Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please help 'SKY'

Please help 'SKY'

Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Please help 'SKY'

I hope someone can offer me some help. When we left the Uk we stupidly cancelled with Sky over the phone (which they accepted), this was 23rd February. They then started sending bills to us (mail redirected to my mums). My mum phoned them and explained, no problem they said, then more bills. My mum then agreed (cause she worries) that she would pay them on our behalf up until 3rd April which was all put in writing by Sky and the account closed. My mum has phoned me today in a terrible state after worrying all night that apparently we now owe them £195 and the debt has been given to a debt agency who have contacted our old address 3 times now wanting payment. The people in my old house have (very kindly:curse given them my new telephone in Oz but they havent contacted us yet. Sky will not listen anymore saying the debt has now been given to someone else even though we have it in writing that the account is closed and paid up. My mum has made an appointment with the citizens advise on Monday to try and get some advice.
Anyone know what I should do?

S xx
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:40 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help 'SKY'

I used to work for a debt collection agency. You are just one of thousands on their database, do not take anything they send you to heart.

Firstly, get a copy of any correspondence from SKY confirming your account will be closed. Get a list of dates of telephone conversations (with names if poss) too. Send copies of these to the debt collectors and tell them to not send any further demands.

If you only owe 195 quid, don't panic. They would not pursue this further as it would cost too much money for their client.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Streaks
I hope someone can offer me some help. When we left the Uk we stupidly cancelled with Sky over the phone (which they accepted), this was 23rd February. They then started sending bills to us (mail redirected to my mums). My mum phoned them and explained, no problem they said, then more bills. My mum then agreed (cause she worries) that she would pay them on our behalf up until 3rd April which was all put in writing by Sky and the account closed. My mum has phoned me today in a terrible state after worrying all night that apparently we now owe them £195 and the debt has been given to a debt agency who have contacted our old address 3 times now wanting payment. The people in my old house have (very kindly:curse given them my new telephone in Oz but they havent contacted us yet. Sky will not listen anymore saying the debt has now been given to someone else even though we have it in writing that the account is closed and paid up. My mum has made an appointment with the citizens advise on Monday to try and get some advice.
Anyone know what I should do?

S xx

You should ring them, tell them to send the debt collector to Australia and then you will pay it

Citizens advice should sort it out. I wouldn't worry about it, at least not until you have spoken to them anyway. Just make sure she takes all the letters etc with her.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

sorry no advice but same happened to us .... finally threatened to go to uk local papers ... wonders upon wonders, an apology!

tiscali were as bad but i gave in and paid that one!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind but my poor Mum is trying to deal with it all, she is a real worrier and of the generation that believe debt collectors will come and bash her door down in the middle of the night and make her homeless!!! (because she had to give them her details when sorting it all out for us)

Thanks for your help guys I'm a bit calmer now

S xx
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

They wont come and bash her door down. Tell her not to worry about it. At the end of the day, if she has paid it can can prove that she paid it, there is nothing to chase you for.

I would imagine that a conversation with the debt collector company will resolve it. At the end of the day, the debt would have been yours anyway and, like you said, are they going to come and knock on your door for it?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
sorry no advice but same happened to us .... finally threatened to go to uk local papers ... wonders upon wonders, an apology!

tiscali were as bad but i gave in and paid that one!
I had the same with Tiscali. Tried to charge me for calls I made 3 months after I left the UK. Muppets!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Bonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to all

Contact the Debt Collection Company immediately, personally. For evey letter your sent, you'll receive additional charges to your "oustanding Account", ask them to freeze the acccount charges.

Every Payment made to the Collection Company will not clear your 'Debt' for example.. every £10 paid to account, £7.50 of it, will go towards costs and fees, incurred collecting the debt, so your debt will only reduce by £2.50.

It's a Debt Trap, you need to clear quickly, and if nessesary get a Lawyer onto them, and it'll be frozen as 'Disputed Debt'.

But, you need to get them to freeze the Charges ASAP, no matter who owes who what, the debt will incurr 'expenses' daily.

good luck

p.s. Don't think for a moment they will not pursue this, they now have all your mothers details, and know she contacts you, they will pursue this.

Last edited by Bonnybute; Jun 14th 2007 at 8:30 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:45 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind but my poor Mum is trying to deal with it all, she is a real worrier and of the generation that believe debt collectors will come and bash her door down in the middle of the night and make her homeless!!! (because she had to give them her details when sorting it all out for us)
Sky (and NTL) do this all the time. I used to work for our local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) and we actually had a file just for Sky and another one just for NTL. At our CAB we would write letters to companies on behalf of people. Hopefully your mother's local CAB will do the same.

As for collector's bashing down doors: they are not allowed to do this. They are however allowed to come in if you open the door to them or climb in through a window that's left open! And once they are in, they are allowed to take things (there are some rules about things they are not allowed to take, but they don't always follow the rules). As it's you who "owes" the debt and not your mother, they shouldn't come round to her at all. But again: debt collectors do not always play by the rules.

At my CAB we would therefore advise people to only open the door to people you know personally. You may want to pass this on to your mother, just in case the debt collectors come round before CAB manage to sort it.

Gina
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Sky (and NTL) do this all the time. I used to work for our local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) and we actually had a file just for Sky and another one just for NTL. At our CAB we would write letters to companies on behalf of people. Hopefully your mother's local CAB will do the same.

As for collector's bashing down doors: they are not allowed to do this. They are however allowed to come in if you open the door to them or climb in through a window that's left open! And once they are in, they are allowed to take things (there are some rules about things they are not allowed to take, but they don't always follow the rules). As it's you who "owes" the debt and not your mother, they shouldn't come round to her at all. But again: debt collectors do not always play by the rules.

At my CAB we would therefore advise people to only open the door to people you know personally. You may want to pass this on to your mother, just in case the debt collectors come round before CAB manage to sort it.

Gina
Don't they need a court order or something?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Bonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to all

Court Order, County Court judgements etc, can be applied for, without your knowledge, or even notification.:curse:

Therefore, they would have one, before climbing into your open window..

BUT!! the fees for applying for these 'Orders' will be added to YOUR "outstanding Debt"

Good Luck
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bonnybute
Court Order, County Court judgements etc, can be applied for, without your knowledge, or even notification.:curse:

BUT!! the fees for applying for these 'Orders' will be added to YOUR "outstanding Debt"

Good Luck
Actually they do have to give official notice of impending action...usually 21 days. You're quite right about the costs being added though.

However, they will not do this as the legal jurisdiction in Australia completely differs to the UK and it would cost them a fortune to enforce judgement if it came to that. Trust me...we wouldn't even go for 1000's of pounds owing in Ireland as the enforcement costs were so high, so what the heck they'd be over here...???!!!!

Anyway, it's all irrelevant as the debt is paid, all she needs to do is prove it to them.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

an update

It appears that Sky are adamant that they did not receive the final closing cheque amount. The bank are now involved as they have confirmed from their records that the cheque was indeed made out to Sky and has been cashed. Hopefully it will be resolved very soon. Thanks for your thoughts and support everybody.

S xx
Old Jun 14th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

an update

It appears that Sky are adamant that they did not receive the final closing cheque amount. The bank are now involved as they have confirmed from their records that the cheque was indeed made out to Sky and has been cashed. Hopefully it will be resolved very soon. Thanks for your thoughts and support everybody.

S xx
What a complete pain in the R's
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bonnybute

Good Luck
#

Unless I'm missing something there is no way they can do anything in connection with you mum, be it forced entry what ever - the dept is yours not hers and she cannot be held responsible. As you no longer have any attachment to the UK they would have to chase you in Aus.

Get your "proof" together, find the direct contact details of a director of Sky and "scream blue murder" in a written complaint including the fact that you Mum is being harassed. I had similar problems with Orange - they dropped it like a hot potato. Good luck.

Bruce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.