Plasterers ICA award & Perth early Jan

Plasterers ICA award & Perth early Jan

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

diggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plasterers ICA award & Perth early Jan

Hi

1st time on here,
Have been reading and getting tips off these pages for a while but need some advice from anyone in the construction trade.

I am currently doing a 2 year Solid Plastering course which gains me an ICA certificate (INTERMEDIATE CONSTRUCTION AWARD) & an NVQ Level 2 certificate. I have been told that the ICA award has replaced the old City & Guilds.

Would the above certificates grant me the 60 points for Solid Plastering?
I dont know how well recognised ICA/NVQ are in Australia.

I also hope to go part time in september next year and start a 1 year course in Wall & Floor Tiling (NVQ)

I am visiting Perth for the 1st time in January for 3 weeks and hope to get a good travel around.

Any advice in the plastering trade would be appreciated.

Is there a big call for plasterers in WA ?

Cheers for any help/info
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

ZimBabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plasterers ICA award & Perth early Jan

Hi,

I dont mean to put a dampner on things, but from what I have gathered over the last 4 weeks of reading this site is:

1) TRA is the only assessing body DIMIA will allow to carry out pre-migration assessments, which means:-
2) TRA require at least 5-6 years of experience, they do not assess you on just qualifications alone (You dont even need qualifications! 8-9 years of experience is enough).

I believe the NVQ is similiar to the Australian ACQ certificates, but they do not recognise our qualifications over there. (I have an NVQ Level III in Business Administration).

I personally think it sucks!!!! I and many other people would happily train to become a Plasterer / Bricklayer / Wall and floor Tiler etc etc, but in the end you need to have the years and years of experience to be able to claim the 60 points!!!! You would think that if they are so desperate for these trades, they would relax the rules a bit. But no.

P.S. I am not in the construction or plastering trade, but no-one else replied, so I am just trying to help bump you back up to the top. Maybe someone will prove me wrong????
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ZimBabe
Hi,

I dont mean to put a dampner on things, but from what I have gathered over the last 4 weeks of reading this site is:

1) TRA is the only assessing body DIMIA will allow to carry out pre-migration assessments, which means:-
2) TRA require at least 5-6 years of experience, they do not assess you on just qualifications alone (You dont even need qualifications! 8-9 years of experience is enough).

I believe the NVQ is similiar to the Australian ACQ certificates, but they do not recognise our qualifications over there. (I have an NVQ Level III in Business Administration).

I personally think it sucks!!!! I and many other people would happily train to become a Plasterer / Bricklayer / Wall and floor Tiler etc etc, but in the end you need to have the years and years of experience to be able to claim the 60 points!!!! You would think that if they are so desperate for these trades, they would relax the rules a bit. But no.

P.S. I am not in the construction or plastering trade, but no-one else replied, so I am just trying to help bump you back up to the top. Maybe someone will prove me wrong????
zimbabe is quite right you need that experience.

good luck dave
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

One other thing mate it may be worth checking with an agent, as if your young enough you may not need as many years behind you as you will get more points for your age.Our agent Visa-go would probebly do it for free over the phone.just a thought.

dave
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

diggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice,

I will keep up the plastering at college but looks like i will have to maybe start looking down other paths as to actually getting out there, My partner has a Degree in Textiles, Has had it around 8 yrs, I will also have to look into a Basic Seamanship Class3 course which i got Nvqs in while i was in the army,

Its very early days at the mo, And i aim to really do a lot of homework when im there for the 3 weeks in january.

Thanks for the honesty and quick replies,