Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

plastic identity chip card?????????????????????

plastic identity chip card?????????????????????

Old Dec 26th 2005, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Question plastic identity chip card?????????????????????

I know it sounds a bit vague, but an elderly acquaintance of mine has been to a travel agent enquiring about flights to Oz for her first grandchilds birth, and was told she required some sort of plastic identity card with a chip in it? She was a bit puzzled, but bless her, didn't think of asking why or what for! Any ideas folks????
PS have already got my ticket through ebookers as per usual and nothing has been mentioned. Is my friend having a senior moment?
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:13 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: plastic identity chip card?????????????????????

She ought to have a good few months on her passport (6 to be safe) and an Electronic Travel Authorisation visa (10GBP - travel agent normally sorts this) but that is it.

It sounds a bit like they are asking for a passport with bio data on it that the USA is going to start requiring. I seem to remember reading a story a couple of years ago when some old dear bought a ticket to Sydney (I think) but got the wrong Sydney and ended up in the wilds of Canada rather than Australia. It couldn't be the same mistake could it?!?!?
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly they are asking for a credit card? Don't all UK ones have chips in them now? (unlike here!)
Old Dec 26th 2005, 12:25 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Possibly they are asking for a credit card? Don't all UK ones have chips in them now? (unlike here!)
That sounds plausible (but mine is more exciting )
Old Dec 26th 2005, 1:22 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
That sounds plausible (but mine is more exciting )
Certainly does! My excuse is I have to be sober and proper with the MIL in residence
Old Dec 27th 2005, 2:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly does! My excuse is I have to be sober and proper with the MIL in residence
Hell, she must know what you're like by now, surely
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:25 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hell, she must know what you're like by now, surely
You'd think so, but I got one heck of a dirty look when I opened a bottle of sparkling wine this afternoon! My Bro in law gave me a bar set - corkscrew etc - for Xmas & she gave that a funny look too!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 12:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think so, but I got one heck of a dirty look when I opened a bottle of sparkling wine this afternoon! My Bro in law gave me a bar set - corkscrew etc - for Xmas & she gave that a funny look too!
She's probably just jealous because she can only handle an egg nog
Old Dec 27th 2005, 1:51 pm
Home and Happy

The Bloke left half a glass of whisky and coke on the bench this morning - she drank it, thinking it was the drink she asked him to make her She had to lie down from shock when she realised it was whisky and she had downed it in one!!!
Old Dec 27th 2005, 7:32 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
I know it sounds a bit vague, but an elderly acquaintance of mine has been to a travel agent enquiring about flights to Oz for her first grandchilds birth, and was told she required some sort of plastic identity card with a chip in it? She was a bit puzzled, but bless her, didn't think of asking why or what for! Any ideas folks????
PS have already got my ticket through ebookers as per usual and nothing has been mentioned. Is my friend having a senior moment?
Permanent residents in Canada get a plastic card with a chip in it (you use it instead of a passport, for getting into the country). Maybe the TA thought she was a resident of Oz? Does Australia give similar things to PRs?
Old Dec 27th 2005, 10:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mctree
Permanent residents in Canada get a plastic card with a chip in it (you use it instead of a passport, for getting into the country). Maybe the TA thought she was a resident of Oz? Does Australia give similar things to PRs?
Canadian PRs must still use a valid passport plus PR Card to return to Canada, unless falling within a few exceptions.

There is no equivalent in Australia.

It also appears there's confusion here - to visit Australia you need a passport valid for the duration of the trip (preferably at least 6 months to avoid hassles en-route) plus a tourist visa or ETA.

Jeremy
Old Dec 27th 2005, 11:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Sounds like Worzel may have been right

Sydney is Nova Scotia’s third largest city and acts as a major industrial hub for the rest of Atlantic Canada.
http://www.sydneynovascotia.worldweb.com/index.html

Old Dec 28th 2005, 2:33 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Canadian PRs must still use a valid passport plus PR Card to return to Canada, unless falling within a few exceptions.

There is no equivalent in Australia.

It also appears there's confusion here - to visit Australia you need a passport valid for the duration of the trip (preferably at least 6 months to avoid hassles en-route) plus a tourist visa or ETA.

Jeremy
Nah you don't. Upon entering Canada you present your PR card, nothing else, they don't want to see your Passport.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Nah you don't. Upon entering Canada you present your PR card, nothing else, they don't want to see your Passport.

I'm not sure if an airline will let you board a flight to Canada on the strength of a PR Card. Maybe I'm incorrect but I'm not sure if I'd risk it. Anyway, usually the other country you are travelling to requires a valid passport.

Jeremy
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:17 pm
Livin it large

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'm not sure if an airline will let you board a flight to Canada on the strength of a PR Card. Maybe I'm incorrect but I'm not sure if I'd risk it. Anyway, usually the other country you are travelling to requires a valid passport.

Jeremy
Yep, you're right. But actually going through immigration inside Canada requires the PR card, not the passport. I'm told (never tried it) that if you don't have the PR card, they don't let you in.

So, how is the PR status handled in Oz? Is the Visa printed in your passport, electronic, or a separate piece of paper?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.