Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to see before we go!

Places to see before we go!

Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:52 am
Just Joined

NickyAmIMad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Places to see before we go!

MikeStanton's last post has got me thinking.

When/if I go to Oz will I regret not seeing the Eiffel Tower and many other European sites and wonders? I will regret not giving a new life in Australia a chance but there are many things in Europe I still have not experienced. Married young!

The 4 of us were going for a reccy to Adelaide next year but maybe I should send my other half to Oz for 2 weeks and take the kids to Italy (I've always wanted to go to Pompeii, Capri, etc) with my Mum (who is widowed and is being brave about the thought of us going to Oz)

Anybody else feel the same way? It might be our last chance...
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: Places to see before we go!

Originally posted by NickyAmIMad

When/if I go to Oz will I regret not seeing the Eiffel Tower and many other European sites and wonders? I will regret not giving a new life in Australia a chance but there are many things in Europe I still have not experienced. Married young!

The 4 of us were going for a reccy to Adelaide next year but maybe I should send my other half to Oz for 2 weeks and take the kids to Italy (I've always wanted to go to Pompeii, Capri, etc) with my Mum (who is widowed and is being brave about the thought of us going to Oz)
So, with all this nipping over to the Continent that allegedly goes on you haven't seen the Eiffel Tower? Unlike (apparently) many poor folk who live in Oz we have almost camped under it in a campervan many years ago before the curse of prosperity descended on the crowded states of Europe (of which the UK is delighed to be a member).

There is much merit in what you suggest as, if you come to Oz, it will bring new meaning to how folk play in the Northern and Southern hemisphere and the concept of SPACE.

It was that which struck me when travelling in Europe back in the 70s and more recently in the south of France last year. In Europe you do that stuff on your annual holiday; here you do it pretty much all year round.

Unless you live in Cunnamulla.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:06 am
Go Banana's !!

we felt the same and went to Rome last August for exactly the reasons you state. It doesn't mean that we would never be able to do this from Oz, only that it its easier from here while you can.

We also notice more things around us now in our local area which we haven't yet done since we decided to up sticks...

Warren
Perth 2004....

Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicky - married young myself and have 2 kids! The weekend before last, I went to Venice with my mum for the weekend. We took the baby (well, he's one) and dragged his pushchair up and down the bridges and got very wet! I shared a room with mum and she snored like a trooper! But, I would recommend going (take ear plugs) but perhaps avoid going in January/February as the weather is so unpredictable. We didn't get to see a lot of the sights, because of the rain. I would love to go back to Italy though - very clean, people were very good with the sprog (unlike England). I'd keep an eye out for good last minute deals - if it's just a long weekend you won't have to worry about taking the kids out of school.
Take care,
Larissa
PS Pompey meet is on the 7th - you'd be welcome if you don't mind hanging out with a whole bunch of Pompey birds! :scared: (Must see the tricorn before you go eh?)
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:25 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

My "place to go" is Egypt.

For some reason I don't think I'll get round to going there once I'm in Aus (too many places in Aus to visit, will keep me busy awhile, perhaps).

I'm interested in ancient Egypt (hence the avatar) and haven't been able to afford the trip until now, so I'm thinking of blowing some of the house proceeds and taking a short trip to "do" Cairo and Luxor, maybe with a short Nile cruise, just before leaving these shores.

Anyone else got other places they want to "do" before emigrating?

Elaine
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:40 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
(Must see the tricorn before you go eh?)

I'm taking a framed pic of the Tricorn with me.......stunning isn't it?
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, there are so many places to go and see. If I ever get a visa, I would love to take my 7 year old to London to see Madame Tussauds and The London Dungeon. My family are from London, so we used to go quite a bit when I was little and I absolutely loved it. Really eerie, but also very educational.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:01 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

The London Dungeon absolutely stank when we went there....made me heave!! It's a bit pricey i thought, but the kids liked it. If you do go, book your tickets online as it saves queueing for 3 hours to get in!!!!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by artep
The London Dungeon absolutely stank when we went there....made me heave!! It's a bit pricey i thought, but the kids liked it. If you do go, book your tickets online as it saves queueing for 3 hours to get in!!!!

Actually, it was 17 years ago now. Shit, I feel old, it didn't seem that long ago!!! I'd still love to again though.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by artep
I'm taking a framed pic of the Tricorn with me.......stunning isn't it?
Yep - you could rip it out to remind your lot what they're missing! (If they suddenly start going on about how great pompey was!)
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:23 pm
....is FAB

Originally posted by Larissa
Yep - you could rip it out to remind your lot what they're missing! (If they suddenly start going on about how great pompey was!)

I couldn't do that to them......I'm gonna have to hide it.....if they see that pic every day they'll be BEGGING me to bring them back
Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Cath is an unknown quantity at this point

We are heading for Sydney in August and we had planned to do a tour of europe before leaving but when we got our visas in December we were told that we had to validate before the 16th April. Imagine our supprise as our medicals and police checks were done in August 2003. So much for 1 year validity. Anyway, we are off in a couple of weeks to validate and therefore can no longer afford the european tour. I guess I shall just have to save them for when we are retired and maybe have some money by then.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

My eldest (4yrs)and I have just spent the weekend in Disneyland as its something we wont be able to do when in Aus .She loved it !!!!!!!!!!
I also went to Venice with my mum last November and had a lovely child free weekend.
We are planning to do all the London touristy things before we go as we never get to do them at the moment .
Old Jan 28th 2004, 2:14 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

When/if I go to Oz will I regret not seeing the Eiffel Tower and many other European sites and wonders?
I know exactly what you mean. That`s one of may main concerns for when we go back to Aus... I want to see the places here if I can because there`s bugger-all chance of ever being able to afford to come back to England again.

Places to see:

Venice. Fly Ryannair and stay in Mestre... just on the north of Venice and MUCH cheaper to stay in.... dead easy to catch a bus to Venice. You`ll probably get bored after a few days of Venice, but if you have the time go to Verona by train, which is great as well and has an excellent amphitheatre.

Rome. Ryanair again. There are some cheap B&B`s you can find on the net in Rome, and the transport system is good. Most expensive thing is the taxi to/from the airport so if you can hack it, take the bus/train from the airport. We both had Gastro while we were there (wife caught it in the UK and it appeared as we arrived at our B&B) so unfortunately we only got to have a day or so actually out of the bedroom and tiolet. You must see the Coloseum, the Forum, Pantheon etc.... most things you can walk to.

Carcassonne. Ryanair to Southern France. The only inhabited medieval walled city in the world (as seen in "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" (Nottingham Castle)). Brilliant Cathar Castle, quiet town... great people, great food. Hire a car and you can see a few of the other Cathar Castles (recommend Queribus and Peyrepertuse at least) and the great countryside and villages.

Dorset. Not Ryanair Wonderful.

Anglesey (Island off North Wales). Magical... and can squeeze in a ferry trip to Dublin too (and take any dogs).

Amsterdam. Cool.

Places I would love to go if we get the chance:
- Pompeii (had planned to go there by train while in Rome, but the tiolet was SO much more interesting ).
- Athens.
- Paris.
- Austria.
- Germany.
- Egypt.
- USA.
- Back to Ireland and drive around.
- Southern Wales.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Fill up whilst you can folks because the proximity to Europe and all it has to offer is one of the things that hits you in the chops like a soggy kipper come holiday times.

Don't get me wrong - theres lots to see and do here, but travel abroad comes at a price and local travel involves much time at the wheel.

You'll miss Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.