Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to live in Sydney

Places to live in Sydney

Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light
Default Places to live in Sydney

Hi,

Out of the blue I have just accepted a job in Sydney and will be arriving on the 18th October.

However we don't really have any idea of what the different areas of Sydney are like. We have four children aged between 3 and 14 and wondered if anybody could recommend a good family orientated area within a 45-60 minute commute of North Sydney.

Thanks

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to live in Sydney

Originally Posted by yanH
Hi,

Out of the blue I have just accepted a job in Sydney and will be arriving on the 18th October.

However we don't really have any idea of what the different areas of Sydney are like. We have four children aged between 3 and 14 and wondered if anybody could recommend a good family orientated area within a 45-60 minute commute of North Sydney.

Thanks

Ian
Which part of Sydney will u be working in? Actually in North Sydney? Both of u can drive? Renting/buying? Budget?

Pymble, Turramurra, Clontarf (which is closer), Northern Beaches...
Old Sep 30th 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Courtney will become famous soon enough

Definately the northern beaches...Narrabeen, Bilgola, Newport. Anywhere around that area, its' gorgeous!!

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Which part of Sydney will u be working in? Actually in North Sydney? Both of u can drive? Renting/buying? Budget?

Old Sep 30th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

I will be working in North Sydney. Both myself and the oh can drive. We were probably looking at renting initially until we find our feet a bit. Budget is a bit difficult to say as we don't really have any idea of property costs in these areas. We will be looking for a four bedroom house though, preferably not to far from schools as the children are still quite young.

Last edited by yanH; Sep 30th 2006 at 11:01 am.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 11:11 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

We rented in Warriewood, near Narrabeen when we first arrived. Four bedroom modern clean house cost us $675.00 per week. Hubby works in Chatswood (close to North Sydney) and I work in Pymble. Have three young children and found the area to be good from a family perspective. Moved into our own home in Terrey Hills last week ( a bit of country in the city!) and hubby is now within half an hour of work and I am only 15 mins away. We love it in this area - check it out when you get here.

Good luck!

B
Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:15 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

If you drive, will you get a parking place at work, otherwise a major expense. Property near stations are expensive - when we looked in Feb/Mar a lot were either asking too much, or unpleasent houses or both. Apparently there was not much on the market at the time.

We looked further afield and have ended up in St Ives (further west than Terrey Hills along Mona Vale rd). It is a larger suburb, but if you pick the right area then bus connection to Gordon train station is quick (around 5-10mins) or you can drive & park at the station (v sure free parking all day there). Again you will be looking at around the $600 (+) mark for 4 bed. You can go cheaper up St Ives Chase but if you look at the map it is enclosed 3sides by bush adding to commute time. Have a look at domain.com.au (st ives postcode 2075) for ideas on properties/costs.

if you are relying on public transport then use this to estimate commute times 131500 (can include walking time from an address)
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

andyspud is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Places to live in Sydney

Hi,

Thanks

Ian
Hi

I've been living in Turramurra for nearly 7 weeks now and it's a lovely area, your in the middle of the bush but so close to the city. My husband works in north Sydney and just jumps on the train in the morning takes 25mins. if that to get to the office. My three boys love it too although they haven't started school yet. All the schools in the area look good and do vary in size a bit. We have chosen warrawee public as it's at the top of our road. Be warned though there are some very steep hills around.

Rent wise we got a lovely 4/5 bed within walking distance to school, shops and station for $575 p.w with pool so it can be done and a decent house can be found.

All in all anywhere along the north shore train line is good if you need to use the train but i wouldn't go any further up than wahroonga as the trains become less frequent.

Anyway if we can help any more let us know, and hopefully if you end up close i could meet with my 3 monkeys 8, 5 and 2 1/2.

good luck
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:27 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Ian
we have a 3 bed house in Cremorne and costs $650 week - it is 7 mins on the bus to North Sydney - alhough it is only a 25 min walk!
try www.domain.com.au to give you rental ideas...
where you going to be working in N Syd??

steve
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like people have been giving you some great advice. Once you have some ideas, I would take a drive around once you are here and get a feel for places.

We have a regular meet up on the first Tuesday of each month - some people come with kids and some don't, so your wife is welcome to come and join us. Keep and eye on the meet-ups section for more info.

Look forwards to meeting you guys when you arrive

Rudi
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm going to be working in Blue Street. A 25 minute walk to work sounds good as I am currently doing an hour each way in the car!

Ian

Originally Posted by stevemich
we have a 3 bed house in Cremorne and costs $650 week - it is 7 mins on the bus to North Sydney - alhough it is only a 25 min walk!
try www.domain.com.au to give you rental ideas...
where you going to be working in N Syd??

steve
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:21 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm going to be working in Blue Street. A 25 minute walk to work sounds good as I am currently doing an hour each way in the car!

Ian
Yup - I had 2 hrs each way by train when back in the UK - it is a nice change!!
Blue St is right by the station, so that should open up a few areas a bit further away and give you more choice.
Good luck and let us know where you end up
Steve