Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

plagiarism in todays sydney daily telegraph

View Poll Results: Do you know the "four yorkshiremen" skit ?
Yup, I know it like the back of my hand
27.27%
never heard of it
22.73%
shoot the journalist for plagiarism
45.45%
neverheard of it but Im gonna download it right now
4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

plagiarism in todays sydney daily telegraph

Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:06 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default plagiarism in todays sydney daily telegraph

Reading the daily telegraph this morning I came across one journalists article that after reading the first 2 paragraphs I had to read the rest to see if he stole any more from monty pythons 1974 skit "four yorkshiremen"

In disbelief that he would steal such work, I emailed him and his reply was "that python skit is so well known that everyone would know I was quoting python"

Excuse me for being a bit fussy, but to use word for word in your articles "pitch" someone elses intellectual copyrighted property isnt right.

And so I add a poll because I do not think that the 1974 monty python sketch is so widely known that it is known by even the majority (if I can get the poll thingy to work !)
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:11 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Is that the 'you were lucky.......' one?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:14 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster
Is that the 'you were lucky.......' one?
......lived in a shoebox in the middle of the road

in those days we were glad to have the price of a cup of tea. a cup of cold tea, without milk or sugar.... or tea
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:15 am
Kiwified member

Yeah, I know that one - and I was born in 1974!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:18 am
Banned

funny as hell, I have the mp3 LOL
spose I shouldnt have said anything to him really seeing as I am guilty of copyright infringement
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
......lived in a shoebox in the middle of the road

in those days we were glad to have the price of a cup of tea. a cup of cold tea, without milk or sugar.... or tea
I seem to remember a bit vaguely like - 'you're lucky, five of us were brought up in a sardine tin'?

That's co-incidental because I was just watching a repeat of Michael Palin's 'Sahara' and he visited the place where they filmed 'Life of Brian' and they showed the 'always look on the bright side of life' bit. (Slightly off thread!)

OzTennis
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:52 am
Banned

Originally posted by OzTennis
I seem to remember a bit vaguely like - 'you're lucky, five of us were brought up in a sardine tin'?

That's co-incidental because I was just watching a repeat of Michael Palin's 'Sahara' and he visited the place where they filmed 'Life of Brian' and they showed the 'always look on the bright side of life' bit. (Slightly off thread!)

OzTennis
no, not off topic michael palin's voyages were great. the misses read his book, I only watched a bit of his trip. Hes amazing !!!!

Four yorkshiremen skit is below, hillarious !!

Monty Python's Flying Circus -
"Four Yorkshiremen"

[ from the album Live At Drury Lane, 1974 ]

The Players:
Michael Palin - First Yorkshireman;
Graham Chapman - Second Yorkshireman;
Terry Jones - Third Yorkshireman;
Eric Idle - Fourth Yorkshireman;

The Scene:
Four well-dressed men are sitting together at a vacation resort.
'Farewell to Thee' is played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You're right there, Obadiah.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
A cup o' cold tea.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Without milk or sugar.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Or tea.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In a cracked cup, an' all.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was right.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
ALL:
They won't!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Luke

Thanks for posting that, it is funny and it all come back- the dour Yorkshiremen not to be outdone. Yep, Palin is brilliant (one survey revealed he was the most 'trusted' person in the UK, so I guess he should have said there were WMD's in Iraq). Fortunately on satellite in the UK they repeat Around the World in 80 days, Pole to Pole and Sahara almost constantly. He is making another series presently (and I've forgotten where it is).

OzTennis
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:35 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Monty Python - was always a bit of my father and brother thing..hence I ignored it for years....but now!

Brian! Brian!

just is my favourite line......for untold reasons...but I had that mum!

the I was worse story is so annoying when people do not know where it came from......but funny also when they carry it on thinking they are original

.......my dad and brother still talk about the goons? tell me why?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Sandra
.......my dad and brother still talk about the goons? tell me why?
The Goons - similar humour in many ways to Python - zany, offbeat, witty, satirical etc. Spike Milligan was such a funny and zany person (as was Peter Cook, but that's another story). Major Denis Bloodnock, Eccles, Bluebottle, Neddy, Seagoon etc were very funny characters and Milligan, Sellers and Seacombe blended together so well.

British humour (this is an Aussie telling you that) has some fantastic highlights - apart from the aforementioned there are classics such as Porridge, Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Rising Damp etc, etc - note not many modern ones in my list because it has gone a bit off the boil of late (just like the music, but it's rebelling against the manufactured, vote for your star stuff). No, Have I got news for you comes to mind.

OzTennis
Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:11 am
Banned

When all is said and done British humour reigns supreme
Canadians have their "this hour has 22 minutes" and the red and green show, ozzies had the Paul Hogan show, the yanks had.......... well they had something but I forget what
Brits had so many memourable funnies its hard to say what the top 100 are !!!!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:27 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
The Goons - [snip] Major Denis Bloodnock, Eccles, Bluebottle, Neddy, Seagoon etc were very funny characters and Milligan, Sellers and Seacombe blended together so well.
I do not know how to do this but (put my comment in, in the comment above (but trying)) ...these people I remember as if grew up with them.

[/QUOTE]
British humour (this is an Aussie telling you that) has some fantastic highlights - apart from the aforementioned there are classics such as Porridge, Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Rising Damp etc, etc - note not many modern ones in my list because it has gone a bit off the boil of late (just like the music, but it's rebelling against the manufactured, vote for your star stuff). No, Have I got news for you comes to mind.

OzTennis [/QUOTE]

Love all you mentioned - what about Ad Fab?

I have watched Corrie in NZ last night .....I have just realised that you can only relate to certain movements when used to movement in the same country....meaning they looked like plonkers acting plonkers! (I thought I missed this progremme).

Nope .....I now think I need a goons tape to have a laugh - I might be spoilt !
Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:36 am
Banned

Ah the goons......... who can ever forget the "yong tong song" ?

For anyone reading this thread, I intend to give this link to the journalist that decided to use monty pythons works in his article and depict this as his own !

give him a beer !!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Anything with shoot a journalist in it gets my vote!!.... (Pollster excluded)
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:12 pm
Kiwified member

Originally posted by podgypossum
Anything with shoot a journalist in it gets my vote!!.... (Pollster excluded)

Thanks for that!