Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to visit between Sydney and Brisbane

Places to visit between Sydney and Brisbane

Old Jul 24th 2013, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: places to visit between sydney and brisbane

Hyundai i30 hatch. Plenty of space for 3 littlies in the back, plus luggage.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

what is the best escape route out of sydney.

also sydney-heatherbrae pie shop - some ramdon stop - woolgoolga overnight - relies at bryon /nambucca heads - brisbane

how much are the toll roads leaving airport about 9:00 ish

Last edited by goingau; Jul 26th 2013 at 5:41 pm. Reason: tolls
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

i30 won't take five bags
subaru liberty/i45 from thrifty possibly
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Yes probably need to go a bit bigger - I thought the i30 might have been the wagon (=estate) version but the normal hatch is a bit light on luggage room.

I'm not too familiar with driving in the City, our rellies are on the Northern Beaches, but I've been through the City from South to North a couple of times and it's actually not too bad, just stop-start.

The biggest absolute traffic jam I ever saw in my life was on the M25 London ring road so I guess it's nothing that will faze you.

Your best bet to get out of Sydney is just to follow the "1" National Highway signs. Even if they seem to be taking you strange places, just stick with it. Avoid Google maps telling you to use the Lane Cove Tunnel. Unfortunately you won't be going over the Sydney Harbour Bridge, you'll take the Harbour tunnel. There will later come the magical moment when you are suddenly on an on-ramp onto quite an impressive motorway heading North through impressive sandstone ridges and valleys and cliffs, and you are freeeeee

Just follow the 1 all the way to Brisbane. At Newcastle don't take the alternative choice of the New England highway - that will take you way inland away from the Coast.

There's a McDonalds etc at least every hour and no shortage of fuel stops. Current petrol around $1.55 a litre.

For the tolls we don't have coin booths any more but there's a 13 number to ring. In Australia 13 numbers are special service numbers that you can ring from any phone, anywhere in Australia and generally take you to a call centre. I think the toll one is 133331 but there will be plenty of signs advising. You have 48 hours to ring, just tell them where you have been and they will take a visa, mastercard payment etc over the phone. The hire car number plate will have been photographed at the toll points.

For Sydney you'll probably just have the motorway leading to the tunnel, the tunnel itself (I'd guess maybe $6 all up, I'll check with a rellie and post) and then nothing more till Brisbane if you need to go over the Gateway Bridge.

For your own phone if overseas roaming is going to be hugely expensive for you I'd recommend just buying yourself a cheap prepaid $30 "grandma" mobile for the odd call in Australia. You can buy them from any supermarket with sim card, and give it to a rellie when you leave or drop it in a charity box.

I'd recommend Woolgoolga as a convenient stop, although Nambucca Heads is lovely - see photo I posted recently.

edit: hey I discovered to my surprise that they have actually opened the Kempsey Bypass (that deserves a special episode of "That's Amazing" : Australian road project completed six months ahead of time ).

So that's one less hold-up. As it happens I'm going to be in Brisbane on Sunday and driving a family friend's car back down here for her so I'll make note of the various roadworks progress. It's a Volvo so wish me luck

Last edited by Mike at Taree; Jul 26th 2013 at 11:39 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

wow. thanks for the info i knew nothing about the 13 numbers, even my brothers never mentioned them. i guess there just something you get use to and think everyone knows. until asked.
did think google road directions were a bit strange sending us further into the city i started to think it was some sort of one way system.

it's been about 26-29 degrees today here just getting a bit of rain now...
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

3 days to pay in QLD.

https://www.govia.com.au/SelfService...sesnone.action
Old Jul 28th 2013, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes basically you have to go right through the City, there's no "ring road" as such but it's easy to follow, just look for the "1". Heading for a top of 22 here today, bloody freezing winter weather
Old Jul 28th 2013, 1:47 am
Just Joined

mangotree is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Hertz. We rented from them a couple years ago and there was no relocation fee from Sydney to Brisbane making them cheapest by a long shot. We were also able to pay the tolls directly to them with so surcharge which was handy so worth a try.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way I would get off a 24 hour flight and start driving. It's much safer to clear customs, leave the airport, sleep at a motel close by, get hire car delivered to you the next day. This saves on airport pick-up surcharges and a lot of waiting.

I know what it's like to crash on a strange road straight off a plane. Don't try it.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 11:09 am
Just Joined

gtewary is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: places to visit between sydney and brisbane

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
To OP, me again, hit me with a shovel

Considering the longer trip due to the massive bypass building that's happening on the Pacific hwy on at the moment I'd look at breaking the journey overnight and would thoroughly recommend Nambucca Heads, North of Port Macquarie. Right on the hwy and five from the beach.

Nice motel right next door to the RSL Club - family friendly - (Returned Services League, equivalent to British Legion) and have a nice dinner overlooking the river.

There's an excellent hotel motel booking service called Wotif you can Google and book / pay.

http://<a href="http://s678.photobuc...7b.jpg</a></a>
I agree- we did the road trip from Sydney to Surfer's Paradise and back. Pacific highway going up and New England coming Down. New England is much better and Nambucca heads was a good place to stay the night.
Gaurav
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

We did this trip last year and South West Rocks was one of my favourite places to stay. It was lovely, nice people too
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

We did this trip in November stopped for a few days round port Stephens. Main reason was to go sand dune quad biking on Stockton beach. Went to Newcastle too.