Reload this Page >

Please help me expats!

Please help me expats!

Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

alunfrostbite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help me expats!

Afternoon. Im in need of some advice.

I've just been granted a temporary visa for australia and was thinking of going just after the new year. Trouble is I've got no plan at all - not sure of where to go although i was thinking of sydney.

I'm a qualified electrician so i should find work but I still need somewhere to stay etc.

Anyone got any advice?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me expats!

Originally Posted by alunfrostbite

I've just been granted a temporary visa for australia and was thinking of going just after the new year. Trouble is I've got no plan at all - not sure of where to go although i was thinking of sydney.

I'm a qualified electrician so i should find work but I still need somewhere to stay etc.

Anyone got any advice?
Maybe first decide what your purpose is. eg. See the country or make some money or set up home somewhere else etc

Then tell us what type of place you would like to live, big city, small city, rural, budget, climate, outdoor beach or camping person and/or cafe, theatre, sports person, age group, family, kids etc and everyone will try to help.

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 21st 2009 at 2:33 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fish.01
Maybe first decide what your purpose is. eg. See the country or make some money or set up home somewhere else etc

Then tell us what type of place you would like to live, big city, small city, rural, budget, climate etc and everyone will try to help.

Big city would be nice - I live in shropshire at the moment which is possibly the dullest place in england. I'd like to set up home there in a few years but I want to just go and 'test the water' for a year first and if i like it apply for a permanent visa.

I'm not really too bothered about working as an electrician, I'll pick fruit if needs be.

Also, would i be better off booking a flight now or a last minute one?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Big city would be nice - I live in shropshire at the moment which is possibly the dullest place in england. I'd like to set up home there in a few years but I want to just go and 'test the water' for a year first and if i like it apply for a permanent visa.

I'm not really too bothered about working as an electrician, I'll pick fruit if needs be.

Also, would i be better off booking a flight now or a last minute one?
Maybe try 3 cities:
- Melbourne: big city, colder climate, good access to indoor culture and skiing
- Brisbane: medium city, semi-tropical climate, good access to large resorts and varied outdoor activities
- Perth: small city, mediterranean climate, good access to city/suburban beaches etc

Flights usually better booked early, unless flying in low season and plane is not full. You could consider open jaw or round the world flights I guess as sometimes not much more.

Not much fruit picking in big cities
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

That's a good thing ...................... it'll take you most of the year to get your Aus qualifications
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

How much do the youth hostels in the cities cost? Was thinking of getting off the plane, finding one, and then finding a part time job asap. anyone here had a similar plan in the past? i wish i had some friends or family over there to mooch off til i found my feet.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

How much do the youth hostels in the cities cost? Was thinking of getting off the plane, finding one, and then finding a part time job asap. anyone here had a similar plan in the past? i wish i had some friends or family over there to mooch off til i found my feet.
There's one in Perth's CBD that I walk past every day costs $16 daily. There's another, nicer looking one, across the street but they don't have their prices advertised.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
There's one in Perth's CBD that I walk past every day costs $16 daily. There's another, nicer looking one, across the street but they don't have their prices advertised.

Thats pretty reasonable. Anyone any ideas about sydney prices?

Cheers for the help so far by the way.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:20 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got any advice?
Seriously - explore what you need to do to gain your Australian licence. Do not assume because you have a visa you can just work. There are way too many people who thought that because they passed a TRA they could just register here. Do your homework now, it will save you a world of heartache.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rossi
That's a good thing ...................... it'll take you most of the year to get your Aus qualifications
But he would be able to work in the electrical trade, as an employee, if there were any vacancies.

He just wouldn't be able to do contracting work, or be self employed, without the Australian licence qualification, which he could get while working as an employee.

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:06 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Seriously - explore what you need to do to gain your Australian licence. Do not assume because you have a visa you can just work. There are way too many people who thought that because they passed a TRA they could just register here. Do your homework now, it will save you a world of heartache.
Surely the point of getting a visa is to work?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
is it

Don't tell my wife..........

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Surely it is, but for some trades you also need to be licensed here. My OH, while an engineer, works in security, so needed a security license in order to work in Australia. He also needed a blue card to be able to work any any sites. As Centurion says, simply having a visa isn't always enough.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Hiya i would rather be an electrician when im there but id do anything - i just want to go for the experience and to get away from where i am for a year. I was planning on just finding a job once I got there and hopefully not run out of money before I find one.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:02 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.sydneystar.com.au or www.yha.com.au