Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

plastering in oz?

plastering in oz?

Old Dec 28th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

the derbys will become famous soon enoughthe derbys will become famous soon enough
Default plastering in oz?

Can anyone tel me what the wages are like in other parts of oz, we are thinking of going to Perth but would like an idea of what the wages are in other places
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:34 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: plastering in oz?

Originally Posted by the derbys View Post
Can anyone tel me what the wages are like in other parts of oz, we are thinking of going to Perth but would like an idea of what the wages are in other places
Hi mate.
I've went to Perth for a while but also travelled around virtually everywhere else in Oz checking things out. I'm not a plasterer but I can tell you that you can earn lots more in Oz than UK, especially Perth. I met loads of lads in the building game and they were creaming it. Even the illegal lads were making top money, cash in hand, despite being illegal and having a more diminished market to go at. Many Ozzies don't like to employ illegals because of the harsh penalties if they are caught.
Your skills are gold dust in Perth. If you can tile as well then you are laughing even louder. I would suggest doing a tiling course, or brushing up your existing tiling skills, as another string to your bow. I'd say that you can earn between 30 and 60 bucks an hour depending on the guy your negotiating with and how much he needs you. But if you put an ad in the paper you will be inundated and can probably work for yourself anyway.
Melbourne is another place where you will do well. That city is getting bigger and they reckon it is the next boom place after Perth.
But my advice, speaking from experience, is to go to Perth first. You will be virually gaurenteed to make good money and you can always move on at some point in the future.
Good luck.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

thebaggos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: plastering in oz?

Originally Posted by the derbys View Post
We are on GC and OH found work straight away. They don't do solid plastering as UK does mainly dry lining, outside rendering. OH is Fibrous plasterer and has found work ok. Pm me if you have any other questions.