Reload this Page >

Planning To Move - PhD/Scientist

Planning To Move - PhD/Scientist

Old Jul 15th 2014, 10:57 am
Just Joined

SecretMachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning To Move - PhD/Scientist

Hello there,

I'm planning on visiting Australia for a month in November/December 2015, by then I will have completed my PhD and will be looking for work as a post-doctorate student. I was wondering, what VISA options do I have and what bracket might I come under? I'm based primarily in the chemistry/biology field and plan on hopefully working for a university in Australia. I'll be 24 by the time I plan to move wherever that factors into my application?

I'm currently living in Bristol, UK. City wise I'm looking for somewhere with a good nightlife, mainly geared towards live music.

However, I may look for a more regular job in the mean time to get to know the cities better. I'm planning on visiting Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. Sounds abit crazy, but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by SecretMachine; Jul 15th 2014 at 11:01 am.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning To Move - PhD/Scientist

Originally Posted by SecretMachine
Hello there,

I'm planning on visiting Australia for a month in November/December 2015, by then I will have completed my PhD and will be looking for work as a post-doctorate student. I was wondering, what VISA options do I have and what bracket might I come under? I'm based primarily in the chemistry/biology field and plan on hopefully working for a university in Australia. I'll be 24 by the time I plan to move wherever that factors into my application?

I'm currently living in Bristol, UK. City wise I'm looking for somewhere with a good nightlife, mainly geared towards live music.

However, I may look for a more regular job in the mean time to get to know the cities better. I'm planning on visiting Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. Sounds abit crazy, but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it!
Hi SM,

unfortunately I can't help you with visa options but I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon.

I just wanted to say it doesn't sound crazy. It sounds like a plan and I think Australia is a great country to be in if you're going down the science route.

The best of luck with it all.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Planning To Move - PhD/Scientist

Melbourne or Sydney would be the pick, I have heard that for live music Melbourne is better than Sydney but I have no personal experience to back that up.

I have been though to many more gigs here in Melbourne than I ever did in London, from Iron Maiden at 15,000 attendance to Glenn Hughes at 300 attendance (I preferred Glenn!)

The first big concert I ever went to in my life was in your home town of Bristol - I think the venue was called the Colston Hall and the act was Ian Gillan supported by Spyder!

BB
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

Have you searched for visa options on the DIBP site at all? - Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Without experience you would struggle with most skilled visa categories. There's the option of a Working Holiday Visa given your age, but this is a 1 year visa (although if certain criteria are met you can apply for a second year) designed to allow you to work whilst travelling around Australia on an extended holiday and there is a restriction on how long you can work for a single employer.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:09 am
Just Joined

SecretMachine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tip Buzzy Bee! I read something similar but I'm glad you can back it up, I'm hoping to be able to get involved in the scene as a musician.
Oh awesome, Colston Hall is a pretty great venue, so many great bands play there!

Old.sparkles, the website is currently down from me but from what I recall I looked at VISA's 402 and 427 and another VISA for post-doctorate study. It's quite early stages at the moment and I haven't yet actually applied for any post-doc posts as of yet.

I'm dissapointed that I won't be classed as a skilled worker, given the way the scientific field is at the moment, getting experience is seemingly impossible as everywhere expects it already!
Old Jul 16th 2014, 10:25 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Planning To Move - PhD/Scientist

Thanks for the tip Buzzy Bee! I read something similar but I'm glad you can back it up, I'm hoping to be able to get involved in the scene as a musician.
This is my favourite small live music venue in Melbourne - Corner Hotel — Live music venue in Melbourne

BB
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh awesome, Colston Hall is a pretty great venue, so many great bands play there!

Old.sparkles, the website is currently down from me but from what I recall I looked at VISA's 402 and 427 and another VISA for post-doctorate study. It's quite early stages at the moment and I haven't yet actually applied for any post-doc posts as of yet.

I'm dissapointed that I won't be classed as a skilled worker, given the way the scientific field is at the moment, getting experience is seemingly impossible as everywhere expects it already!
Hi SM. Others here know far more about the various visa types than I do, but as far as I'm aware the 402 (Training and Research) has 3 streams - Occupational Trainee, Professional Development and Research. You need to be sponsored/invited to apply for this temporary visa and there are various conditions attached.

Re the skilled worker thing, I know it's disappointing but perhaps look at it another way - Australia, like most countries, will only issue skilled working visas in any given profession or trade when it is in Australia's interests to do so, ie when there aren't sufficient Australian people with that skill. I agree with Old Sparkles that a 'new' PhD, without a substantial academic or research background, will struggle to obtain a work visa.

As I say, I'm not a full bottle on various visa opportunities and I'm sure others will be along to advise you further. The Work/Holiday visa is a popular choice for young people who want to get a 'feel' for the country.