Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please help - driving licences

Please help - driving licences

Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future
Default Please help - driving licences

ok i am totally confused, have been on the NSW Goverment site about changing my license over to a NSW one but its just doesnt make sense to.

i only passed in march this year (will be arriving in oz 21st jan) and the info on the site is a little conflicting. (i really dont want to have to do another test, it took me long enough here, i will be devasted)

On one hand it says

'When converting your overseas licence to a NSW licence, if you hold an acceptable driver or rider licence from one of the recognised countries below, you will be exempt from:

The driver/rider knowledge test, and
The practical driving/riding test.
Note: The exemptions only apply to applicants for Class C (car) and Class R (rider) licences.

Recognised countries
Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark,
Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey,
Ireland, Isle of Man (licences issued since 1 April 1991), Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg,
Malta (licences issued since 2 January 2004), Netherlands, New Zealand (except where a paper licence is presented), Norway, Portugal,
Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA.

but then says.

The licence testing exemptions do not always apply:

If you hold a licence from a recognised country and failed a practical driving/riding test prior to 20 May 2002, you must re-sit and pass a practical driving/riding test before a NSW licence can be issued to you.

Please someone tell me i dont have to do it again

Thanks kelly
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help - driving licences

Originally Posted by taylor25
ok i am totally confused, have been on the NSW Goverment site about changing my license over to a NSW one but its just doesnt make sense to.

i only passed in march this year (will be arriving in oz 21st jan) and the info on the site is a little conflicting. (i really dont want to have to do another test, it took me long enough here, i will be devasted)

On one hand it says

'When converting your overseas licence to a NSW licence, if you hold an acceptable driver or rider licence from one of the recognised countries below, you will be exempt from:

The driver/rider knowledge test, and
The practical driving/riding test.
Note: The exemptions only apply to applicants for Class C (car) and Class R (rider) licences.

Recognised countries
Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark,
Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey,
Ireland, Isle of Man (licences issued since 1 April 1991), Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg,
Malta (licences issued since 2 January 2004), Netherlands, New Zealand (except where a paper licence is presented), Norway, Portugal,
Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA.

but then says.

The licence testing exemptions do not always apply:

If you hold a licence from a recognised country and failed a practical driving/riding test prior to 20 May 2002, you must re-sit and pass a practical driving/riding test before a NSW licence can be issued to you.

Please someone tell me i dont have to do it again

Thanks kelly

i didnt have any problems just showed them my id and give them the money in exchange for a 5 year nsw licence, they said as long as you have been driving more than 2 or 3 years (i think thats how long he said) you dont need p plate which you prob will.

you could phone the RTA and ask to make sure.

James
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

so you mean i will have to have p plates!!, will have to do another test, and will i be able to drive on my own straight away.
Have just booked my flights and was all happy now i am in tears...may sound stupid but only just passed after a long time (and 5th go, nerves got me everytime and i had a horrible examiner and had him EVERYTIME, talk about unlucky)
i am 25 and have a 3 yr old and i need to drive, so am really really upset.

kelly
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taylor25
so you mean i will have to have p plates!!, will have to do another test, and will i be able to drive on my own straight away.
Have just booked my flights and was all happy now i am in tears...may sound stupid but only just passed after a long time (and 5th go, nerves got me everytime and i had a horrible examiner and had him EVERYTIME, talk about unlucky)
i am 25 and have a 3 yr old and i need to drive, so am really really upset.

kelly

you can drive on your uk one for 3 months some people drive for a 1 or 2 on their uks one but your only allowed 3 months from when u get here (each time)

i doubt u will need another test, just show you id and pay your money and buy the P plates prob be all there is to it.

if you need to buy a new car they aint selling to well at the mo i got $5k off mine and was not a demo and was made 5 weeks before i got it

James
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much , have calmed down now, just had a cry fest but partner has read all info for me.

My license was valid from 3rd april 08, so when i arrive in jan i will drive for 3 months on my uk and then apply for NSW ones, by then i would have been drving over 12 months so i can get P2 plates instead of P1's.

After 24months i can apply for full and its just theory type test not pratical, which is all i was worried about, i am not a nervous driver at all ( i drive all the time in dubai, where its crazy yet my mum who has been driving 30 years wont..lol) i love driving but i used to get in to a right state on my actual tests.

thanks
kelly