Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please can anyone Help !!

Please can anyone Help !!

Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

whiteknuckleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please can anyone Help !!

my wife is a nurse and has had an offer from a hospital in sydney.

its a sponsorship and first had the telephone interview on 28/09/06

then didnt get the job offered til 21/11/06 (a problem waiting for referees and whoever was dealing with it also was on leave for some time)

not heard anything else til 11/12/06 explaining for sponsorship offer to commence they wanted all passport detail of all family and relationship to my wife etc.

then the last we heard from them was on the 21/12/06 still asking for myself and daughters birthdates as they forgot to ask for them on 11/12/06.

its now approaching towards end of jan and heard nothing !!!

does anyone in nursing or anyone else done a sponsorship know if this is normal we feel lost with it all there is just no communication with big gaps of silence.

i realise that this wont just take a matter of weeks to sort out usually i would of thought 6 or 7 months from start to finish but when you never done this before and no one tells you what is going to happen or what to expect to happen in each stage it feels a bit of a letdown.

we told them that we wanted to be there by no later than aug 07 which leaves plenty of time but that still doesnt mean they dont have to tell us anything.
we feel like we cant plan anything i dont know wether to put the house up for sale yet or wait a while very frustrating.

if anyone can give any advice on how there handling this ie (normal) and what happens in what stages ie (medical police reports etc) this it would be appreciated.
thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please can anyone Help !!

Originally Posted by whiteknuckleman
my wife is a nurse and has had an offer from a hospital in sydney.

its a sponsorship and first had the telephone interview on 28/09/06

then didnt get the job offered til 21/11/06 (a problem waiting for referees and whoever was dealing with it also was on leave for some time)

not heard anything else til 11/12/06 explaining for sponsorship offer to commence they wanted all passport detail of all family and relationship to my wife etc.

then the last we heard from them was on the 21/12/06 still asking for myself and daughters birthdates as they forgot to ask for them on 11/12/06.

its now approaching towards end of jan and heard nothing !!!

does anyone in nursing or anyone else done a sponsorship know if this is normal we feel lost with it all there is just no communication with big gaps of silence.

i realise that this wont just take a matter of weeks to sort out usually i would of thought 6 or 7 months from start to finish but when you never done this before and no one tells you what is going to happen or what to expect to happen in each stage it feels a bit of a letdown.

we told them that we wanted to be there by no later than aug 07 which leaves plenty of time but that still doesnt mean they dont have to tell us anything.
we feel like we cant plan anything i dont know wether to put the house up for sale yet or wait a while very frustrating.

if anyone can give any advice on how there handling this ie (normal) and what happens in what stages ie (medical police reports etc) this it would be appreciated.
thanks.
It sounds like they are very slack!!. Is there any reason you aren't applying for a permanent visa? It doesn't take that much longer and at least you have the security of walking away from jobs that you don't like.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up my whole life for an employer like this
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
It sounds like they are very slack!!. Is there any reason you aren't applying for a permanent visa? It doesn't take that much longer and at least you have the security of walking away from jobs that you don't like.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up my whole life for an employer like this
hi wendy, the thing is the hospital is highly spoke of by a friend who works there and others we know who live in the area.

if you apply for perm residency doesnt that cost a lot where as sponsorship the hospital will take care of it and some sponsorship visas you can walk after a certain period.then if we decide to stay 4 years later we will go for perm.
thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:55 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

I would just email them and ask for an update, alternatively as a nurse there are plenty of other options to explore
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:00 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

hi wendy, the thing is the hospital is highly spoke of by a friend who works there and others we know who live in the area.

if you apply for perm residency doesnt that cost a lot where as sponsorship the hospital will take care of it and some sponsorship visas you can walk after a certain period.then if we decide to stay 4 years later we will go for perm.
thanks.
You need to check this out and get some advice.

If its a 457 visa you I think you dont get any medical or school fees paid. (but look forward to being corrected by those in the know)

Applying for a 136 skilled visa on MODL (your wife would be on modl skill shortage list) is quick 3-6mths and in fees to apply is about 1k pounds. You can do the application yourself without an agent lots of people have and people on here will help you with advice on theforms etc which are very easy. You can still work for the same hospital and have the flexibility to move around at your leisure.

if the job doesnt offer relocation expesnes then you may well be better off with a self applied 136 skilled visa
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.

Ah that's not so bad then. Maybe they are just really busy then!

Perm visa's cost $1990 (about 800 pound), medicals are about 200 pounds each (that's tops!) Of course you need skills recognition as well but I don't know how much that costs.

The only thing you probably wouldn't need for an application in Australia after a few years would be the skills thing (not sure how they work for nurses).

I'd contact them and see what the hold up is. Let us all know how you get on
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:36 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Don't be so english and call them. Forget email, it's for pussy's.

It's been 3 months, you're moving from the other side of the world & need to know what's going on. Anyone who doesn't understand this is not worth working for. There are plenty of hospitals who would take your missus onboard, without this game playing.

By god, I have concerns how you're going to survive out here.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MD09
Don't be so english and call them. Forget email, it's for pussy's.

It's been 3 months, you're moving from the other side of the world & need to know what's going on. Anyone who doesn't understand this is not worth working for. There are plenty of hospitals who would take your missus onboard, without this game playing.

By god, I have concerns how you're going to survive out here.
dont be so english i like your style your right do some degree i cant do with all this pussying around dont forget though its my wifes job dont you think ive wanted to ring them but there not employing me and i keep getting on at my missus to ring them and i dont want to spoil things by pissing them off.

if it would have been my job i would have never left them alone suppose i dont see why they couldnt talk to me on her behalf.

dont worry i will survive out there mate.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

if you apply for perm residency doesnt that cost a lot where as sponsorship the hospital will take care of it
Permanent residence costs a little more but is worth a lot more. Remember that as a temporary resident you will face much higher health and education costs, plus no welfare or citizenship benefits.

and some sponsorship visas you can walk after a certain period.
Reality check time. If you leave your employment on a 457 visa (any reason) then you have a limited period of time - 28 days or so - to find a new sponsor or go home.

then if we decide to stay 4 years later we will go for perm.
thanks.
Have you thought about what happens if you can't get permanent residence? You would have to go home whether you liked it or not.

Permanent residence can be refused for a variety of reasons. There have been cases, for example, where someone in the family has become sick after arriving. And then on top of all the other things to deal with, they then have to worry about being thrown out of Australia because one person may no longer meet health criteria for permanent residence.

Rules can also change in 4 years.

If this hospital are expecting you to uproot yourselves and move across the world to work for them, then why on earth are they not sponsoring for a permanent visa?
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:59 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

dont be so english i like your style your right do some degree i cant do with all this pussying around dont forget though its my wifes job dont you think ive wanted to ring them but there not employing me and i keep getting on at my missus to ring them and i dont want to spoil things by pissing them off.

if it would have been my job i would have never left them alone suppose i dont see why they couldnt talk to me on her behalf.

dont worry i will survive out there mate.
I'd be getting on her back to call and then follow-up until she has answers.

She could even drop a few lies, like we have found a place to buy in Sydney and need to know a definiate date of arrival to let our solicitor know for the contract exchange.

Or

I have relatives in sydney looking at travelling abroad, and would like us to house sit for them. Can you please let me know some dates.

Or how about...

I have had interest from another hospital in oz. Therefore, I need to know where I stand with his application. Usually an employer, if they want you, will pull their finger out quick smart when you start talking other jobs.

She works in nursing for god sakes. She could have a job within an hour of arrival at most Sydney hospitals.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Permanent residence costs a little more but is worth a lot more. Remember that as a temporary resident you will face much higher health and education costs, plus no welfare or citizenship benefits.

Reality check time. If you leave your employment on a 457 visa (any reason) then you have a limited period of time - 28 days or so - to find a new sponsor or go home.

Have you thought about what happens if you can't get permanent residence? You would have to go home whether you liked it or not.

Permanent residence can be refused for a variety of reasons. There have been cases, for example, where someone in the family has become sick after arriving. And then on top of all the other things to deal with, they then have to worry about being thrown out of Australia because one person may no longer meet health criteria for permanent residence.

Rules can also change in 4 years.

If this hospital are expecting you to uproot yourselves and move across the world to work for them, then why on earth are they not sponsoring for a permanent visa?
fair comments JAJ and taken on board thanks. keep em coming anyone i am all ears.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:58 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

fair comments JAJ and taken on board thanks. keep em coming anyone i am all ears.
wkr don't faff around with a hospital that isn't sponsoring your missus.

we came over on a 457 and wish that we had applied for the skilled independent 136 Visa, for the reasons already given.

Of course, your circumstances dictate, but IMHO there's only one way for any Nurse coming over here - go the PR route mate and then you have the control

Good Luck