British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Playing UK DVDS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/playing-uk-dvds-544563/)

sub Jun 22nd 2008 8:17 pm

Playing UK DVDS

If I take all my dvds from the uk can I play them in Oz? Will be buying an oz DVD player when I get there?
Or do I need to take my english dvd player to play them on?
Its all the kids DVDS I was thinking of!!

quoll Jun 22nd 2008 8:38 pm

Re: Playing UK DVDS

You may be able to input a code to make your new Aussie dvd player region free which is what I do to watch region 2 dvds. Alternatively, you could bring your UK dvd player and check whether there is a code which de-regionalizes that one so you can play Aus dvds in it. I dont have the link at the moment but someone will surely have a link to the site which lists the dvd codes.

SimonG Jun 22nd 2008 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 6492832)
You may be able to input a code to make your new Aussie dvd player region free which is what I do to watch region 2 dvds. Alternatively, you could bring your UK dvd player and check whether there is a code which de-regionalizes that one so you can play Aus dvds in it. I dont have the link at the moment but someone will surely have a link to the site which lists the dvd codes.

http://www.dvdcodes.net/

CDM Jun 22nd 2008 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by sub (Post 6492784)
If I take all my dvds from the uk can I play them in Oz? Will be buying an oz DVD player when I get there?
Or do I need to take my english dvd player to play them on?
Its all the kids DVDS I was thinking of!!

No and, probably, yes. Commercial DVDs are typcally region encoded. A region encoded DVD will only play on a DVD player that's configured to play DVDs from that region. Since the UK (region 2) is a different region to Oz (region 3), you should expect that your UK DVDs will NOT play on Oz DVDs by default.

However, most DVD players can, with a hack that you can usually locate somewhere on the web, be re-configured to play discs from another region or, more typically, for ALL regions - so called region-free.

I used to live in th States and came back to the UK with a large DVD collection - all of which are encoded with region 1 (USA). I've been able to successfully re-configure every DVD player I've ever had such that they play discs from ALL regions.

The region encoding is something that the DVD manufactures came up with to try to control the global market of DVD sales.

To save money, a DVD manufacture will produce the exact same piece of hardware for sale in different regions around the world but will ship them out of the factory with the region encoding specific to the player's intended destination (DVDs for the States go out with region 1 configured, the UK region 2, Oz region 3, etc.).

For most DVD players, you can change the region encoding by a simple procedure. Usually, this procedure involves switching on the player, opening the disc tray, hitting a specific combination of keys on the remote, closing the tray again and hitting the power reset. For some players, such as Panasonic players, you need to buy a remote control device to send a specific set of codes to the player. These can be had for around £20 via various online sources.

If you do a google search, you can find sites that will tell you how to unlock your specific DVD player model. There are lots of sites that will try to 'sell' you a list of codes. I've never found this necessary and have always been able to find a code for the modes I've owned free of charge.

Good luck :)

- CDM

asher Jun 22nd 2008 9:02 pm

the easiest option is to ensure the dvd player you buy is region free these are becoming easier to get :thumbsup:

sub Jun 22nd 2008 9:21 pm

Wonderful!
Thankyou very much for your replies:thumbsup:

quoll Jun 22nd 2008 10:53 pm

Just to add, Aus is region 4 and UK is region 2 and there does seem to be some 2/4 compatability but not always. I am not certain but in Aus they arent allowed to advertise that dvd players are region free - they certainly didnt used to be and when I have enquired I usually get a blank look (but that may just be the salesmen!!!)

GinaUK Jun 23rd 2008 12:31 am

[QUOTE=quoll;6493115 in Aus they arent allowed to advertise that dvd players are region free - they certainly didnt used to be and when I have enquired I usually get a blank look (but that may just be the salesmen!!!)[/QUOTE]
We bought a DVD player/recorder here in Perth about three months ago, and it was most certainly advertised as "all regions". We have no problems playing UK DVDs in it :).

Gina

scrubbedexpat020 Jun 23rd 2008 1:17 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_reg...s#cite_note-11

see "Standalone DVD Players"

In Aus the dvd player must be unlocked or easily unlocked using a code.

If it isn't tell the shop to do it or you will complain to the ACCC.

Or, be nice and ask them where to find the unlock code.

Ian

paddyo Jun 23rd 2008 2:10 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 6493115)
Just to add, Aus is region 4 and UK is region 2 and there does seem to be some 2/4 compatability but not always. I am not certain but in Aus they arent allowed to advertise that dvd players are region free - they certainly didnt used to be and when I have enquired I usually get a blank look (but that may just be the salesmen!!!)

WE moved here with our UK DVD and also bought a cheap Oz DVD as well, UK one in the boys room and Oz one in the Living room. They both play UK and OZ DVDs with few exceptions, I would say to 90% of success.

Stormz Jun 23rd 2008 2:15 am

You can buy alot of dvd-players in Aus which either already come region-free or are easily made region-free. You can get dvd-players from as little as $50 which are not only region-free, but also play mpeg4 (divx, avi etc) as well. Perfect if you download progs off the net (ie uknova.com if you want your Eastenders fix).

http://www.staticice.com.au/ is a good place to search for the items you want.

here's the divx player for $50....
http://www.dailydeals.com.au/region-...r-p-12710.html

Mikeyc Jun 23rd 2008 2:17 am

You don’t need anything special!

Most of my DVD’s are from UK, Ireland and France, they all play without any problems on my Australian DVD Player.

Edit: ALso my AUs DVD player is nothing special, I bought it for $40 a bing play, and it plays every single DVD I have.

Mikey

Stormz Jun 23rd 2008 2:20 am

I knew an Amiga freak in the UK called MikeyC :)

Mikeyc Jun 23rd 2008 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Stormz (Post 6493469)
I knew an Amiga freak in the UK called MikeyC :)

I had to google “Amiga” to see what you were on about – I’m not that old to remember it. lol:p

Mikey

Stormz Jun 23rd 2008 2:35 am

Cheers. Back to my zimmer frame now......

:)