British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Playing Space !!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/playing-space-311292/)

Chef69 Jun 30th 2005 8:13 am

Playing Space !!!

Hi. I have a little concern and hope someone can help. At the moment where I live in Ireland there is a large green area in front of my house with no through traffic, that make it very safe for the children to play outside (youngest 4) they just take it for granted and come and go as they please. I was wondering if that is achievable in Perth northern suburbs or will I have to drive them to the nearest park to play. I suppose the question is do the children play in the streets over there and can they safely? This may seem like a silly question to some people but to me it is a present way of life and one I value. I like been able to give my children a bit of Independence and at the same time know that their safe.

Mrs Jackaroo Jun 30th 2005 8:27 am

Re: Playing Space !!!

Originally Posted by Chef69
Hi. I have a little concern and hope someone can help. At the moment where I live in Ireland there is a large green area in front of my house with no through traffic, that make it very safe for the children to play outside (youngest 4) they just take it for granted and come and go as they please. I was wondering if that is achievable in Perth northern suburbs or will I have to drive them to the nearest park to play. I suppose the question is do the children play in the streets over there and can they safely? This may seem like a silly question to some people but to me it is a present way of life and one I value. I like been able to give my children a bit of Independence and at the same time know that their safe.

Hi Chef

The idea of leaving children come and go as they please sounds great but its really something that I'm not comfortable with at all anymore - either in the UK or in OZ. I live in a quiet street in South Wales but there is no way that I would let me 5 year old play outside unsupervised. This has nothing to do with whether or not the street is busy - more to do with the fact that we are more aware now of what wierdos there can be lurking and so I feel safer keeping an eye out. Not everyones opinion I know and perhaps I am over protective?!

I'm sure someone will be able to tell you more about Perth!

Cheers!

Soi Oz Jun 30th 2005 8:32 am

There are plenty of parks in Perth, you shouldn't have a problem. Playing outside is a way of life for Aussie kids - always has been, always will be.... Its one of the prime reasons why Aussies love their sport, we grow up winning the Ashes, kicking goals, winning Olympic Gold etc. in the local park :D ...Unless today's parents fall for the media generated paranoia and lock the little urchins inside all day, I can't see that changing.

Chef69 Jun 30th 2005 8:40 am

Just let me clarify, there are 35 houses surrounding this green and all the parents take it in turns to look out for the children. There is not one minute of the day when there is not somebody watching them. Otherwise I would not feel comfortable. I also meant do they play in the street aswell as the parks..

Mrs Jackaroo Jun 30th 2005 9:10 am

Just let me clarify, there are 35 houses surrounding this green and all the parents take it in turns to look out for the children. There is not one minute of the day when there is not somebody watching them. Otherwise I would not feel comfortable. I also meant do they play in the street aswell as the parks..

Sorry - didn't mean to sound as though I was judging you. Sounds like you have a great community there - thats not something we have here unfortunately. We have a lot of police living in the area (sounds great I know) who seem to be happy to 'hint' how many paedos there are living in the area also!! Doesn't tend to build confidence then obviously!

Soi Oz Jun 30th 2005 9:31 am

Depends on the street! Most of the newer suburbs have lots of quiet cul-de-sacs, so street cricket / football / bike riding / skating is not a problem .... and is common. I don't know of any parks where people are always watching over the kids, in most places the kids would be OK on their own - depending on their ages of course.