Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please Help - I Feel Like Giving Up

Please Help - I Feel Like Giving Up

Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

HJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant future
Default Please Help - I Feel Like Giving Up

Hi there,

We leave a week on Saturday, and I really feel like knocking the whole thing on the head. This f****ing insurance inventory is doing my head in.
I read on one insurance jargon that you have to value everything and itemise it. For example if you have 10 glass objects and you insure for say £300.00 and 1 get broken you will get £30.00. If one costs £150.00 and the others £150.00 between them you will only get paid out the £30.00 unless you have specifically mentioned that.

So how does that happen with every toy, playstation game, husbands work tools. As you can imagine these are not all the same price.

I have sat on the internet looking for the Aussie price as were told by removal company this is what you have to do and then convert to £

Out of 100 boxes it has taken me 5 hours to find the price of items for 5 boxes.

How has everyone else done it.

Sorry to rant, but feel likely cancelling flights and everything and staying in shi***y old England.

Helen
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:59 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help - I Feel Like Giving Up

Originally Posted by HJAMES
Hi there,

We leave a week on Saturday, and I really feel like knocking the whole thing on the head. This f****ing insurance inventory is doing my head in.
I read on one insurance jargon that you have to value everything and itemise it. For example if you have 10 glass objects and you insure for say £300.00 and 1 get broken you will get £30.00. If one costs £150.00 and the others £150.00 between them you will only get paid out the £30.00 unless you have specifically mentioned that.

So how does that happen with every toy, playstation game, husbands work tools. As you can imagine these are not all the same price.

I have sat on the internet looking for the Aussie price as were told by removal company this is what you have to do and then convert to £

Out of 100 boxes it has taken me 5 hours to find the price of items for 5 boxes.

Sorry to rant, but feel likely cancelling flights and everything and staying in shi***y old England.

Helen

At the moment you are frustrated, which most people are when filling in those inventorys, but if you feel like throwing the towel in over this then maybe you should ask yourself do you really want to move here, because there can be more frustrations like this one when you get over here.
From memory (and i might be wrong here cause he seems like a hundred years ago since i did this) but i think on mine i had to value higher value things like tv, couches, crystal etc and put a replacement value on everything else.
Take your time, it will be worth it, ask someone to help you if you are getting too p*ssed off with it
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Hi there,

Helen

Don't give up Helen!

I think in the end we were just rounding things up, certainly didn't go into the sort of detail you are talking about! Who are you using to insure your stuff? We used Letton Percival and the form wasn't half as complicated as the shipping firms, plus they were half the cost If you do a search you will find their details... maybe worth giving them a ring.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:00 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi there,

Helen
correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the insurers after a ball park figure for the total shipment?
do they really need to know the cost of each individual item?
sure if there are high value items in there then they should be itemised, but it appears to me that you're going in to too much detail

what we did was to guesstimate the big things, and then add some for the minor bits and bobs

don't stress, you're nearly here
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:01 am
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

cheer up mate ,it will be worth it in the end , i sumed up how much it would be to replace all the items and worked it from there ...added on a etra 10% to cover everything advised by the movers .. :scared:

when are you due to fly and where are you going to ?

good luck kez x
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

HJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
cheer up mate ,it will be worth it in the end , i sumed up how much it would be to replace all the items and worked it from there ...added on a etra 10% to cover everything advised by the movers .. :scared:

when are you due to fly and where are you going to ?

good luck kez x
9th September going to Perth. Its just my husband has written down all his tools of the trade 10 x A4 pages and they range from items costing £10.00 to items costing £500.00

I have enquired with Letton Percival but still just as confused. Some things you cannot replace in Aus unless you buy from UK, post or ship out and then pay GST on it.

I just cant get my head round it.

Helen
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wren
Don't give up Helen!

I think in the end we were just rounding things up, certainly didn't go into the sort of detail you are talking about! Who are you using to insure your stuff? We used Letton Percival and the form wasn't half as complicated as the shipping firms, plus they were half the cost If you do a search you will find their details... maybe worth giving them a ring.
We are using Pickfords, but the insurance clause was pointed out to us by GB Liners - also if you undervalue they may not pay out!!

I suppose its all come down to luck at the end of the day.

Helen
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I didnt have that headache,no forms ,nothing,i just crossed my fingers as i forgot the insurance!,whoops.Didnt tell the OH though.
donna
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:14 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Helen

when I did ours I felt like leaving the whole ****in lot behind it was doin ma head in, what I did in the end was start with the high value stuff and get prices for that, then with crockery etc I just put 2 sets 30 piece crockery @ £??.....box of cutlery @ £?? case of clothing(50 items) @ £?? for cd's I just put down 300 music cd's @ $30 and so on. Also remember that if you are taking stuff that you cannot replace ie family momentos photos etc then there is no point in insuring them. If you need a hand looking up prices for stuff pm me a lisr and I will see what I can do this end

Calm down hunni it will all be worth it in the end
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:18 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using Pickfords, but the insurance clause was pointed out to us by GB Liners - also if you undervalue they may not pay out!!

Helen
we used Pickfords and had to claim for a couple of things, there insurance co was brilliant..paid out in 2 weeks
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Horrible isn't it - never been so stressed in all my life but it was all so worth it.

In the end I had to guess a few prices, do a job lot, eg. china set = £xx or crockery £yy and just hope that it would be the cheaper stuff that broke if any.

In the end a cheaper than average plate, a dearer iron, the right priced cabinet and a cheaper glass were the things that were broken and they balanced out to about the right amount in total.

I think it was Letton Percival that we used as John Mason customers and they were excellent in paying out our claim. Much more efficient than me who finally put in the claim 2 days before the expiry date - they paid out just a few days later.

Obviously the main reason we pay such a fortune for insurance is in case the boat sinks so ballparks may be all you'd need but it's worth having a true idea of the value of all your important stuff.

Good luck.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:40 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Helen
Hi Helen we faced the same delimma but lets face it the cost of insurance is not cheap and when you weigh out the risk - well I'd go for the essential items but for clothes etc just round it off to a reasonable amount.

I spent ages doing our inventory down to date purchased etc (really anal I know) but the cost came out more than the shipment so roughed it back to come in below £1500.

Have faith the last few days are a test, but you will get through it.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by donna
I didnt have that headache,no forms ,nothing,i just crossed my fingers as i forgot the insurance!,whoops.Didnt tell the OH though.
donna
Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I'd do a good guestimate for the smaller items/clothes etc. If you are bringing large valuable items give replacement costs (in Oz).

I insured a newish 4x4 on return to UK from NZ. Got crushed at Tilbury Docks (crane dropped container on it's container). Got the value of the car in NZ ($30000NZD). However would have been worth $36000 in the UK. $6000 + shipping costs out of pocket.
Roger
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

The Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

Helen
Odds are that you will never have to make a claim so have a glass of wine and guestimate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.