Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plane ticket prices

Plane ticket prices

Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:03 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plane ticket prices

Just did a few quotes on Travel bag, and Jungle Travel. I will be relocating in Canberaa with my girl friend. So from Glagow to Canberra, nearly £1000 each. Did a quote from Glasgow to Melbourne just over £550 each. Dose any one know why there is such a big difference?
We have decided to just travel to Melbourne and hire a car and drive up from Melbourne. Car hire will only cost us £180 for a week. So it still works out cheaper to do that than it is to fly direct to Canberra.
Jim
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:28 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plane ticket prices

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Just did a few quotes on Travel bag, and Jungle Travel. I will be relocating in Canberaa with my girl friend. So from Glagow to Canberra, nearly £1000 each. Did a quote from Glasgow to Melbourne just over £550 each. Dose any one know why there is such a big difference?
We have decided to just travel to Melbourne and hire a car and drive up from Melbourne. Car hire will only cost us £180 for a week. So it still works out cheaper to do that than it is to fly direct to Canberra.
Jim
hi jim,

the price to Canberra is higher because more airlines fly to Melbourne than Canberra, and it is a more common 'hub' to fly to. Therefore, the airlines who do fly to CBR know that they can hike the prices up, because not as many airline fly there!!! does that make sense. (i worked in the travel industry for nearly 20 years !!!!!!)

michelle
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:33 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bun
hi jim,

the price to Canberra is higher because more airlines fly to Melbourne than Canberra, and it is a more common 'hub' to fly to. Therefore, the airlines who do fly to CBR know that they can hike the prices up, because not as many airline fly there!!! does that make sense. (i worked in the travel industry for nearly 20 years !!!!!!)

michelle
Yes it dose make sense, just seems a bit of a ripoff though. But, I guess if your smart you can get around it. I wonder how many people get sucked into paying £1000.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:40 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it dose make sense, just seems a bit of a ripoff though. But, I guess if your smart you can get around it. I wonder how many people get sucked into paying £1000.
those desperate to get to CBR and can't be bothered driving all that way from MEL!!!!!!!
there's always a market!!!....

michelle
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:53 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

You could fly to Melbourne and then get a one-way flight to Canberra with Virgin Blue for $49 !!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:08 pm
Breast Inspector

Originally Posted by bun
those desperate to get to CBR and can't be bothered driving all that way from MEL!!!!!!!
there's always a market!!!....

michelle
Well I don't mind the drive I was an interstate truck driver before I left OZ to come to Glasgow. Just got to remeber how to get out of Melbourne!!! :scared:
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:09 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Just got to remeber how to get out of Melbourne!!! :scared:
Quickly?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:15 pm
Breast Inspector

Originally Posted by wmoore
Quickly?
No I don't mind seeing the sites of Melbourne a dozen times, just would like to get to Canberra eventualy, as I need to look for work. Also will only have the rental car for a week.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:17 pm
What's happening dudes?

No I don't mind seeing the site a dozen times, just would like to get to Canberra eventualy, as I need to look for work. Also will only have the rental car for a week.
Unless you really want to take in the scenery, I would fly. For the sake of £20 it would be rude not to.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:20 pm
Breast Inspector

Originally Posted by wmoore
Unless you really want to take in the scenery, I would fly. For the sake of £20 it would be rude not to.
Yeah well my master (girl friend) wants to see Philip Island and east coast of Victoria, so to keep the peace I we'll be driving to Canberra.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:09 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Hey ZX, I`m an Aussie returning home soon too (Perth). I`d rather stay in the UK but it`s the best thing overall as we now have a young family.

What are your reasons for going back and would you rather stay in the UK?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A very large percentage of travellers to Canberra are business/government. They will pay the fares whatever they are.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Try the Singapore Airlines website www.sia.com.sg I think, anyway we flew Manchester to Brizzy for 450GBP each, and now you can pick your own seat online. Alternativly P&O do 6 week cruises from Southhampton via the Panama

Papa Z