Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Planning the big move - logistics!

Planning the big move - logistics!

Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

roobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura about
Default Planning the big move - logistics!

Hello

We are planning to move out to oz after xmas, but I'm already getting a bit fazed out by how much there is to organize!

How did you plan the logistics of your big move before reaching oz and once you reached oz to make it as stress free and smooth as possible?

thanks!
roobush
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:21 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Planning the big move - logistics!

Originally Posted by roobush
Hello

We are planning to move out to oz after xmas, but I'm already getting a bit fazed out by how much there is to organize!

How did you plan the logistics of your big move before reaching oz and once you reached oz to make it as stress free and smooth as possible?

thanks!
roobush
I'm a project manager.............

Lists and schedules... that helps, tick them off as you go.

As much research as possible, this forum is a great start.

Try to get, if not a job, some interviews lined up before you arrive so you can hit the ground running.

BB
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:09 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning the big move - logistics!

Hello

thanks!
roobush
As Buzzy says, lists, lists and more lists. At the top of the forum there's a sticky post which has links to threads that could help you in a more specific way - Click Here

We came over on a 457 which meant that things happened quite quickly (visa granted end of November, in Australia beginning of January - would have been sooner if not for those pesky Christmas holidays and a complete lack of flights!) - the only way I coped in the slightest was to break it all down into manageable lists and a schedule tying it all together, then I knew exactly what had to be done and when.

Have fun
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:13 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

thanks!
roobush
Try these from a local removals company, some good advice there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HintsOnMovingHome.pdf (183.6 KB, 102 views)
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have planned and organised our move in about 3 or 4 weeks because that is all the time I had. If I had six months I am sure it would have taken me six months. I think the time it takes expands to take up the whole of the time available.

Anyway what others have said, lists, lists, lists. We brainstormed what needed to be done and then I did a lovely spreadsheet and allocated tasks to myself and task to my husband, I put deadlines on them and also a status indicator "Not started", "In progress", "Completed" and used traffic light colour coding.

We reviewed where we were at the end of each day and highlighted tasks for the next day.

I am currently sitting in the Cathay Pacific lounge about to fly out, on my laptop and my tasks are all green and Completed. Mr Bermudashorts still has one or two red but he has a day or two left before he flies.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have planned and organised our move in about 3 or 4 weeks because that is all the time I had. If I had six months I am sure it would have taken me six months. I think the time it takes expands to take up the whole of the time available.

Anyway what others have said, lists, lists, lists. We brainstormed what needed to be done and then I did a lovely spreadsheet and allocated tasks to myself and task to my husband, I put deadlines on them and also a status indicator "Not started", "In progress", "Completed" and used traffic light colour coding.

We reviewed where we were at the end of each day and highlighted tasks for the next day.

I am currently sitting in the Cathay Pacific lounge about to fly out, on my laptop and my tasks are all green and Completed. Mr Bermudashorts still has one or two red but he has a day or two left before he flies.
So how many arguments did the outstanding red lights start????
Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
So how many arguments did the outstanding red lights start????
None .. yet. I am a reasonable woman and he still has time.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

It won't be stress free, whatever you do!

Start planning now, you cannot be too prepared. Do not fall into the trap of thinking you have loads of time because it whizzes by.
If you think you will be selling/giving away stuff, start doing it now.

List writing ....I didn't but it is great advice from Buzzy!

Good luck

Oh & wine helps a lot too!