Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please help regarding British Consulate in Jakarta - passport taken by company

Please help regarding British Consulate in Jakarta - passport taken by company

Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:20 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please help regarding British Consulate in Jakarta - passport taken by company

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.
My young friends partner answered an advert in a newspaper to work in Jakarta. They are a young family and he thought he was doing the right thing.
He has been there 4 days and they have taken his passport, his girlfriend back in the UK is distraught and he is scared. We are talking about a very young couple in their early 20's with 2 daughters, he was just desperate for a job in the recession.
I need to know his rights as a British Citizen. I have messaged her the British Consulate in Jakarta and emergency numbers but is there anything else she should know?Please be empathetic towards this family, yes he was naive, we can't change that now.
J x
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help regarding British Consulate in Jakarta - passport taken by company

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
My young friends partner answered an advert in a newspaper to work in Jakarta. They are a young family and he thought he was doing the right thing.
He has been there 4 days and they have taken his passport, his girlfriend back in the UK is distraught and he is scared. We are talking about a very young couple in their early 20's with 2 daughters, he was just desperate for a job in the recession.
I need to know his rights as a British Citizen. I have messaged her the British Consulate in Jakarta and emergency numbers but is there anything else she should know?Please be empathetic towards this family, yes he was naive, we can't change that now.
J x
Best route is the British Consulate, assuming that he has asked them to return it and had no joy. The company has no legal right to hold the passport, it is the property of the British Govt.

Wonder if he could get it cancelled as lost/stolen then apply for a replacement.

Sounds like a JAJ question if hes around....
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:09 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help regarding British Consulate in Jakarta - passport taken by company

Jakarta is not the end of the earth. His best bet is to try to deal with it locally.

I'm sure he must have access to the internet so he could go on to the fco.gov.uk site and work out for himself the best way to proceed - which is probably the embassy/consulate and local police.

This is the company you posted about yesterday? I couldn't find any record of such a company being based in Jakarta. Message me more details if you want me to try to dig deeper, I have friends there.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:16 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

1. CALM DOWN.

2. He is probably teaching English, and its a common practice for the schools to take and hold passports. Remember that it happens a lot to Indonesians in other countries - Maids for instance have their passports held by employers. The purpose is to stop the employee from getting another (better) job.

3. In Indonesia people are expected to carry their KTP (Kartu Tanda Penduduk) Identity card at all times. Foreigners carry a passport or (if they are smart) a photocopy of it. Getting stopped and NOT having proof of who you are will result in paying bribes (not fines) to the police. not big fines but a pain in the bum every time it happens.

4. The victim should play the hard man, and demand his passport back. The locals soon obey a bule who gives orders. Bluff it out.

5. The British embassy are used to this happening and will put pressure on the local police to sort it out if required.

|The British Consulate-General |Deutsche Bank Building 19th Floor, Jalan Imam Bonjol No. 80, Jakarta 10310, Indonesia |(+62 21 319 01314 |Fax : +62 21 398 35538 |*

www.ukinindonesia.fco.gov.uk

People there successfully sorted out a missing passport for me on behalf of a deceased friend. They are quite used to such events and are very helpful.

6. CALM DOWN. I have been working in Indonesia on and off for 25 years. Its an OK place, the fellow will be fine. Please don't worry about him. He will be in Jalan Jaksa or Blok M having a ball.

Ross

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 14th 2011 at 3:02 am. Reason: Been advised to remove personal details of public servants - info forwarded by pm
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:54 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou so much for the replies. I have asked that the name of the company is removed so I don't get into trouble now that there are things going on (even though we could not find any trace of the name).
I've forwarded all the information given to me on here to my friend in the UK so she can tell the partner what to do.
Really appreciated the replies and thanks again.
J x
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:29 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
1. CALM DOWN.

2. He is probably teaching English, and its a common practice for the schools to take and hold passports. Remember that it happens a lot to Indonesians in other countries - Maids for instance have their passports held by employers. The purpose is to stop the employee from getting another (better) job.

3. In Indonesia people are expected to carry their KTP (Kartu Tanda Penduduk) Identity card at all times. Foreigners carry a passport or (if they are smart) a photocopy of it. Getting stopped and NOT having proof of who you are will result in paying bribes (not fines) to the police. not big fines but a pain in the bum every time it happens.

4. The victim should play the hard man, and demand his passport back. The locals soon obey a bule who gives orders. Bluff it out.

>>snip>>

6. CALM DOWN. I have been working in Indonesia on and off for 25 years. Its an OK place, the fellow will be fine. Please don't worry about him. He will be in Jalan Jaksa or Blok M having a ball.

Ross
good brief there Ross!! Just as I would expect of a former SNCO!!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 14th 2011 at 3:03 am. Reason: quote edited - see above
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:57 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
good brief there Ross!! Just as I would expect of a former SNCO!!!
Waaaaaaa!!!!

NCO be damned - I fell through Duntroon!

Its understandable that people worry when things like this happen in Indonesia, but its a common occurrence, and Indonesian people are very nice and helpful.

In 25 years of visiting and working the only time I ever felt threatened was by and English football fan....

Jakarta is very safe....
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:30 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Waaaaaaa!!!!

NCO be damned - I fell through Duntroon!

Its understandable that people worry when things like this happen in Indonesia, but its a common occurrence, and Indonesian people are very nice and helpful.

In 25 years of visiting and working the only time I ever felt threatened was by and English football fan....

Jakarta is very safe....
Of course, I remember now, you know my friend Leigh Brennan from there!
You at the CBD drinks tonight??
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:32 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Talk about a thread hijack!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:57 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Seasider
Talk about a thread hijack!
Hey you....remember your patience!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:06 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by paddyo
Of course, I remember now, you know my friend Leigh Brennan from there!
You at the CBD drinks tonight??
I can only dream. They sent me to a tiny atoll in the pacific for flirting with the bank secretaries..... Now I have a year of looking at fish. We do have VB and XXXX though.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:13 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
J x
If the chap has real problems I can put him in touch with some friends there. There is also a thread on BE on Indonesia. Tell him to have a drink this friday night in BATS at the Shangri La, go to Stadium Saturday night (its a nightclub) or Red Square and have sunday lunch at the Intercontinental.

That should reassure him.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I can only dream. They sent me to a tiny atoll in the pacific for flirting with the bank secretaries..... Now I have a year of looking at fish. We do have VB and XXXX though.
They have indeed punished you if that the only "beer" you have access to. At least there are the fish ...
Old Jul 15th 2011, 8:58 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by HelenTD
They have indeed punished you if that the only "beer" you have access to. At least there are the fish ...
25,000 people crap in the lagoon every morning. The fish don't taste so good......
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

25,000 people crap in the lagoon every morning. The fish don't taste so good......
, hope you survive the experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.