2 Doz 700gms eggs
$2.55 8.8 kg watermelon
$1.49 1 loaf bread
$1.79 2lt milk
$1.98 2 x 250gm punnets of Strawberries
$0.99 1kg sweet Potatoes
$1.59 1kg Tomatoes
$2.99 2kgs Royal Gala apples
$0.69 2.87kg Jap Pumpkin

Not sure if the watermelon is the right size, but my wife didn't say how much to get !! Does seem a bit heavy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.