Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plantation homes

Plantation homes

Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:03 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light
Default Plantation homes

Hi we have been looking around at 2 storey display homes and have seen a Plantation home (Castella Design) that would fit our block really well and seems good value for the size compared to some of the other builders.

Has anybody got a recent experience building with them and have you found them any good and what is the after sales service like ?.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plantation homes

plantation can take up to 16 months to build a house 12 months is about the average have looked at some of the smaller builders they are more flexy and a good bit quicker
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:39 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Plantation were/are Henley Homes.... Henly had a bad reputation in NSW back in the early 2000s. I believe they may have been banned in NSW due to shonky building work. They may no longer build in NSW.

They have probably changed management and maybe better now so talk to a lot of people who have recently built with them.

Rumor has it that they don't pay the tradies top dollar so consequently get the poor quality workmanship....even tho the show homes look pretty good!

Whichever builder you decide on, make sure you hire an independent building inspector at each stage of building to check the building work. Its worth the money.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:24 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

We did a search on here and the comments people had made in the past about them were not great but we though we would ask the question again.

Now we know why they seem cheaper than some of the other builders.

We are also looking a Coral homes and Metro Homes anybody any comments on these two.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Friends are having a Plantation house built. Signed the papers last November. Diggers finally moved in on site a fortnight ago to stop three hours later saying there were too many roots and it would cost another $14,000 Being as the land was surveyed when it was still covered in trees someone cocked up. Got sorted but a year with sod all being done is very very stressful. No idea about the build quality - obviously.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Friends are having a Plantation house built. Signed the papers last November. Diggers finally moved in on site a fortnight ago to stop three hours later saying there were too many roots and it would cost another $14,000 Being as the land was surveyed when it was still covered in trees someone cocked up. Got sorted but a year with sod all being done is very very stressful. No idea about the build quality - obviously.
I worked for a company who carried out Plumbing on Plantation Homes and yes for a qualified Plumber with two days work expected in 1 day, compromising quality for quantity got me down and the pay was rubbish on the books.

But building with any project builder is hit and miss as all are on a tight budget and no tine put into coustomer care. The coustomer is not always right in Queensland that is for sure.

One peice of advice aviod Cavalier Homes, and try and find an independant builder who cares as much as you do about your dream home.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:53 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

we built with these people a while back and have to say i thought they were ok and good value for money. when the house was built they used steel across the ground level to add strength which apart from the completely steel frames you rarely see. it made the 2 story more solid imho.

we employed the crustiest seen it all ozzie as a building inspector to oversee them and get up their noses and i think that was money well spent. at the end before handover he told me he was actually impressed by what they had done and the quality of the decoration was really good. i met the painter at handover as well and he seemed genuinely proud of his work.

this is no frills building though and although you can spec up the homes they are still basic wood and brick veneer construction underneath and costs cut to the bone. i think though unless you pay the money, use architects, get a suspended concrete slab 2 story then nearly all the new houses are the same methods.

our build was a one off and not on one of their land estates and i think that helped as well. we were right by the bay near the water so the trades probably liked coming out there. i would strongly recommend you find a good inspector who is local takes no shit old and wrinkly to fight your corner and keep a watchful eye on them.

one more thing, watch them like hawks on the money side as they make little mistakes in the contract like using the council fee for pine rivers instead of redland bay thus increasing cost by 500. i.e. go through the contract line by line and verify the external costs.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

theshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant future

Anyone heard much on Simonds homes? I have looked at plantation but the designs are modern enough for me, simonds look pretty nice, also considering Metricon but have heard a few bad things on the net about them too, although they look fantastic!! Still might go with metricon and watch them like a hawk, as I'm a sparky they said I can wire it myself.

Originally Posted by dugongs
we built with these people a while back and have to say i thought they were ok and good value for money. when the house was built they used steel across the ground level to add strength which apart from the completely steel frames you rarely see. it made the 2 story more solid imho.

we employed the crustiest seen it all ozzie as a building inspector to oversee them and get up their noses and i think that was money well spent. at the end before handover he told me he was actually impressed by what they had done and the quality of the decoration was really good. i met the painter at handover as well and he seemed genuinely proud of his work.

this is no frills building though and although you can spec up the homes they are still basic wood and brick veneer construction underneath and costs cut to the bone. i think though unless you pay the money, use architects, get a suspended concrete slab 2 story then nearly all the new houses are the same methods.

our build was a one off and not on one of their land estates and i think that helped as well. we were right by the bay near the water so the trades probably liked coming out there. i would strongly recommend you find a good inspector who is local takes no shit old and wrinkly to fight your corner and keep a watchful eye on them.

one more thing, watch them like hawks on the money side as they make little mistakes in the contract like using the council fee for pine rivers instead of redland bay thus increasing cost by 500. i.e. go through the contract line by line and verify the external costs.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Neil & Shell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Simba
Hi we have been looking around at 2 storey display homes and have seen a Plantation home (Castella Design) that would fit our block really well and seems good value for the size compared to some of the other builders.

Has anybody got a recent experience building with them and have you found them any good and what is the after sales service like ?.
We built our house with Plantation Homes in North Lakes. We had heard horror stories about them from years ago but still chose to go ahead as we always received great customer service. Plus we loved the display homes.

Plantation started building our 2 storey promenade mid Sept 06. Our house was finished on schedule by early Feb 07 when we moved in. It would have been finished earlier but we had the christmas hols where tradies did not work for about 4 weeks around Dec/Jan. We had no major dramas with them. The house is in excellent condition. We have just passed our 6 months "fix up" inspection but we had nothing to repair! It is an awesome house - in my opinion!!

If you need any further info let me know

Thanks
Shell
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:20 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simba

Im ya MAN !!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:23 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dugongs

Nowadays, Plantation employ or sub-ploy their own building inspectors, and you cannot have another inspector on the same contract as another. In fact far as I am aware, unless you are spec building , you cannot employ your own inspector. As most construction companies, have that side in hand ( or pocket )
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sounds weird also, cos when you sign contract with Plantation, there is sub-ground contract contingency you must sign for, and this is contracted into final build costs, and guaranteed 16 week completion times.

Are you sure there werent covenants on the trees, as in protected, and became a council issue?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Neil & Shell
We built our house with Plantation Homes in North Lakes. We had heard horror stories about them from years ago but still chose to go ahead as we always received great customer service. Plus we loved the display homes.

Plantation started building our 2 storey promenade mid Sept 06. Our house was finished on schedule by early Feb 07 when we moved in. It would have been finished earlier but we had the christmas hols where tradies did not work for about 4 weeks around Dec/Jan. We had no major dramas with them. The house is in excellent condition. We have just passed our 6 months "fix up" inspection but we had nothing to repair! It is an awesome house - in my opinion!!

If you need any further info let me know

Thanks
Shell
Totally agree with you.

However if you wanna see the mother of all snag lists, we gave to Platation ( yes the RED DOTS )

PM me and I will give you the website link ( for Simba that is, or anyone else interested in building with Plantation )

And I can tell you.. I WAS THE NIGHTMARE WHINGIN POMMY TWOT CUSTOMER FROM HELL !!! and they did everything to an acceptable standard for me...were totally professional, and an awesome company to deal with from start to finish.

So much so, just gonna get em to do another one for me , if I can find the right bloody block of land
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:06 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret

One peice of advice aviod Cavalier Homes, and try and find an independant builder who cares as much as you do about your dream home.
What is wrong with Cavalier homes?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by temptininnit
What is wrong with Cavalier homes?
The main issue for us with Cavalier homes was the supervisor, very unprofessional, he took weeks to chase things up and that would be after trying to call the guy for 2 weeks and promising to return calls, after putting up with poor coustomer care from him we took matters higher, only to find that the arrogance at the top of the ladder was worse.

For instance we ordered handles for vanity units, the wrong ones were installed, so we mentioned it to our supervisor DD. His response being whats wrong with them. They are the wrong ones we said . Again he said whats wrong with them. I think he was happy for us to pay for his tastes.

On the walk round and handover no signs of a note pad to jot down unfinished items to be rectified, so weeks later he had no recollection of faults.

Like i say he made the whole building exp stressful, i was meeting trades on site to chat before they started to make sure things were done right. As i'm a plumber myself i hate doing things twice after some muppet had given wrong info.

We were made to feel like winging poms when we only wanted what was in the contract and paid for, i'm sure if we had a diffrent supervisor things may have been diffrent . But to deal with a man who takes 2 weeks to get in touch with for 8 months it slightly winds you up.

Hope this puts you off as they dont deserve honest peoples money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.