plasma tv's

Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

tony33 will become famous soon enoughtony33 will become famous soon enough
Default plasma tv's

G'day people.
were moving out to the gold coast early 2007.
just found this site looks like all the info we need is on here.
can any one recommend any pet movers/furniture movers/how much do they charge..
also has any one taken a uk plasma TV if so did it work ok in oz.

many thanks tony
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:05 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: plasma tv's

Originally Posted by tony33
G'day people.

many thanks tony
It wont work here unless it is just a monitor as some plasmas are. Better idea stick it on Ebay and buy a new one here, they are very cheap now, you will pick up a good one for around 7 or 8 hundred quid.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

sion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud of

G'day people.

many thanks tony

Try Golden Arrow: 01588 680240 for pet shipping they have had a lot of good reports on this forum they have not got a web site but if you give them a ring they will send you all the info I was quoted around £2500 for my dog

as for furniture movers there are a few average cost for a 40ft container I think is about £4000- £5000but you can share containers which does knock down the price but you might have to wait a bit longer to get you stuff.

Hope this helps a bit

Sion
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:40 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sion
Try Golden Arrow: 01588 680240 for pet shipping they have had a lot of good reports on this forum they have not got a web site but if you give them a ring they will send you all the info I was quoted around £2500 for my dog

as for furniture movers there are a few average cost for a 40ft container I think is about £4000- £5000but you can share containers which does knock down the price but you might have to wait a bit longer to get you stuff.

Hope this helps a bit

Sion
yes the plasma will work in Aus. Aus has same TV signalds. just some TV's the sound doesnt work - to fix that you buy a VCR or a digi-box ( 90AU$) or get foxtel. Learn to use the search button on this forum - this comes up about 2 times a week
Old Sep 5th 2006, 4:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: plasma tv's

G'day people.

many thanks tony
"TVs" is a plural. It does not require an apostrophe.

Apostrophes are only used to denote abbreviation or ownership.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

tony33 will become famous soon enoughtony33 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

you must have to much time on you hand's
Old Sep 5th 2006, 10:03 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

TV's is an abbreviation.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 2:49 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

G'day people.

many thanks tony
I have heard of movers building a special crate for plasmas to protect them. May be worth checking that out.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 4:48 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
TV's is an abbreviation.
Technically, yes - but not in the conventional sense. It is an acronym, which is why it does not require an apostrophe.

If you were using an apostrophe to denote the missing letters in TV, you would also have to place one between the T and the V. But no-one does. They simply chuck one on the end, in the mistaken belief that this is grammatically correct.

It is not.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 4:51 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Technically, yes - but not in the conventional sense. It is an acronym, which is why it does not require an apostrophe.

If you were using an apostrophe to denote the missing letters in TV, you would also have to place one between the T and the V. But no-one does. They simply chuck one on the end, in the mistaken belief that this is grammatically correct.

It is not.
did one have a dictionary for ones lunch?
Old Sep 6th 2006, 5:45 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

It is not.
Nah, you are incorrect me old chum.

An acronym is a word typically made up of the first letters of two or more words, for example, RADAR - RAdio Detection And Ranging.

TV is not a word, so TV's is an abbreviation.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:45 am
Fighting my corner

The bottom line is that you don't use an apostrophe to denote a plural.

Thus:
  • My TV (singular)

• My TVs (plural, as in the case of someone with more than one TV)

• My TV's aerial (singular possessive, in a reference to the aerial of the TV)

The OP contained a plural, and should therefore say "tvs" (or, more correctly, "TVs").

Apostrophes are only used (a) to denote possession, or (b) to denote abbreviation in the case of a word from which certain letters have been missed (ie. "don't", the abbreviation of "do not").

Acronyms exist as an exception to the latter rule, since they are not conventional abbreviations but are treated as legitimate nouns.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:51 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom line is that you don't use an apostrophe to denote a plural.

Thus:
  • My TV (singular)

• My TVs (plural, as in the case of someone with more than one TV)

• My TV's aerial (singular possessive, in a reference to the aerial of the TV)

The OP contained a plural, and should therefore say "tvs" (or, more correctly, "TVs").

Apostrophes are only used (a) to denote possession, or (b) to denote abbreviation in the case of a word from which certain letters have been missed (ie. "don't", the abbreviation of "do not").

Acronyms exist as an exception to the latter rule, since they are not conventional abbreviations but are treated as legitimate nouns.
i am bloody glad, i ave' floorless good spelling and; use of appostrofies when I- write stuff down's.

Last edited by stevemich; Sep 6th 2006 at 6:52 am. Reason: spelling :)
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Nah, you are incorrect me old chum.

An acronym is a word typically made up of the first letters of two or more words, for example, RADAR - RAdio Detection And Ranging.

TV is not a word, so TV's is an abbreviation.
  • Acronyms occasionally use more than one letter from the same word. "TV" is a case in point, as is your own example of "RADAR." Notice also that "RADAR" contains no apostrophes, which proves what I've been saying all along. Thankyou for that.

• There is no grammatical basis for writing "TV's" where the intention is to denote a plural

• See my post above.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Sep 6th 2006 at 6:53 am.
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: plasma tv's

Originally Posted by stevemich
i am bloody glad, i ave' good spelling and; use of appostrofies when I- write stuff down's.
Don't get me started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.