Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please advice needed on Alexandra Headland /Mooloolaba !!!!

Please advice needed on Alexandra Headland /Mooloolaba !!!!

Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough
Default Please advice needed on Alexandra Headland /Mooloolaba !!!!

Hi
ls if you reading this and can shed any light reply..... looking to book asap a hotel in either Mooloolaba (opsrey or the raffles) or we looking at Breakfree Alexandra Beach in Alex Headland......anyone recommend where to stay. How far is it to Mooloolaba frolm Alex ? Is there enough to do eg resturants shops in Alex ?
Been on the net looking and not coming up with much, any tips advice would be appreciated. We are travelling, husband and I and our 3 yr old.
Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Please advice needed on Alexandra Headland /Mooloolaba !!!!

Originally Posted by obogk
Hi
ls if you reading this and can shed any light reply..... looking to book asap a hotel in either Mooloolaba (opsrey or the raffles) or we looking at Breakfree Alexandra Beach in Alex Headland......anyone recommend where to stay. How far is it to Mooloolaba frolm Alex ? Is there enough to do eg resturants shops in Alex ?
Been on the net looking and not coming up with much, any tips advice would be appreciated. We are travelling, husband and I and our 3 yr old.
Thanks
maloooolabah and alex heads are less than a kilometre apart

alex and marrochydore are less than a kilometre apart

there is only a surf club near to alex, but loads of places tro eat in mooloo or maroochydore.

we stayed in a holiday let in maroochydore called trhe kalhua apartments, dead close to beach 2 bed apartment with full kitchen etc. was great and clean pretty cheap and we found it through buying a hotrl guide mag called jasons (has a website too) with plenty of bargains in , we used it all the way up from byron to noosa, rang ahead and got last minute cheapies, was great

good luck

Al

Last edited by Mr Anderson; Nov 6th 2008 at 1:28 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks
We stayed at the Oaks Seaforth in a 2 bed apt and got a good deal - it was great - very central......

HTH
Itigo
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough

Thanks so much for that, will check both of them out.
would we have to walk to Mooloolaba if we wanted a meal out ? Or would there be something in Alex apart from the Surf Club. Is the beach nice in ALex ?
Having choice and as there is not much of a price and quality difference in the apts I have been quoted which one would you opt for next time Alex or Mooloolaba .....promise wont blame if. just your opinion would be good !
Cheers
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

would we have to walk to Mooloolaba if we wanted a meal out ? Or would there be something in Alex apart from the Surf Club. Is the beach nice in ALex ?
Having choice and as there is not much of a price and quality difference in the apts I have been quoted which one would you opt for next time Alex or Mooloolaba .....promise wont blame if. just your opinion would be good !
Cheers

id go for marrochydore every time

mooloolabah hasnt got many shops like a little seaside village(like a uk country village by the sea)

There is a row of about 10 mainly ital;ian restaurants by the sea which are nice, and a little arcade behind it with an irish pub in, but marrochydore has a cinema, great big mall with loads of shops, a decent curry house and lots of places to eat.

moloolabah in my opion has the nicest beach i saw all the way up the coast. It has massive rock pools, is the crescent shape i like, it is away from a roads egde so fells more like its secluded, and has a rocky outcrop at one edge with a lighthouse on it.

Alex beach is a dull surf beach that is long and straight and goes in to marrochy beach a bit further down. Dont get me wrong, both nice beaches straight out of the uk but mooloolabahs beach is perfect for me

This is my opinoin based on i like more to do on my doorstep so id got for stopping in maroochy any day

If you want peace and quiet and a little village atmos then go for moololabah

if you quieter still go for alex.

They are al ll so close it doent matter but far enough apart to walk every day.

al
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

If you stayed in alex/maroochydore, depending on the street you could walk to surf club, Indian, big rooster, KFC, macdonalds, pizza, bullockies/ beef and ribs type place, sizzler/steak salad all you can eat, thai and many more, there was also japanese and mexican and french but I think they have gone now, and a dozen more popped up probably. We had neighbours there who never cooked

Both alex and mooloolaba beach are surf beaches with surf clubs and patrolled beaches, alexandra heads, is a cove/bay shape with pretty good surf at times, mooloolaba is a bit less rocky, looks longer and flatter, and at one end there is a area called the spit which can look calm, however the odd dumper comes in so be aware even if it looks flat. Both areas are deffo swim in the flags, more than the odd tourist has been swept out. Mooloolaba had a bit of a reputation after a few nighclub brawls, and the council stuck 'no hooning' (teen racers) signs up Its hardly Las Vegas though just the locals went a bit OTT about some of the nighbclub patrons.

If you can stay at Alex/maroochydore just north of the alexandra headland there is no way you will be stuck for stuff to walk to. February can be quite humid, and sometimes wet, however the rain is usually warm at that time of year and we used to walk over and surf rain or not. Great area, having lived in Noosa too, would say for stuff to do its very central.

The maroochydore shopping centre about another klm up the road is the biggest in the area and also has a 12 screen cinema.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 7th 2008 at 6:02 am.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:17 am
Just Joined

welsh-chic is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Please advice needed on Alexandra Headland /Mooloolaba !!!!

Hi, we have just come back from a 2 week holiday in Oz ( we live in NZ) and our 2nd week was at Maroochydore. We stayed in a 2 bed apartment called Key Largo,, i really can't say enough about the place.It was on the main road looking right onto the beach,very very roomy,clean and the staff ever so helpfull. There is buses every 20 mins or so in either direction.
Cheers Dawn
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

SBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really nice

Alex Beach Resort is a resort I have a maintenance contract on... Peter is the manager and it has very nice units and a great lagoon pool area and as mentioned it has loads of places to eat on or near the resort site..

Seaforth is another I have next door nearly ..Scott is the boss there and this place is bigger than Alex Beach and also has a big lagoon and gym.

Down Mooloolaba way try getting into the Mantra or The Scirroco both very nice and central.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

That info is super, yes looked at the sirocco but was double alexandra beach has great offer at the moment ! I was worried that the hotel alexandra becah was miles away from any life ! Obviously I was incorrect and glad to hear that there are places to eat/drink and shop and others beaches are close by. Really appreciate your time
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

That info is super, yes looked at the sirocco but was double alexandra beach has great offer at the moment ! I was worried that the hotel alexandra becah was miles away from any life ! Obviously I was incorrect and glad to hear that there are places to eat/drink and shop and others beaches are close by. Really appreciate your time
Of course you could always try Caloundra? ...I live 2 kms from Mooloolaba and it does get pretty busy - personally I like Kings Beach & Dicky Beach at Caloundra!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

stayed at novatel twin waters resort in march. Very nice but away from everything if walking! Was 10 Min drive at least to maroocyhdore or coolumn. But taxis were cheaper than in Cheshire!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:26 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I live near Mooloolaba and have a 3, 2, and 1 year old. Would go for Mooloolaba for sure. You can buy food and bbq on the beach right next to a really nice kids park. Beach is patrolled and perfect for a 3 year old.

Alex is on a hill, more walking, less attractions.

Maroochydore is nothing special I dont think for a holiday. Yes there are shops there so if you want to go shopping take a taxi and shop - its really close.

At Mooloolaba you can just kick back and spend whatever budget you have. Enjoy!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, thinking about it some more, they all sort of run into one another - well Maroochydore and Alex deffo, Mooloolaba is a 3 minute drive......before I went I thought there was more space between them.

My Dad had stayed with a friend in Maroochydore but called it Mooloolaba which then meant we went to the wrong surf club that he recommended - he'd meant Maroochydore. Kind of shows how close they are!

Itigo