Reload this Page >

Please help - 1 and half months to departure date

Please help - 1 and half months to departure date

Old Sep 17th 2004, 5:29 am
Post-July guinea pig

CRAZYboutOZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help - 1 and half months to departure date

Hello everyone,

I was a regular poster on the immigration forum and have since received my visa grant. We want to go to Melbourne before the end of the year and there are a few plane tickets left with Quantas for the beginning of November. Now we have to make the desicion fast! Problem is that we have to sell the house, find new homes for the pets, sell our furniture, say goodbye to family, and pack suitcases in one and a half months time. Do you think it can be done? We already have a cash buyer for the house.

Help appreciated! Thanks.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 5:32 am
Badge

Default Re: Please help - 1 and half months to departure date

If your 'cash buyer' comes up with the goods you can do anything..burning the midnight oil - of course.

If they don't - you're in for the long haul..

BM

Old Sep 17th 2004, 7:19 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CRAZYboutOZ
Hello everyone,

I was a regular poster on the immigration forum and have since received my visa grant. We want to go to Melbourne before the end of the year and there are a few plane tickets left with Quantas for the beginning of November. Now we have to make the desicion fast! Problem is that we have to sell the house, find new homes for the pets, sell our furniture, say goodbye to family, and pack suitcases in one and a half months time. Do you think it can be done? We already have a cash buyer for the house.

Help appreciated! Thanks.

Hi there,
If your cash buyer doesn't pull out then you'll be fine, however, any buyer can pull out right up until the contracts are signed. On the negative side though, I've known of buyers pulling out a few days before the contracts were due to be signed, so be careful. If your buyer did pull out you could be stuck trying to sell your house for months and there are people on here desperate to move over to Oz and they have been waiting 9 months already for their house to sell!
Another option is to move anyway, even if your house hasn't sold and leave the house sale in the hands of your solicitor, and this is fine as long as you can afford to pay the mortgate (thats if you have one) and live in Oz at the same time until your house does sell.
Good luck anyway and hope you're in Oz by the end of the year!!!
We're stuck trying to sell our house and we are still hoping to be in Brisbane by Christmas!!
Shell
Old Sep 17th 2004, 7:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Be very wary of a "cash" buyer. It can mean:

1 I have all the purchase money in my bank and no house to sell.

2 I have quite a lot of money in the bank and when I sell my house....

3 I think I've sold my house, then I will have the cash...

4 I have all sorts of investments which I can sell to raise the cash - if I get what I think I could have got six months ago.

5 I can beat you down 'cos I am a cash buyer - and if something better comes up before I sign the contract and they're even more desperate to sell - I can always drive an even better bargain with them.

6 I have no money and no purchaser for my own house - but saying I'm a cash buyer gives me an advantage.

The agent SHOULD make absolutely certain which category a "cash" buyer comes into, but there are agents and agents!

Don't want to put too much of a dampener on it but make sure your cash buyer will deliver, especially with such a timescale. Good luck
Old Sep 17th 2004, 9:40 am
Post-July guinea pig

CRAZYboutOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advice. I see now that there is still a lot that can go wrong.

Any tips or comments about the 1 and a half months 'til departure date? Has anybody else done it in such a small timeframe? We are so stressed out!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by CRAZYboutOZ
Thank you for the advice. I see now that there is still a lot that can go wrong.

Any tips or comments about the 1 and a half months 'til departure date? Has anybody else done it in such a small timeframe? We are so stressed out!

Yes it can be done, We put our house on the market in August being in the £400K+ range we expected it to take quite a while for the sale to go through because of the chain we would likely get in.

Well we sold and are moving out next Friday - Just over five weeks from start to finish,in that time we had to arrange everthing. Shippers are coming in on Wednesday, and I am still working fulltime and have four kids :scared: I think we may be burning the midnight oil over the weekend !

Good Luck with what ever you decide, I just feel that if things are mean't to be they will happen !