Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plan B - November to January

Plan B - November to January

Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Plan B - November to January

I have read some post discussing about how difficult is to find a job between November and January, so here's the deal.

I will fly to Sydney on Sept, 26th to validate the visa and start the job hunting, etc. while my wife is working in London until the 9th of November.

We have been thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea, just if I can't find a decent job by the 15th of November, to go for a couple of months to spend christmas with the family in South America instead of spending our savings for two months that appear to be bad for employment (We can perfectly survive with USD1000 per month in LATAM). Then, we can go back around the 15th of January to kick off the job hunting, find the flat and so on.

Do you think is a good idea or do you think is better to just try harder those months?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plan B - November to January

Sounds like a nice idea, why not? You might not get the opportunity to spend a couple of months in South America again for a while.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

what industry do you work in?

I initially got here in september...loafed around for a bit and then started looking in November and got a well paying IT job about a week later.

My OH has found work in November and december a couple of times, without a huge amount of effort.

The time I find that is slower (ignoring the obvious two week period of Christmas day - boxing - new year and recovery) is the end of financial year at around June/July.

All I'd say is if you are determined to find something you should find some good recruiters and latch on to them (admittedly easier said than done). Hound them and keep checking sites like Seek.com.au

But, if you want a trip to South America, then absolutely go for it
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:39 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

If you're going to do that I'd say 15th January is too soon to start job hunting. Not many places will feel 'fully operational' after summer break until after the Australia day holiday (26th January).

So - do the S.America thing - but perhaps have another couple of weeks away? (a lot cheaper to wait it out there than in Australia)
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Thank you all for your comments..

I'm into Creative Services - Brand - Marketing with UK qualifications

I'm flexible with the industry...
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

nadine23 is on a distinguished road

I found a marketing job in Sydney in November pretty easily and my husband in December also - it's a bit hit and miss I guess. Good luck
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Now the problem is the ticket... I just checked the prices and I've seen so far tickets around USD 2650 pp. (low season) What a headache!
So the plan B will be to get that bartender's license...
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
So the plan B will be to get that bartender's license...
Or you could become a barista.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

If you went to some agencies I wonder if you could pick up something to cover someone else's leave. Many here take their whole years allowance off over Xmas as it coincides with the school holidays.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It is certainly possible to get work between that time. This is not Italy or Spain in August. It's like London in August. The place still functions.