Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places of interest - Melbourne to Sydney Road Trip

Places of interest - Melbourne to Sydney Road Trip

Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about
Default Places of interest - Melbourne to Sydney Road Trip

We're hiring a camper van for 7 days and plan to travel from Melbourne to Sydney and then back to Melbourne.

Any suggestions on places to check out or even stay for a night along the way?

Thanks
AL
Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:42 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Places of interest - Melbourne to Sydney Road Trip

Depends on which way you were thinking of going.

I would take a trip down to Wilsons Prom (maybe stay the night). Then head towards Lakes Entrance and Malacoota. I've never seen the stars as bright as on the road from the Princes' Hwy down to Malacoota. Not sure where to stay overnight on the NSW coast but it's worth visiting Tilba Tilba and maybe Eden. Maybe somone else can suggest more places along the NSW coast. On the way back I would go straight from Sydney to Canberra (and stay the night). You could do Canberra to Melbourne in one go (about 7.5 hours) or you could make one more stopover. I would avoid Benalla. If you've got time you could take a detour up the mountains.

I've not yet done it but I would like to try the Monaro Hwy from Canberra to Victoria (not quite sure where it enters Victoria).

Note that you're no allowed to bring fruit into the fruit fly exclusion zone. On the Hume Fwy, this is just after you enter Victoria.

Have a good trip.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with ML. Travel north along the coast and south via Canberra. Avoid the Hume Hwy as it's dead boring.

Lovely places along the NSW coast are Eden, Merimbula, Central Tilba (so cute!), Narooma, Jervis Bay, Kiama (blowhole), Berry (good cafes).

Make sure you stop at Pebbly Beach just north of Bateman's Bay. Kangaroos hang around the beach and zillions of parrots fly around.

Travelling south from Canberra, get onto the Alpine Way at Jindabyne and cut through the Snowy Mountains. The road is only open during the summer but it's very scenic (also goes past Tom Groggin station). You get back into Victoria near Corryong. Highly recommended trip.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:15 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
I'd agree with ML. Travel north along the coast and south via Canberra. Avoid the Hume Hwy as it's dead boring.
Avoid the Hume and you'd miss Dog on Tucker Box
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Avoid the Hume and you'd miss Dog on Tucker Box
Our friends from France stopped there on the way back from Sydney. They said they couldn't finish the food it was that disgusting. Is that normal?

Old Oct 21st 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Our friends from France stopped there on the way back from Sydney. They said they couldn't finish the food it was that disgusting. Is that normal?

Funnily enough we stopped there a couple of weeks ago on our way back from our recent trip.

I had the most disgusting pie ever in that place. We'd been all over the country to SA and Vic and through some real outback areas and the food was great everywhere we went. Get back to NSW and the the only place to stop on the Hume for miles around and it was foul.

Have to agree with your friends, here.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:35 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

I've not yet done it but I would like to try the Monaro Hwy from Canberra to Victoria (not quite sure where it enters Victoria).
i have done this trip and the scenery is fab in the snowy region. some of the roads can be a bit windey so you will not be able to do it in the same time you would along the Hume. i would recomend it if you have time but your trip is rather short. I like holidays where we drive for several hours each day of the beaten track. only time not to do it is when snow is forcast unless you are prepared for it.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

If you go to Canberra then I would recommend a tour of the old and/or new parliament buildings, a visit to the national museum and the deep space centre. It's worth talking a drive to the top of Mt Ainslie (sp?) which gives a great view over the city.

I think you have to be careful with Canberra, it's too easy to be put off by the new artificial city and miss the good bits.

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:39 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to Canberra then I would recommend a tour of the old and/or new parliament buildings, a visit to the national museum and the deep space centre. It's worth talking a drive to the top of Mt Ainslie (sp?) which gives a great view over the city.

I think you have to be careful with Canberra, it's too easy to be put off by the new artificial city and miss the good bits.

Blimey, I did all that yesterday apart from the museum / space centre. Must go back when we have more time as there does seem a fair bit to do. For some reason the city reminded me of Milton Keynes, wide streets, lakes etc.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Blimey, I did all that yesterday apart from the museum / space centre. Must go back when we have more time as there does seem a fair bit to do. For some reason the city reminded me of Milton Keynes, wide streets, lakes etc.
Sort of Milton Keynes meets Washington DC.

Another place we (especially the kids) really liked was Cockington Green up at Gold Creek Resort. There was a really good cafe just up from the Gold Creek Motel (hotel?) but I can't remember the name.

The Dinosaur Museum was a bit ordinary but not very expensive.

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:02 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

i quite enjoyed the national parks around Canberra, but not sure you will have time for this sort of thing. Yarrangobilly Caves was nice but takes a bit to get to them. i enjoyed swimming in the thermal pools.

of course their is also the wineries!!!!