Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please please help me with car reg, in NSW???

Please please help me with car reg, in NSW???

Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Question Please please help me with car reg, in NSW???

I need to change my number plate to NSW, in order to do it, I need to get a NSW 12 months 3rd party insurance, so far so good guys I understand what they want.

okay I call the insurance company to get the 3rd party, then she asks me what is " the shape Classification" so I said its Wagon, she said thats not it, then she said you need to look for "GMV" as its required for NSW registration.
So the woman from insurance company said call Qld where you last had your car register, they dont know what it is.

I have called Toyota, they dont know what earth is "GMV" is either? well I'm woman with her hubby's away, who doesnt understand about cars except to drive it.
Can anyone help please, I'm so clueless.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please please help me with car reg, in NSW???

I'd call a different insurance company.

What an odd question, I am sure I just said what car I have.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:50 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Bermuda - try a different insurance company.

It certainly wasn't something I was asked.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:07 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I agree with Bermuda - try a different insurance company.

It certainly wasn't something I was asked.

I think it's the weight of the car - it will be printed on your registration certificate that you haven't got yet because you need to get the insurance to obtain it...

Welcome to NSW.

S
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:20 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I think it's the weight of the car - it will be printed on your registration certificate that you haven't got yet because you need to get the insurance to obtain it...

Welcome to NSW.

S
Its still not something I've ever been asked for when insuring a car..
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Its still not something I've ever been asked for when insuring a car..

Try GIO. Looks like they don't ask for it, plus they have always been the cheapest (though, the price is usually only a couple of $ difference anyway)

http://www.gio.com.au/car-insurance/ctp-greenslip-quote

S
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:28 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, I googled everything I could think of in relation to OP question. Found absolutley nothing.

It may be something to do with weight but this only applies to trucks.

It might be value but this isn't what the ins company asked.

I went all through the NSW rego site. Zilch.

I think that when she said it wasn't a wagon, something on her screen was telling her it was a truck. Guess she typed in the wrong info from the start.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:33 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
For what it's worth, I googled everything I could think of in relation to OP question. Found absolutley nothing.

I think that when she said it wasn't a wagon, something on her screen was telling her it was a truck. Guess she typed in the wrong info from the start.

On the Registration Certificate, it's GVM, which is Gross Vehicular Mass or similar, but is only applicable to goods vehicles etc, so I imagine that what you say is correct.

If the OP has a look at the link I posted above, there is a sample registration certificate for a car, and you can see that the GVM field is left blank, it is just the tare weight that is entered.

S
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

According to the RTA website a Wagon is WAG. Maybe the woman you got was a moron and couldn't fit five letters in the space.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:09 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly is GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) and it applies to all vehicles, not just trucks. It should be listed in the owner's handbook that came with the car. It is the maximum weight the car can be when full of petrol, water, driver, passengers and luggage.

If you tow anything then there will also be a GCM (Gross Combined Mass) limit which is the maximum weight of the car and trailer.

For example, a Ford Falcon has a kerb weight (tare) of 1580kg and a GVM of 2820kg - which means you can carry over 1.2 tonne in it. A 200 landcruiser has a kerb weight of 2555kg and a GVM of only 3300kg, which means it can only carry less than 800kg.

On an ordinary car licence you are limited to a GVM of 4.5 tonne.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes

That's not a 'shape' though. If the woman asks about weight or mass, why would she say 'shape classification'?

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
It certainly is GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) and it applies to all vehicles, not just trucks. It should be listed in the owner's handbook that came with the car. It is the maximum weight the car can be when full of petrol, water, driver, passengers and luggage.

If you tow anything then there will also be a GCM (Gross Combined Mass) limit which is the maximum weight of the car and trailer.

For example, a Ford Falcon has a kerb weight (tare) of 1580kg and a GVM of 2820kg - which means you can carry over 1.2 tonne in it. A 200 landcruiser has a kerb weight of 2555kg and a GVM of only 3300kg, which means it can only carry less than 800kg.

Is this not the info she needs then? Page 66?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:17 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by KJCherokee

But you don't need the GVM to register a private car in NSW. You do need it to register a PSV or a truck or ute or similar.

S
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

The outcome, I called another insurance company & they werent interested in GMV & insured the car, what relife.

The whole day from 9 am till 3:30 pm I was on the telephone trying to find out what this GMV was, its very sad that these insurance company & more so RTA dont train their staff on the questions & expect people should just know, when they dont even know what the letter stand for.

I'm going to get my new plate from Frenchs Forset rather Chatswood, the staff are just too rude & unhelpful in that office

Many thanks guys you all have been very helpful cant say the same for the first insurance company or Chatswood RTA.