Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

please dont laugh i know its a dumb question but!!

please dont laugh i know its a dumb question but!!

Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:13 am
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all
Default please dont laugh i know its a dumb question but!!

if i was calling from Australia to the u.k what do i put before the phone number

i.e if i was calling say this made up number 01268756463 what do i need to put in front is it 4401268 etc or 441268 etc

please i know it sounds a dumb question but i need to know for someone

kind regards
michell
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please dont laugh i know its a dumb question but!!

Originally Posted by michell
if i was calling from Australia to the u.k what do i put before the phone number

i.e if i was calling say this made up number 01268756463 what do i need to put in front is it 4401268 etc or 441268 etc

please i know it sounds a dumb question but i need to know for someone

kind regards
michell
001144 1268 756463
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:27 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
001144 1268 756463

Just to split out Pollyana's already coorect answer:

0011 (code to get an international line out of Australia)
44 (country code for the UK)
then leave out the first 0 of either the landline or mobile number
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:31 am

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
001144 1268 756463
many thanks to you pollyana

kind regards
michell

(actually that someone was me but felt a bit dumb asking, put it down to being very late here )

also thank you also jayr

Last edited by michell; Mar 19th 2008 at 1:33 am. Reason: add thank you
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michell
many thanks to you pollyana

kind regards
michell

(actually that someone was me but felt a bit dumb asking, put it down to being very late here )

also thank you also jayr
While on the subject of international dialling:

Telstra are extemely expensive for making international calls; and alternative landline providers like Optus are only a liitle better.

I recommend to anyone to get a Phone Card for making international calls. These can be bought in most newsagents and usually get printed out on a normal looking receipt whihc includes your PIN and numbers you need to dial to access the service.

Some cards have a connection fee; often 70c with a a lower minute rate. However, this means you get charged 70c everytime you misdail/hit an answerign machine.

My preference is for no connection fee but higher minute rate.

I currently use DAYBREAK which I think charges about 3c per minute to call the UK.

I once calculated my 'phonecard equivalent' cost of the $90 of international calls I'd made on Telstra. The Phone card would have cost $10.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:43 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

Is it an emergency call? Heres hoping not!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by this charming man
Is it an emergency call? Heres hoping not!
Hi charming man,
was that post aimed at me? if it was no its not an emergency, i have just had my second positive E-mail from a prospective sponsor asking for our postal address and telephone numbers here in the u.k (even though they are on hubby's resume) asking when would be a convenient time for them to call hubby, i just wanted it to look a bit more proffesional with putting the international and country code in front of our number.

kind regards
michell
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:02 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

kali tihi!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

When OH was job hunting from the UK he got an Australian "Skype In" number which meant that he could give people an Australian number to call for interviews etc. I think it cost around 15 pounds for the year. Now we are in Sydney we have a UK Skype In number so people can call us for a local rate. You can set Skype so it comes through to your landline/mobile rather than your computer if it's not switched on.