Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please let Tesco Come To These Extortionate Shores

Please let Tesco Come To These Extortionate Shores

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:19 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please let Tesco Come To These Extortionate Shores

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...742974158.html
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please let Tesco Come To These Extortionate Shores

I'm all for competition, but Tesco's - seriously!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:27 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw an add on ITV broadband £7.95 a month, it is so damn expensive here.

Tesco's here? Hell yes!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:29 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm all for competition, but Tesco's - seriously!
What do you suggest then? Alternatives?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
What do you suggest then? Alternatives?

Anyone but Tesco's

I used to shop there until I realised that by shopping at Asda or Morissons I could save about 15% of my bill. They are rip off merchants and anyone who thinks they'll "cut the price of food down" are kidding themselves.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:38 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone but Tesco's

I used to shop there until I realised that by shopping at Asda or Morissons I could save about 15% of my bill. They are rip off merchants and anyone who thinks they'll "cut the price of food down" are kidding themselves.
We used to shop in Sainsbury's more expensive than Tesco but better.

If someone comes in and forces Coles and Safeway to drop prices does it matter who it is?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:38 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Wirelessly posted (t/x: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x320)

yes, if we let tesco get rid of all the small shops like in the uk, aus will be just as cheap. hmmmm. i don't like THAT price.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by CynOpt
Wirelessly posted (t/x: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x320)

yes, if we let tesco get rid of all the small shops like in the uk, aus will be just as cheap. hmmmm. i don't like THAT price.
Easy for you to say you're not here being ripped off.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fraser
We used to shop in Sainsbury's more expensive than Tesco but better.

If someone comes in and forces Coles and Safeway to drop prices does it matter who it is?
But I don't think Tesco's would come in and force anyone to lower their prices. I think they would just price their stuff the same and take a share of the profits. I don't for one minute think that that there would be any saving passed onto the consumer.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:44 pm

But I don't think Tesco's would come in and force anyone to lower their prices. I think they would just price their stuff the same and take a share of the profits. I don't for one minute think that that there would be any saving passed onto the consumer.
I disagree they would have to undercut the competition to get a foothold.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:47 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone catch the rest of Current Affair?
The great milk rip off means we pay 40% more for full cream than the U.S & up to 80% for semi skimmed. Prices have gone up 150% in 10 years yet the primary producers are still getting exactly the same per litre.
Coles & Woolies have been caught conspiring to keep the cost of goods artificially high.
Look at the price of fuel at their stores once the competition is eliminated!
Diesel is now a massive 30c dearer per litre than unleaded yet four years ago it was 10 c cheaper
Competition is needed desperately
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is even in Tesco did open here it doesn't mean they will stock the same standard of products as the UK as all the suppliers will be totally different and if you're expecting nice convenience foods forget it - I don't think there are any companies that make them here (a gap in the market for someone!)

Hungary has Tesco (my father lives in Budapest) and it is totally different to UK Tesco-all different products (a few English bits for expats) and big tanks with live fish swimming around which you would never see in UK!

Hence they would probably not be much competition and prices would not go down in others...
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Tesco's may make an alarmingly huge profit but they did manage to introduce a hell of a lot of choice (before the likes of Sainsbury's) in the UK and they also priced things quite competitively. I've never seen a "price-check" shopping here and that's because the market is nigh on monopolised.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fraser
I disagree they would have to undercut the competition to get a foothold.

Maybe, but how long would that last?. Especially when they realise that they can get away with charging higher prices - usually by sticking a 'produce of Australia' sticker on it.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:51 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Maybe, but how long would that last?. Especially when they realise that they can get away with charging higher prices - usually by sticking a 'produce of Australia' sticker on it.
So, what's a good alternative then (to Tescos)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.