Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please HELP......information on Sydney required urgently

Please HELP......information on Sydney required urgently

Old Mar 4th 2004, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please HELP......information on Sydney required urgently

Folks, I hope there are some knowledgeable people out there because I need some help.

I am persuing a business interest/possible job in the North Ryde area of Sydney.

I need to know what are the decent locations around there within a 1 hour drive.

Decent means in terms of good neighbourhood, nice place to live for a family with young kids (aged 7 & 8). We don't want central Sydney......a suburb somewhere where we can get a good house and decent bit of land.....so presumably the further out the better.

Also......need some decent schools near by and a good hospital.

Nothing is specific here....if you could recommend somewhere just let me know.......right now I just don't know whether it's good to be on the coast or not, or near communications links or not, etc etc.

Top priorities are commute by car to North Ryde < 1 hour and a decent neighbourhood for a family.

Where are the people on here bound for Sydney heading ?

I know it's the most expensive city in Oz.....but my salary would reflect that compared to say Perth.

Thanks again folks

PS.....If you hate sydney, don't reply telling me that.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please HELP......information on Sydney required urgently

Originally posted by Olibeneli
Folks, I hope there are some knowledgeable people out there because I need some help.

I am persuing a business interest/possible job in the North Ryde area of Sydney.

I need to know what are the decent locations around there within a 1 hour drive.

Decent means in terms of good neighbourhood, nice place to live for a family with young kids (aged 7 & 8). We don't want central Sydney......a suburb somewhere where we can get a good house and decent bit of land.....so presumably the further out the better.

Nothing is specific here....if you could recommend somewhere just let me know.......right now I just don't know whether it's good to be on the coast or not, or near communications links or not, etc etc.

Top priorities are commute by car to North Ryde < 1 hour and a decent neighbourhood for a family.

I know it's the most expensive city in Oz.....but my salary would reflect that compared to say Perth.

Thanks again folks

I live in Sydney and definitely don't hate it, but I'm in the east.

If you're going to work on the northside, then you must also live on the northside. Anyone that works on one side and lives on the other has rocks in their head.

Ideally, the closer you are to the coast, the better the weather - cooler in summer and milder in winter.

It really comes down to what you can afford. Most areas would be within a 1 hour commute of North Ryde so you have plenty of choice. I think the very best parts of the north are the northern beaches - from Palm Beach down to Manly (leaving out Dee Why) but the leafy suburbs of the Upper North Shore are also lovely (from Chatswood up to Wahroonga), with decent sized gardens and established houses. None of these areas are cheap - in fact they are some of the most expensive real estate in Sydney. Gets cheaper the further out you go - the exception is along the North Shore rail line, which has pretty expensive suburbs all the way to Hornsby. The whole North Shore area is really a series of ridges with the suburbs built mainly on the top of the ridges and bushland lower down. It gives the place a nice non-built-up, bushy feel.

The Ryde area itself is very middle-Australia. Perfectly respectable but not very exciting. Epping is OK too. The Hills district and points west is very suburban and contains a lot of biggish houses on small blocks - but I would loathe to live there, it's a long way out and Funnel Web central. A lot of people on here seem to be heading that way, though. The Dural area to the north of Castle Hill has acreage-type blocks so you get more space up that way.

Like most places - the amount of cash you have to spend will really determine where you can live, so it's hard to suggest specific suburbs.

You cannot really go wrong anywhere north. It's well served with hospitals and schools and if you're close to a rail line has OK transport links. Probably the best part of Sydney to pick for families.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Nicky

Great post ! Very informative.

We are coming over to Sydney next weekend for a look round at neighbourhoods etc. We are early 30's with small baby and living in London.

We will be renting for a year or two and are too young to want to live out in the burbs just yet. Like cool bars and nice restaurants. Fancy living near the beach and will be staying in Manly when we come over. Will probably end up working in the CBD so good transport links are essential.

At the moment I am thinking either Manly or Eastern Beaches. Is there anywhere else you would recommend we have a look at?

Hope I haven't hijacked this thread too much
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your nice reply........very informative.

I am hoping I have got AS $400,000 capital to put down on a house, plus whatever I raise from a mortgage (I don't want a big mortgage).

Given this, if I want a 5 bed house, nice location, etc I guess I'll be looking at a distance outside central Sydney (which is fine)......main thing is finding a nice house this size near decent schools.

Is this amount of money only going to get me a shed ?

thanks
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again folks

Olibeneli

Try these two recent threads for starters - may be of some use. Also, have you tried a search for older advice ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=214370

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=211694
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am hoping I have got AS $400,000 capital to put down on a house, plus whatever I raise from a mortgage (I don't want a big mortgage).

Given this, if I want a 5 bed house, nice location, etc I guess I'll be looking at a distance outside central Sydney (which is fine)......main thing is finding a nice house this size near decent schools.

thanks
The 1st of the links in my above reply has two links from Bondipom to Aus property websites - these are really good for putting in your spec and price and it will show you what you can buy. Piccies too !!!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003
Nicky

Great post ! Very informative.

We are coming over to Sydney next weekend for a look round at neighbourhoods etc. We are early 30's with small baby and living in London.

We will be renting for a year or two and are too young to want to live out in the burbs just yet. Like cool bars and nice restaurants. Fancy living near the beach and will be staying in Manly when we come over. Will probably end up working in the CBD so good transport links are essential.

At the moment I am thinking either Manly or Eastern Beaches. Is there anywhere else you would recommend we have a look at?

Hope I haven't hijacked this thread too much
If you're renting and don't mind living in an apartment then you have a far greater choice of good areas than if you're buying.

Manly would be good choice as you can commute on the ferry, which I always thought would be a great way to start the day. Eastern Suburbs is my area and I live near the beach in Coogee. You could look at any beach or harbourside suburb on the Eastern side of the city. Bondi/Tamarama/Bronte are good, Coogee is backpacker central and isn't really known for its bars and restaurants though it does a great line in take-away food!. Check out Rose Bay/Double Bay/Darling Point/Edgecliff as they are all nice areas and have decent shops and good transport to the city. Heaps of apartments to rent there.

On the northside, Mosman, Cremorne and Neutral Bay are similarly convenient and right on the harbour. You can commute by ferry from there too.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks
You'd definitely find something, somewhere for $5-600,000 and it wouldn't be a shed! For 5-bedrooms you will be looking at going a fair way out.

Sandra is usually on here most nights, she lives on the northside and could probably give you a better idea of local prices than I could. Have a look at realestate.com.au and see if any houses catch your eye in your price range. Then we can tell you what the suburbs are really like!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by nickyc
You'd definitely find something, somewhere for $5-600,000 and it wouldn't be a shed! For 5-bedrooms you will be looking at going a fair way out.

Sandra is usually on here most nights, she lives on the northside and could probably give you a better idea of local prices than I could. Have a look at realestate.com.au and see if any houses catch your eye in your price range. Then we can tell you what the suburbs are really like!
Thank you !

You are a star
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you're renting and don't mind living in an apartment then you have a far greater choice of good areas than if you're buying.

Manly would be good choice as you can commute on the ferry, which I always thought would be a great way to start the day. Eastern Suburbs is my area and I live near the beach in Coogee. You could look at any beach or harbourside suburb on the Eastern side of the city. Bondi/Tamarama/Bronte are good, Coogee is backpacker central and isn't really known for its bars and restaurants though it does a great line in take-away food!. Check out Rose Bay/Double Bay/Darling Point/Edgecliff as they are all nice areas and have decent shops and good transport to the city. Heaps of apartments to rent there.

On the northside, Mosman, Cremorne and Neutral Bay are similarly convenient and right on the harbour. You can commute by ferry from there too.

Cheers Nicky !

Have to say I do fancy going to work on the ferry. Looks like a great way to start the day!

Lots to keep me out of mischief
Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Langer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Olibeneli,

I'll be working in North Ryde fairly soon and a few of the people I work with are living in the Central Coast area ( Gosford, Terrigal etc ) I haven't been up there but they say it takes them approx 1 hour to commute to North Ryde from there. Good bit out of Sydney for a lot of people but it might be suitable. Only problem they hit is when there is an accident, can cause big delays.

Talking to other guys at work who live around Mona Vale they can end up doing an hour as well depending on traffic.

Cheers,

Kieran.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Langer
Hi Olibeneli,

I'll be working in North Ryde fairly soon and a few of the people I work with are living in the Central Coast area ( Gosford, Terrigal etc ) I haven't been up there but they say it takes them approx 1 hour to commute to North Ryde from there. Good bit out of Sydney for a lot of people but it might be suitable. Only problem they hit is when there is an accident, can cause big delays.

Talking to other guys at work who live around Mona Vale they can end up doing an hour as well depending on traffic.

Cheers,

Kieran.
Wow what coincidence....what will you be doing and who for ?

Gosford....isn't that quite some way up the coast ?
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:17 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road

Oli
I would aim for Casle Hill, Cherrybrook, Kellyville, great place great houses great community family based and only up the road

Gary and Terri
Old Mar 5th 2004, 3:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gary / Terri
Oli
I would aim for Casle Hill, Cherrybrook, Kellyville, great place great houses great community family based and only up the road

Gary and Terri
Personally I would avoid Kellyville. It is cheap because of lack of public transport and the place has the worst examples of modern Australian housing.

For Ryde you could also be looking at some of the leafy Northern Sydney areas. Sandra lives in St Ives (aka snives). You would be going in the opposite direction of the traffic. that way you would also be a short drive from the Ocean.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 3:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The Eastern burbs have more nightlife than Manly and are more accessible to the CBD but Manly has enough on its own. Manly is more pricey than the Eastern Beach burbs. It just depends on how much life you need.

The ferry will increase your immunity to motion sickness..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.