Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to see before we go!

Wikiposts

Places to see before we go!

Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Banksia I do not know about the others but I would go overseas 3 times a year from the UK. New York fares can be picked up for the price of a flight to Cairns, barcelona the same as a flight to Brisbane, Paris by train in 4 hours door to door etc. We would just look what airline was giving out the special offers and go for that.

Not sure if I would do the same with a family but short holidays in Europe were excellent and something we look at with fond memories.

There are great holidays to be had in Australia and I will be doing some this year.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to see before we go!

Originally posted by noodle
Wow, there are so many places to go and see. If I ever get a visa, I would love to take my 7 year old to London to see Madame Tussauds and The London Dungeon. My family are from London, so we used to go quite a bit when I was little and I absolutely loved it. Really eerie, but also very educational.
My family are also from the London area and we lived in Windsor, and back in the 1970's it was a lot easier driving there (much less traffic), so we got taken often to all the attractions. I wanted to do the same for our kids before we emigrated. So we got the train and stayed in a posh hotel for 2 nights, courtesy of Air Miles! We had loads of Air Miles and Tesco Days Out vouchers to use up. We spent 3 wonderful days in London, doing all the touristy things and the only money we spent was on the train fare and meals. We also booked some attractions online, such as Madame Tussauds and the London Eye, and that way we bypassed all the queues. We didn't have enough Air Miles to get us to Paris though, we've been there ourselves but the kids haven't, so it's something they'll have to save up for themselves when they're older.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:07 am
Just Joined

NickyAmIMad is an unknown quantity at this point

That was a great idea Jacqui to spend a weekend in London. We are not city people but there is so much to see and explore even for our little kids. I think we will do the same before we go (they will be 3 and 5 then) although I think madame Tussauds would scare the life out of them! I remember having nightmares after I went and I was 7)

If my husband goes to Oz on his own to do the reccy trip (couldn't afford for us all to go and I trust his judgement, I think ), then maybe he'll agree for me to go to Venice or Pompeii/Capri, etc with my mum, and leave HIM home with the kids! More than a fair swap, I reckon!

Any more ideas? After all, we won't be able to hop across the channel anymore but there are great places to explore in Australia...
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

What about something that bit more exotic - Marakesh / Istanbul? Or perhaps nearer - Barcelona?
Hope you have a great time planning etc.!
Larissa
(Where shall I go next?)
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:41 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Some of my favourite overseas places, all of which are accessible from England:

Paris
South west France (around Biaritz)
Prague
A small town called Cesky Krumluv in the Czech Republic
Salzburg
Lake Como and Garda
Zurich
Umbria
Chamonix in summer
Venice
Stockholm
The Finnish wilderness
Florence

I'll stop there, the list really could go on for many pages. Trips to places like these is one of the reasons why we got very bored in Sydney after a couple of years and now live back in London.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:56 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

upon my return to NZ I expect to hardly see many places in Europe again (unless work is paying). Contrary to what some say though, I will be able to afford trips to places like India, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Pacific Islands, west coast USA, and parts of south America, so all is not lost.

That may not be centre of the world, but it's still a pretty interesting bit...

but my list of my favourite places near the UK is:

- Scotland
- Rome
- Pompeii & Herculaneum
- Santorini
- Egypt Nile Valley & Sinai peninsular
- Eden Project in Cornwall
- Coastal walks in Wales and Cornwall
- St Ives
- Exmoor and Dartmoor
- and all the typical sights in London, Oxford etc etc (even Madame Tussauds, which I thought was great - and normally I hate stuff like that)
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Can think of a million places I would like to go but after the costs of the skills/visa appliaction/agents fees, find myself having to watch the pennies.
Next is the meds, a small fortune for 2 adults and 2 teenagers.
Then saving for 4 x flights, kids then had the nerve to ask if we could go first class as it is only way.

I am not complaining though, as I am looking forward to our `new life` ( if we ever get there)
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:34 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

but with only 2 weeks leave granted by most jobs the chances of doing all this before you die are far slimmer in kiwiland than UK.

the costs from kiwiland are also a lot steeper as no airline competition. ticket to la. air kiwiland or lump it. that will be $3,000 kiwi bucks please one way.

Originally posted by jandjuk
upon my return to NZ I expect to hardly see many places in Europe again (unless work is paying). Contrary to what some say though, I will be able to afford trips to places like India, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Pacific Islands, west coast USA, and parts of south America, so all is not lost.

That may not be centre of the world, but it's still a pretty interesting bit...

but my list of my favourite places near the UK is:

- Scotland
- Rome
- Pompeii & Herculaneum
- Santorini
- Egypt Nile Valley & Sinai peninsular
- Eden Project in Cornwall
- Coastal walks in Wales and Cornwall
- St Ives
- Exmoor and Dartmoor
- and all the typical sights in London, Oxford etc etc (even Madame Tussauds, which I thought was great - and normally I hate stuff like that)
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

I can highly recommend Marrakech for a long weekend especially if not in the summer when it is too hot. Flights are not the cheapest but accomodation and food etc is pretty cheap.

We also used to go to Europe for weekend cheap breaks but since the birth of our son, its not as easy. You can no longer get the cheap flights as we need reasonable to get there/be home at a sensible hour, difficult to eat out in the evening, and no fun being stuck in a cheap hotel room all evening babysitting. So its apartments with cooking facilities which cost more etc etc.

So I'm happy that although I will miss it, it's gone now pretty much in the UK so on moving to Oz it will be one less thing that I feel I am losing out on.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Larissa

Don't think we'll be coming to the Pompey meet in Feb....I am researching/dreaming/thinking of a new life in Oz but my husband is concentrating on work and won't really discuss it at the moment!
He is waiting to see what happens in his career and company and says we will talk fully this summer...I think he is scared he won't get a job as fulfilling in Oz! He is the only wage earner so I guess it is a huge risk!

Have seen the Tricorn, but so that's one thing ticked off my 'to do list'.

Nicky
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NickyAmIMad
Larissa

Don't think we'll be coming to the Pompey meet in Feb....I am researching/dreaming/thinking of a new life in Oz but my husband is concentrating on work and won't really discuss it at the moment!
He is waiting to see what happens in his career and company and says we will talk fully this summer...I think he is scared he won't get a job as fulfilling in Oz! He is the only wage earner so I guess it is a huge risk!

Have seen the Tricorn, but so that's one thing ticked off my 'to do list'.

Nicky
Hiya Nicky
Good luck with the research... remember to plant some ideas by dropping lots of hints etc. We were at your stage last year - took a few months of hints before hubby bit the bullet!
Larissa
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Hmm, sounds like good old-fashioned female manipulation to me! Subtlety is the way to go, definitely. Today it's my idea......six month's down the line, his idea

Nicky
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by NickyAmIMad
Hmm, sounds like good old-fashioned female manipulation to me! Subtlety is the way to go, definitely. Today it's my idea......six month's down the line, his idea

Nicky
Then you tell him what a good idea he had!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:41 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Nicky will you miss Netley Abbey in S`ton ?? Or the New Forest? Or the great castles in the area?

We`re about to have a baby (May). We`re planning to go back to Aus in the next few years (or sooner) so that the baby will have his/her grandparents around (English, in Perth). That would be great for the baby on the one hand, but on the other they`ll miss out on so many great things in this area of the world.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

jandjuk - in a bid to win the title of Mr Picky, can you tell me which of the following destinations is actually nearer from NZ by a factor of greater than 1 hour ?...

places like India, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Pacific Islands, west coast USA, and parts of south America, so all is not lost.

I'm going to give you Australia obviously, but I'm going to dispute the rest with the possible exception of certain S American destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.