Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to live in Geelong

Places to live in Geelong

Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:06 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice
Default Places to live in Geelong

Hi everyone,
We are going over in January, on student visas, and after what was a leaving party has now turned into a wedding/leaving party!! in Edinburgh,
Best way to do it! Leaving party, Goodbyes in one go, me looking fabulous!!
I am going to study at Gordon tafe, and although we are looking at areas and names on a map, it be nice to hear if anyone has any experience or is actually living there. We are going to be on a budget, we are looking at areas good for commuting ( cycle power prob for me!) and close for getting our 20 hr a week jobs in! Bell park and Norlane looks quite reasonable, as do other areas. But any info from people been there and have good local knowledge is always helpful, any reccomends for places to stay initially would be great also.
It feels great to actually start planning, and booking flights, wedding!! etc, instead of just daydreaming,
Any help appreciated,Thanks
Michele
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all
Default Re: Places to live in Geelong

Originally Posted by MicheleandBarry
Hi everyone,
We are going over in January, on student visas, and after what was a leaving party has now turned into a wedding/leaving party!! in Edinburgh,
Best way to do it! Leaving party, Goodbyes in one go, me looking fabulous!!
I am going to study at Gordon tafe, and although we are looking at areas and names on a map, it be nice to hear if anyone has any experience or is actually living there. We are going to be on a budget, we are looking at areas good for commuting ( cycle power prob for me!) and close for getting our 20 hr a week jobs in! Bell park and Norlane looks quite reasonable, as do other areas. But any info from people been there and have good local knowledge is always helpful, any reccomends for places to stay initially would be great also.
It feels great to actually start planning, and booking flights, wedding!! etc, instead of just daydreaming,
Any help appreciated,Thanks
Michele

G'day Michele,

Don't recommend Norlane it is a lower working class area, mostly unemployed people there. Has a reputation of being a bit rough. Also it is one of the outer suburbs in Geelong and about 15 to 20 minutes drive on a three lane highway into the City. Not the best for bike riding.

Bell Park is OK was settled mostly by Greek, Italian and Croatian settlers. Quite a nice area, some very large houses there some of them a bit "over the top" Doesn't really have a village area feel about it, and its about a 10 - 15 drive to the City.

Not too sure it may be a little more expensive but have a look at the Geelong West area, it has a great village feel, quite a few good resteraunts and coffee shops only a 10 minute walk to the city, and a five minute walk to the Gordon. It's one of the earliest areas settled during the Gold Rush era and is quite a trendy wee place now. I live there for a few years and loved every minute of it. You can also consider house sharing, quite a few students do that.

Other reasonable places in that general area Hamlyn Heights, Newtown (parts of it are very old money and expensive) North Geelong, St Helens, Drumcondra, Rippleside, Western Beach (another expensive area)

On the other side of town (close to the city but futher away from the Gordon)
South Geelong, East Geelong, Newcomb. Breakwater (which is near the Gordon's trade caampus I think)

I am happy for you to PM me if you want specific information on any particular area, or suggest estate agents etc.

dalhousie
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dalhousie
G'day Michele,

Don't recommend Norlane it is a lower working class area, mostly unemployed people there. Has a reputation of being a bit rough. Also it is one of the outer suburbs in Geelong and about 15 to 20 minutes drive on a three lane highway into the City. Not the best for bike riding.

Bell Park is OK was settled mostly by Greek, Italian and Croatian settlers. Quite a nice area, some very large houses there some of them a bit "over the top" Doesn't really have a village area feel about it, and its about a 10 - 15 drive to the City.

Not too sure it may be a little more expensive but have a look at the Geelong West area, it has a great village feel, quite a few good resteraunts and coffee shops only a 10 minute walk to the city, and a five minute walk to the Gordon. It's one of the earliest areas settled during the Gold Rush era and is quite a trendy wee place now. I live there for a few years and loved every minute of it. You can also consider house sharing, quite a few students do that.

Other reasonable places in that general area Hamlyn Heights, Newtown (parts of it are very old money and expensive) North Geelong, St Helens, Drumcondra, Rippleside, Western Beach (another expensive area)

South Geelong, East Geelong, Newcomb. Breakwater (which is near the Gordon's trade caampus I think)

I am happy for you to PM me if you want specific information on any particular area, or suggest estate agents etc.

dalhousie
I agree with all that Dalhousie has said, although I also wouldn't really recommend Breakwater....bit too rough, not much character, little further out..

There's just one other area that I'd mention - Eastern Beach.

I suspect that Geelong West would be the most suitable

Newcomb might be a teeny bit too far to cycle - quite a large hill between there and town...I guess it depends how fit you are. The buses used to be quite good - I've not idea what they are like now though.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:03 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - take a look at Geelong West, and also Manifold Heights.

See also www.realestate.com.au

Best regards (from a resident of Geelong).
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:04 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

PS. I'm assuming you would be studying at the City campus of the Gordon. There is also a campus at East Geelong ...
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I agree with all that Dalhousie has said, although I also wouldn't really recommend Breakwater....bit too rough, not much character, little further out..

There's just one other area that I'd mention - Eastern Beach.

I suspect that Geelong West would be the most suitable

Newcomb might be a teeny bit too far to cycle - quite a large hill between there and town...I guess it depends how fit you are. The buses used to be quite good - I've not idea what they are like now though.

Just wondering if you have Newcomb muddled up with Leopold. Newcomb is just past the East Geelong Cemetery on the Queenscliff Road. Leopold is much further out on the Queenscliff Road - and the Leopold Hill is infamous

Mentioned Breakwater as the Gordon does have a campus there.

Eastern Beach is superb, but very expensive area to live.

Buses services in Geelong are now quite good.

Dalhousie
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:49 am
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice

Thanks so much for your replys!!
Really helps!! Highlighter pen on map, so will be more armed and dangerous when we get there!!
Oooh Alan! so happy the best agent on BE is in Geelong, will be tormenting you for our PR in 2 years hun!
I am doing Hairdressing in city campus, OH will be pimped out to highest bidder for 20 hrs a week, as well as having my dinner on table at 6 sharp!!
Only brave enough to type this as he sleeping, (night shift at Fire Station).
Cant wait to get over there now, Any recommends for a place to stay for a couple of weeks whilst house hunting?
Thanks again
Michele
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:54 am
Migration Agent

This place isn't a bad option ...
http://www.barwonvalleylodge.com.au/

Have a look at Google Map for more info.

See you soon!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:22 pm
MicheleandBarry

G'day Michele,

dalhousie
Wow! Thanks so much! really helpful cheers!
The house sharing prob a no no as we are 34 and 38, the house parties wont be a much much fun with a couple off oldies!!
Plus the OH has habits you have to love him to live with! ( Only kidding)
So looking forward to coming over now,
May i ask are you scottish by the way?
Michele
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:27 pm
MicheleandBarry

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
This place isn't a bad option ...
http://www.barwonvalleylodge.com.au/

Have a look at Google Map for more info.

See you soon!
Thanks a million Alan, it looks great for a initial rental, emailing them as soon as flights booked!
See you soon!
Michele
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if you have Newcomb muddled up with Leopold. Newcomb is just past the East Geelong Cemetery on the Queenscliff Road. Leopold is much further out on the Queenscliff Road - and the Leopold Hill is infamous

Mentioned Breakwater as the Gordon does have a campus there.

Eastern Beach is superb, but very expensive area to live.

Buses services in Geelong are now quite good.

Dalhousie
Nearly 20 years of living in Leopold....nope, not muddling it up.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Nearly 20 years of living in Leopold....nope, not muddling it up.
God, it's obvious that I don't bike ride to any great lenghths . I honestly have never noticed the hill at Newcomb into Geelong. I will have to take a bit more notice the next time I drive out that way. LOL

Cheers

Dalhousie
Old Jun 11th 2008, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MicheleandBarry
Wow! Thanks so much! really helpful cheers!
The house sharing prob a no no as we are 34 and 38, the house parties wont be a much much fun with a couple off oldies!!
Plus the OH has habits you have to love him to live with! ( Only kidding)
So looking forward to coming over now,
May i ask are you scottish by the way?
Michele
Yes Michele I was born in Ayr. but I have been living in Oz for over fifty years now. Most of it spent around the Geelong area.

All the best for your future, and I hope everything runs smoothly for your "flit"

dalhousie
Old Jun 11th 2008, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

God, it's obvious that I don't bike ride to any great lenghths . I honestly have never noticed the hill at Newcomb into Geelong. I will have to take a bit more notice the next time I drive out that way. LOL

Cheers

Dalhousie
LOL.

That's the thing....when you're on a bike, you notice these things...the little hill on the Princes Hwy that separates Newcomb from East Geelong is actually a bit horrendous to everyday people like me
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:15 am
Just Joined

bearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the roughbearstocats is a jewel in the rough

Hi Michele,
Have just joined the site and like you I'm starting college in Geelong at The Gordon Institute, Tafe hairdressing, I guess we'll be in the same class?!!!!
My name is Rachael and I'm from the Wirral and my husband is Keith and he's from Edinburgh, we have 2 kids, Matt (5) and Laura (10 months). We are planning to be in Geelong around January too, like you have been looking at places to live and I think it will be either Newtown or Geelong West, we've done a huge amount of research on areas.

Would be really good to hear from you! Are you currently in Scotland or England?!! We're in the wirral at the moment, I'm a qualified photogapher and mostly do wedding in Scotland, particularly Edinburgh castle, sadly Australia doesn;t need any more photographers so doing the hairdressing instead!!
Hopefully speak to you soon!
Rachael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.