Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Planning our Reccie - any tips?

Planning our Reccie - any tips?

Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Smile Planning our Reccie - any tips?

Hi

We have friends in Perth and family in Brisbane and we are coming over in March/April for a reccie. We are trying to decide how long to spend in each place. We plan to spend between 10-14 days in Perth, between 3 and 5 days in Sydney and between 10-14 days in Brisbane. We will have around 30 days in total including travel. Is there more to do in Perth or Brisbane? Which one should we plan to spend longer in? How long does it take to do the touristy bit in Sydney? We're not too sure how to plan the trip timewise so would appreciate your views if you have been to these places?

Many thanks
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:21 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning our Reccie - any tips?

All I'd say is don't expect to find your perfect place on your trip ....sorry If anything we came back more confused after our reccie in 2003 lol! The suburbs alone in each City are VAST!, let alone the Country itself. Make your eventual decision on job availability more than anything, then fit the other requirements around after.

Have fun!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Most of all, whatever you decide is make sure you enjoy it and don't get too hungup on finding this, that and the other. Take time away from jobs, houses, areas and schools etc.

We did Sydney in about 4-5 days and were happy with what we saw.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:57 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

From a tourist point of view there is more to do in Sydney, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. Thats not to say there arn't things to do in Perth, quite the opposite, but the East Coast is generally a more touristy destination for quite good reason.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
From a tourist point of view there is more to do in Sydney, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. Thats not to say there arn't things to do in Perth, quite the opposite, but the East Coast is generally a more touristy destination for quite good reason.
Thank you everyone
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget to take even a day trip down to see the National Capital (although a few days is better!) - you can get coach tours which do the Capital in a day. I'd be spending longer in Sydney - far more to do.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

When in Brisbane, make sure you visit the Gold Coast (where we live). We are very happy here and its close to the city, countryside, tourist stuff, quiet stuff. What ever you want really.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RenShen
When in Brisbane, make sure you visit the Gold Coast (where we live). We are very happy here and its close to the city, countryside, tourist stuff, quiet stuff. What ever you want really.
Hi RenSHen

We are actually staying in the Gold Coast as that's where my hubby's Uncle and Auntie live! How long have you been out there? Glad to hear you like it out there!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:23 am
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road

A month my sound like a long time but when you are trying to take in the whole country it will become a bit of a blur. So to get the most from your trip you need to plan well in advance. The fact that you have even asked this question on this forum shows that you are an organised person and so this will probably be second nature to you but here's my advice.

If i was doing a reccie i would start by writing down specifically what it was that i wanted to achieve from the trip e.g. by the end of the trip i want to have:

A) identifed which city to live in and a few potential suburbs
B) spoken to some recruitment agents to get a feel for the job market and salaries available
c) looked at houses for rent/sale in the city that i have identified as potential for living to see what i can get for my money
d) visited schools and spoken to some teachers
e) etc

I know it sounds a bit anal but by having a structured approach you will not only get the most benefit from your reccie but you will also have time to enjoy the country when you are here.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FHI
A month my sound like a long time but when you are trying to take in the whole country it will become a bit of a blur. So to get the most from your trip you need to plan well in advance. The fact that you have even asked this question on this forum shows that you are an organised person and so this will probably be second nature to you but here's my advice.

If i was doing a reccie i would start by writing down specifically what it was that i wanted to achieve from the trip e.g. by the end of the trip i want to have:

A) identifed which city to live in and a few potential suburbs
B) spoken to some recruitment agents to get a feel for the job market and salaries available
c) looked at houses for rent/sale in the city that i have identified as potential for living to see what i can get for my money
d) visited schools and spoken to some teachers
e) etc

I know it sounds a bit anal but by having a structured approach you will not only get the most benefit from your reccie but you will also have time to enjoy the country when you are here.
Hi and thanks for the advice. We plan to have a good look around when we get out there - I didn't even think about looking at schools and speaking to teachers - might be a good idea - thanks. Hubby has been contacting recruitment agencies to see what is available in Perth and Brisbane - I guess it would be worth him going in to see them for a chat too. I am hoping our friends in Perth and Gold Coast can tell us which suburbs are good and which ones are to be avoided when we go out there. We have had a look on some of the websites at the houses too.

Thanks again
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Biggest tip i would give is ENJOY IT!!!