Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to visit in Melbourne

Places to visit in Melbourne

Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Places to visit in Melbourne

I'm hoping to have 5 days in Melbourne in October and I'm after ideas for places for me and hubby to visit.
We have decided to visit Philip Island and see the penguins and koala's.
Wondered if any one can offer some suggestions. We are hoping to have a hire car but dont know whether to tour around and stay at a different place every night or have one base and do day tours from there.
i want to make sure i cram as much into my time avaliable as possible.
We are also going to be staying in Albury with relatives and going to attempt travelling from Albury to the Blue Mountains and then on to Melbourne.
Hope you can come up with some ideas to help me.
Mandy

Last edited by geordie mandy; Jul 20th 2006 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of
Default Re: Places to visit in Melbourne

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
I'm hoping to have 5 days in Melbourne in October and I'm after ideas for places for me and hubby to visit.
Wondered if we offer some suggestions. We are hoping to have a hire car but dont know whether to tour around and stay at a different place every night or have one base and do day tours from there.
We are also going to be staying in Albury with relatives and going to attempt travelling from Albury to the Blue Mountains and then on to Melbourne.
Mandy
Hi Mandy,

The penguins are fab!!! I would also recommend catching the ferry from sorrento to queenscliff and doing the great ocean road after seeing the penguins - it's amazing!

KayC
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KayC
Hi Mandy,

The penguins are fab!!! I would also recommend catching the ferry from sorrento to queenscliff and doing the great ocean road after seeing the penguins - it's amazing!

KayC

thanks Kay that does sound good . i shall look into that
Mandy
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

thanks Kay that does sound good . i shall look into that
Mandy
Last time we went, we stayed in 'Best Westerns' all the way down and they were about $100 per night.
KayC
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Last time we went, we stayed in 'Best Westerns' all the way down and they were about $100 per night.
KayC

Ive just been looking at hotels and stuff so that info is very handy.
How long did it take to do the Great ocean road From sorrento?
Mandy
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ive just been looking at hotels and stuff so that info is very handy.
How long did it take to do the Great ocean road From sorrento?
Mandy
We went as far as warnambool and then north, As I remember it only took about 4 days. We had 2 nights in Torquay, 1 in Port Campbell (which is lovely) and then we headed up to the Grampians and stayed in Horsham, it took us a day to get back to Melbourne.
KayC
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We went as far as warnambool and then north, As I remember it only took about 4 days. We had 2 nights in Torquay, 1 in Port Campbell (which is lovely) and then we headed up to the Grampians and stayed in Horsham, it took us a day to get back to Melbourne.
KayC

Thanks that helps us to work out what we can fit into out time frame.
Mandy
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Wondered if any one can offer some suggestions. We are hoping to have a hire car but dont know whether to tour around and stay at a different place every night or have one base and do day tours from there.
Mandy
A couple of websites that might help with a few ideas:

http://www.visitmelbourne.com/

http://www.melbourne.com.au/

Big Bird
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Bendigo, Ballarat and/or Echuca are all lovely!!

At Ballarat you have Sovereign Hill. At Bendigo you have lots of gorgeous buildings, parks and.....me!! Echuca is on the Murray River and there is LOADS to see and do up around there....

Just thought I would add these as an option other than the Coast....
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

-----8<-----
Mandy
This thread started by Pootle has some top tips of things to see and do in Melbourne. Five days just isn't enough, particluarly if you go down to Philip Island and drive The Great Ocean Road.

Have a fabulous time whatever you do!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 3:56 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on stamina and the use of an automatic car, you can get to Warrnambool in a day from Sorento - its about 300km of windy roads and lots of things to see. If you come back along the land route, it takes 4 hours from Warrnambool to Melbourne with a coffee stop in Colac.

KayC
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you everyone for other ideas to help us enjoy as much of Melbourne and areas around when we visit.
I totally agree 5 days is not enough to fully appreciate all that will be on offer . But my thinking is if we are lucky enough to live in Melbourne then we will have so many places to explore that there will be no way my family will ever say they are bored again.
Mandy
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Mandy, I dont want to sound a killjoy, but if you are planning on living in Melbourne, shouldnt you be checking out houses, schools, work etc. The touristy things you can do once you're here

Paul
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulb
Mandy, I dont want to sound a killjoy, but if you are planning on living in Melbourne, shouldnt you be checking out houses, schools, work etc. The touristy things you can do once you're here

Paul

Hopefully we are coming via the army route so no 100% garentee that we will get Melbourne, also the army will provide housing , so we are lucky enough not to have to worry about that side of things. Hubby is getting a visit to a barracks. Plus we wont be here till 2009 at the earliest, so we can treat this trip as a holiday. we are intending trying to get out once a year till he finds out where we will be going.
In any other circumstance then we would be looking at more practical ways of spending our time in Melbourne.
Mandy
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:10 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

The Grampian mountains ( Halls Gap) The Puffing billy steam train through the Dandelong ranges, Queenscliffe and the great ocean road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.