Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP!! When do you call it a day?

PLEASE HELP!! When do you call it a day?

Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:24 am
Just Joined

toozpleeeeease is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PLEASE HELP!! When do you call it a day?

When I was in leaving primary school I won the annual trophy for ‘Achievement Through Endeavour’ I didn’t know quite what it meant but afterwards my dad told me he was so proud as it was the’ best award handed out’ . I am now 32, 33 in October (important info for later!) and still seem to carry this torch…’ If I keep trying it will happen’ .
But what if 4 years on when you thought you’d made it you find out you totally haven’t?
I went to Australia in 2007 on a years working holiday visa. I loved it - totally loved it. Ever since have been trying to work out how to get back.
I am a primary school teacher . I started out on a 4 year teaching degree in the UK but my dad was very ill and so I left after the first term and went home. I went back to uni the following year but they had changed the course to a three year course, which at the time I thought was wonderful as it meant I would still finish at the same time as my friends I originally started with.
That was until I tried to get my skills assessed for here and was told I needed the equivalent of a 4 year degree. I then went and found a post grad diploma that would enrol me ( I only got a 2:2 in my teaching degree) which was in outdoor and experiential learning. This was because since finishing uni as well as teaching for three years I had worked in quite a few outdoor centres and the likes. I am not at all academic but I worked my way through it part time whilst teaching and finished off here in New Zealand where I have been since last September. I finally completed it and got my certificate 3 days ago. The same day I sent my paperwork off to the skills assessment board for education knowing I now had all qualifications I needed.
Everything was in the post, certified and correct 2 hours after my PGD certificate was posted through my door.
That afternoon I called ACT ( my soon to be sponsoring state for the 176) whom told me that primary teachers haven’t been on their ‘list’ for quite a long time. I was adamant that it was and not only was it but was in green meaning in my own terms ‘plenty of space – roll up ,roll up’. What I failed to see is that it was only for ‘special education teachers’. I am not this. Totally gutted but picked myself up off the floor and moved on…
I spoke to SA and NT whom also both have ‘Primary teachers ‘ on their lists but which both are in orange and say ‘low level’ – in my terms - ‘get it in quick!’
When I spoke to SA she told me although she wasn’t meant to say anything as the website has not yet been changed and the official level has not been reached she said it would be in a couple of days - 3 or 4 because there were already enough applications to take that occupation over its quota. She was telling me this as I had booked my IELTS for this Saturday – (which in itself was a mission of a 9 hour drive to sit and had to be back for work the next day - also no car and live in the middle of nowhere – no trains, no buses – was going to try and hitch!) basically she didn’t want me to waste my money.
I then spoke to NT who said their processing time is around 30 weeks at the moment ( SA said theirs is around 3 ½ weeks – how can it be so different??)
I believe I needed to do all of this before 1st July as by the end of July I would not have taught for 12 months in the last 24 and by the beginning of October I would be 33 – both things meaning I would lose points and then not have enough.
Today I have looked into EMS – I haven’t worked 3 out of the last 5 in my occupation :O( Which is one of the criteria (but I have worked 5 in the last 10 years?) and anyway I have looked through jobs on Seek, called a few agencies who said they are not aware of any schools sponsoring people anymore – hadn’t done it for years. So who would sponsor me anyway???
What do I do??? Is this where I get the award saying ‘It’s a shame ‘cos she tried real hard’!
It’s just little old me, no kids, no boyfriend, no house to sell, no pets, just me REALLY REALLY wanting to live in Australia – particularly Western Australia but right now I’d go to the arse end of anywhere if it meant I could get my visa.
It seems to be all I’ve been working towards for the last however long. PGD and £2600 to pay for it, Skills assessment in, IELTS booked for Saturday….What do I do? I feel so sick – I can’t believe I went for a celebratory pint as soon as I’d posted my skills assessment off and now this??? I have cried too much in the last few days and my head is in a total whirl.
Please someone be real with me. If you have some awesome advice please share. There was a plan to get a Migration agent but I just don’t think I can afford the fees on top of the other things otherwise of course this is what I would do.
I don’t know how to stop thinking of really irrelevant and unrealistic avenues for me to try and take and even those seem to be down to a long winding dirt track right now.
Hope this makes sense.
Help. Please.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PLEASE HELP!! When do you call it a day?

It doesn't seem like you have many options and no point pretending otherwise. If only NT are sponsoring then you either apply there or wait until other states next update their lists. You mention the delay will be a problem because of being out of the profession, I guess that might also put you at a disadvantage against other people applying for state sponsorship anyway. So to pursue skilled migration I would think you need to start working as a primary teacher again.

What are you doing in NZ and what is your visa status there by the way?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

ReTrain as a registered nurse...

Having said that, wouldnt be surprised to see them coming off the list in the future....

How much extra would it take to top up to special needs??????
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
ReTrain as a registered nurse...

Having said that, wouldnt be surprised to see them coming off the list in the future....

How much extra would it take to top up to special needs??????
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to think nursing isn't as safe as it was. I think it'll probably stay on the skills list, but sponsorship is getting harder and rarer.

To the OP......start drinking in pubs frequented by Aussies, and get "friendly" with one.....Spouse visas will always be a good way in, if you have a genuine rel'ship of course

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 29th 2012 at 7:08 am. Reason: krap spelling, blame Qantas
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to think nursing isn't as safe as it was. I think it'll probably stay on the skills list, but sponsorship is getting harder and rarer.

To the OP......start drinking in pubs frequented by Aussie blokes, and get "friendly" with one.....Spouse visas will always be a good way in, if you have a genuione rel'ship of course
Nice one Polly!!

To the OP; sometimes a 'hubby' can be a pain...review these very boards....!
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:37 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Nice one Polly!!

To the OP; sometimes a 'hubby' can be a pain...review these very boards....!
Mmmm can be tricky being married to an Aussie (or anyone with a totally different background) but there are plenty of success stories on here Just a shame there are a few that have turned out to be less successful
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:46 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Mmmm can be tricky being married to an Aussie (or anyone with a totally different background) but there are plenty of success stories on here Just a shame there are a few that have turned out to be less successful
Better to pay a few quid and get a 'gay' to marry you.

To the OP it looks like you are stuck waiting on NT and you may have to do some work in NZ to stay within the work requirements. I'd be careful what you wish for - some of the NT communities are very remote, can be dangerous (I have a friend who did a year in Arnheim Land and slept with a knife under her pillow) and you would be teaching with virtually no resources - no internet etc

I would speak to a migration agent - try True Blue migration? (google them) - they were pretty good with us and wangled us in somehow. Advice is free.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
some of the NT communities are very remote, can be dangerous (I have a friend who did a year in Arnheim Land and slept with a knife under her pillow)
I love trips that involve knives...only last year on a jaunt a bloke was observing his pocket knife. I withdrew mine...wait for it...and said:

"That's not a knife....this is a knife..."

(I was still with the party at nightfall and not on my own).
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, looks like your only solution is to marry an Aussie Earls Court is the place to go! (Not that it is a course I would generally recommend however LOL)
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, looks like your only solution is to marry an Aussie Earls Court is the place to go! (Not that it is a course I would generally recommend however LOL)
I'd do it for a nominal fee....(providing the Missus approves..)
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:16 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by quoll
if needs must.......

I'd do it for a nominal fee....(providing the Missus approves..)
Think you might need a divorce first
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toozpleeeeease
Help. Please.
Agree with the others that your chances are looking slim unless you happen to meet a nice Aussie and fall in love.

And sorry to be pedantic, but as a teacher I would have thought you would know about spacing and paragraphs. Your post was very difficult to read.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Agree with the others that your chances are looking slim unless you happen to meet a nice Aussie and fall in love.

And sorry to be pedantic, but as a teacher I would have thought you would know about spacing and paragraphs. Your post was very difficult to read.
LOL D, I dont think the falling in love bit is necessary!
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

I love trips that involve knives...only last year on a jaunt a bloke was observing his pocket knife. I withdrew mine...wait for it...and said:

"That's not a knife....this is a knife..."

(I was still with the party at nightfall and not on my own).
That made me laugh thanks
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butterfly Bokeh
That made me laugh thanks
Is it not possible for a school to sponsor you? ie: Can you not look for remote schools in WA and contact them about sponsorship? Or is sponsorship only done through the department of education in individual states, and not by individual schools?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.