Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

please help , what docs needed to rent a house

please help , what docs needed to rent a house

Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

ktee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant future
Default please help , what docs needed to rent a house

Hi there we leave in 4 weeks and i am trying to get together documents to take, what is needed to rent a house, document wise. any help much appreciated thanks
kate
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: please help , what docs needed to rent a house

Hi there,

I heard off someone getting a referance from their bank saying they had paid their mortgage regulary (I suppose you could ask your landlord for the same, if you currently rent) I have also heard of someone asking their estate agents for a letter saying that the house was clean and in good nick etc, if your selling that is.

Im sure you'll get more exhaustive lists.

Good luck
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:29 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doje6863
Hi there,

I heard off someone getting a referance from their bank saying they had paid their mortgage regulary (I suppose you could ask your landlord for the same, if you currently rent) I have also heard of someone asking their estate agents for a letter saying that the house was clean and in good nick etc, if your selling that is.

Good luck
I think you need a letter confirming your salary. A job offer letter which states your annual salary would do if you havent got your payslips when you go to rent.Also, as mentioned above you need references from either your mortgage lender or landlord. Some people have said if you offer a few months rent upfront they will look on you more favourably as a prospective tennant.
I think a driving lisence or passport for ID also and you'll need your tax file number probobly as well.That should do it.
All the best,

*pearly*
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:05 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ktee
Hi there we leave in 4 weeks and i am trying to get together documents to take, what is needed to rent a house, document wise. any help much appreciated thanks
kate
We just gave copies of our Passports, Driving Licences and a copy of a letter from our bank showing our current address. That was all. We did however pay 3 months in advance which does seem to make a difference. One of the best things you can do when you get here is to sort your driving licence out... Everyone wants to see it for absolutely anything...
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ktee
kate
I was just asked to show that I had a decent bank balance to demonstrate that I could pay the rent. I didn't have to pay any more than a month in advance. I did take references and mortgage statements but these have never been asked for.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Money usually talks - and the offer of a couple of months rent up front often does the trick in securing a rental. Depending on where you are it can be VERY competitive - and your application needs to stand above the rest.

We included a copy of the estate agents sales particulars - just to show how well we kept our house!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:05 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doje6863
Hi there,

Good luck
Not true at all. Your history in the UK is irrelevant. All that you will need are your current employment details, passport maybe since you wont have a recent australian landlord. If your paying rent up front as some do, you'll find that all you need is your cheque book.

Dont bother with taking UK references with you. They are trying to simply establish that you can afford to pay the rent and aren't some dodgy druggie.