Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Playing ping-pong

Playing ping-pong

Old Feb 7th 2019, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playing ping-pong

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have never been much of a cheerleader for Perth, but I also have never found it to be particularly isolated. Everything I need is here, including an international airport should I feel the desire to travel overseas.
My thoughts pretty much. I love 'things' about different cities / States but couldn't say I was a cheerleader for anywhere as a whole. I really enjoyed living in Perth for many reasons as I had put up a few posts ago, it had all I needed to keep me happy for years. I asked a genuine question about 'isolated from what' but I still don't really understand from what. As others have pointed out - it's all down to preference. One person's views of isolation is not anothers. It seems some people find it isolated and other's don't - purely depends on that yet to be defined "item of isolation". Genuinely still not aware but it's not keeping me awake at night! :-)

Old Feb 7th 2019, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My age and general level of athleticism prevent me doing a perfectly adequate handstand. Perth? Not so much.

I have never been much of a cheerleader for Perth, but I also have never found it to be particularly isolated. Everything I need is here, including an international airport should I feel the desire to travel overseas.
Well the blood is supposed to recede from the head after completion. One wonders sometimes if this is true when it comes to Perth, metaphysically speaking, naturally. The lightweight in conversing, lack of interest in elsewhere much, (hardly ever discussed) all point towards an isolationist view to life. Not a bother for some on here plainly, but just one pointer to others.
Not about 'things' but way of seeing things.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Canberra is Bogan Bizarroland. OK for a visit though
Bogan Bizarroland LOL, never heard it called that before. Canberrans take great pride in looking down their collective noses at the bogans that populate the rest of the country. Bizarroland certainly, with a Labor/Green governmental alliance there's are all sorts of stupid things happening. Don't blame us for the Pollies, they belong to everyone else - the shiny bums on the other hand, yes, they're ours.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 5:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Bogan Bizarroland LOL, never heard it called that before. Canberrans take great pride in looking down their collective noses at the bogans that populate the rest of the country. Bizarroland certainly, with a Labor/Green governmental alliance there's are all sorts of stupid things happening. Don't blame us for the Pollies, they belong to everyone else - the shiny bums on the other hand, yes, they're ours.
A friend of ours who works for the federal government used to live there. He told me that outside of the immediate city centre, the suburbs are bogan central - so I'm taking his world for it!

I've visited Canberra a few times and overall enjoyed the place - lots to see - it is a bizarre city though - there's nobody on the streets. Place feels deserted
Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of ours who works for the federal government used to live there. He told me that outside of the immediate city centre, the suburbs are bogan central - so I'm taking his world for it!

I've visited Canberra a few times and overall enjoyed the place - lots to see - it is a bizarre city though - there's nobody on the streets. Place feels deserted
Everyone works or walks the mails so not many Street walkers except in a few older suburbs where there are Street shops. There are a few uber Bogan burbs but even those look down their noses at the bogans of Queanbeyan for example. Bizarre I agree with! Anywhere that prizes it's rainbow roundabout is bizarre
Old Feb 9th 2019, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Someone from Perth hills describing elsewhere as Bogan central outside inner city area. I'd like to know what they term Perth suburbs away from western and inner then.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Someone from Perth hills describing elsewhere as Bogan central outside inner city area. I'd like to know what they term Perth suburbs away from western and inner then.
We first lived in "Roleystone", for us at that time we found it a bit like "Deliverance and moved closer to the city of course after time and we use to visit friends there and also in Mundaring, it did not seem so bad Bogan wise, lovely areas, a friend arrived n Perth a few years after us and first settled on the "flats" of Armadale and that was an eye opener for her, they moved further down south. Funny though of all the areas of Perth beaches etc included, I loved the setting of Armadale the prettiest in Perth to my mind, especially driving towards the town from the Kwinana Hwy and also Roleystone especially after the winter when it's lovely and green, even now though I still could. not live in those areas.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brits1
We first lived in "Roleystone", for us at that time we found it a bit like "Deliverance and moved closer to the city of course after time and we use to visit friends there and also in Mundaring, it did not seem so bad Bogan wise, lovely areas, a friend arrived n Perth a few years after us and first settled on the "flats" of Armadale and that was an eye opener for her, they moved further down south. Funny though of all the areas of Perth beaches etc included, I loved the setting of Armadale the prettiest in Perth to my mind, especially driving towards the town from the Kwinana Hwy and also Roleystone especially after the winter when it's lovely and green, even now though I still could. not live in those areas.
Interesting your description of Roleystone. I can sort of imagine. Perth, was at onetime, something not too unlike the Wild West , even the city, with a definite under the surface, but quick to ignite suppression of violence or at least aggravation. A spark could easily set something off.
I agree with your summary of Armadale, although as we know still today deceptive on a ground level. Gosnells much the same.(I used to go there weekly) It could almost be a central European locality in places. The views of the hills, the flower pots, the applauded attempts at creating a natural bush/park land. But so much tension and crime. I wouldn't imagine it safe to wander at nights, but hardly alone in that.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's the strange thing about Armadale - it is definitely an attractive, well kept town but a certain section of the population choose to make it a shithole
Old Feb 11th 2019, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bizarre. Every time I return to Perth, regardless of whether from Europe, South Africa, or Asia my first thoughts about Perth are there's nobody on the streets. Place feels deserted. (outside of cars) As time goes on don't think any differently, just not as conscious constantly of the fact.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 8:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That's the strange thing about Armadale - it is definitely an attractive, well kept town but a certain section of the population choose to make it a shithole
Hance why it's known as Armahole.
My partner had a chance to work at Boddington, and I could transfer to Armadale Hospital. Big nope from me! I may live in Legoland but I don't need a Kevlar vest to go to the shops.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 8:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Armadale for 20 years after my first marriage. There are some locations within the suburb I wouldn't care to live in, but there are pleasant areas as well. In those 20 years I only experienced crime/anti-social behaviour once, when one of my sons left his bike outside our front gate overnight and it was stolen. A few days later I was walking to the local deli when an older teenager leisurely peddled past me - on my son's bike. Had a bit of chat with him, he apologised and handed the bike back.

Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I lived in Armadale for 20 years after my first marriage. There are some locations within the suburb I wouldn't care to live in, but there are pleasant areas as well. In those 20 years I only experienced crime/anti-social behaviour once, when one of my sons left his bike outside our front gate overnight and it was stolen. A few days later I was walking to the local deli when an older teenager leisurely peddled past me - on my son's bike. Had a bit of chat with him, he apologised and handed the bike back.
Scouse...we could if ealked passed each other and never knew lol. We use to venture to the Elizabethan Pub quite often and my favorite "Domes" was in Armadale....the other just outside of Mandurah oh and in leederville, I use to work outside of Armadale heading towards Success and it was a lovely drive to work. Our eldest played for Perth and when we use to verse Armadale football club (soccer to you aussies lol)..they use to make a great indian curry..(made by a Scottish guy).all the Italians use to love eating the curry lol. Good times..but yes I knew friends that also lived in kelmscott/gosnells and they also have had trouble....a shame as I think Armadale it's still one the prettiest settings in Perth
Old Feb 12th 2019, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scouse...we could if ealked passed each other and never knew lol. We use to venture to the Elizabethan Pub quite often and my favorite "Domes" was in Armadale....the other just outside of Mandurah oh and in leederville, I use to work outside of Armadale heading towards Success and it was a lovely drive to work. Our eldest played for Perth and when we use to verse Armadale football club (soccer to you aussies lol)..they use to make a great indian curry..(made by a Scottish guy).all the Italians use to love eating the curry lol. Good times..but yes I knew friends that also lived in kelmscott/gosnells and they also have had trouble....a shame as I think Armadale it's still one the prettiest settings in Perth
Not a Dome fan, by any stretch of the imagination, but Leederville Dome put the shutters up about three odd months back. That's the old PO building. Empty since, reflecting the difficult spending times, that we find ourselves in. It hadn't been doing well for a considerable time. Great building though. A shame the former South African that run a darn decent restaurant there sold out in early 00's.
Gosnells train station for two Tuesdays running heaving with security staff for reasons unknown. Lots of stuff going on in the violence, or threats off / intimidation and theft though many a considerable number of not long here migrants being victims. I guess it applies to most everybody but have most contact with migrants there.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Not a Dome fan, by any stretch of the imagination, but Leederville Dome put the shutters up about three odd months back. That's the old PO building. Empty since, reflecting the difficult spending times, that we find ourselves in. It hadn't been doing well for a considerable time. Great building though. A shame the former South African that run a darn decent restaurant there sold out in early 00's.
Gosnells train station for two Tuesdays running heaving with security staff for reasons unknown. Lots of stuff going on in the violence, or threats off / intimidation and theft though many a considerable number of not long here migrants being victims. I guess it applies to most everybody but have most contact with migrants there.
I think that's what I like about the leederville DOME (I only liked it because of the interiors it felt like I was in an older city than I was in lol) but mainly because of their marmalade...and thick cut whiolemeal toast...it was as close as I could have in WA to proper marmalade lol.
I use to see some sights and happenings in the 6111 and 6112 my dad who loved to visit us very often and on his first visit back in 1998 we took him to The Gosnells Bar and Grill a neighbour recommended it to us...(great conception for a pub)...but that night a large group of clientele were ..well different...
​​​​​​my dad loved it though as he said it was like being in the wild west lol. He use to ask to go back on every visit 😨 and we did though (even though we did not live in the area we had moved after Roleystone)..it did improve at one stage though..but then knifings started to happen outside and nearby so we stopped taking dad when he visited. There are some pretty rough areas I. Perth a bit harder to believe when you first arrive as they don't look like some of the UK's rough areas....but they are the same just look different.
​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.