Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to go...things to see

Places to go...things to see

Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:10 am
WBB

Default Places to go...things to see

where would you go if you had a free month in brisbane this april?

we will be validating from the first week in april and need some suggestions of places to visit, are there any seasonal things to be aware of, highlights and things to avoid?

we already know we will be spending a week on the gold coast and we will defo be visiting australia zoo but what else can we do to fill our month?

we will have a car so anything within a couple of hours drive of brisbane is OK.

over to you.

Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:13 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to go...things to see

Originally posted by WBB
If I had a month I'd head on down to Melbourne .
Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:18 am
WBB

Originally posted by HUP
If I had a month I'd head on down to Melbourne .
actually now you come to mention it, we were going to fly in to melbourne and take a slow drive up to brissy taking in the sites along the way, but with the kids it would probably be an absolute nightmare so melbourne is out.

Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by WBB

we will be validating from the first week in april and need some suggestions of places to visit, are there any seasonal things to be aware of, highlights and things to avoid?

we already know we will be spending a week on the gold coast and we will defo be visiting australia zoo but what else can we do to fill our month?

we will have a car so anything within a couple of hours drive of brisbane is OK.

over to you.
Heres a few Links for you to look at.

Most have been mentioned on here at some time in the past, i've just put them all together

You may also like to have a good look around at places to live, unless thats already organised

Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:23 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB
actually now you come to mention it, we were going to fly in to melbourne and take a slow drive up to brissy taking in the sites along the way, but with the kids it would probably be an absolute nightmare so melbourne is out.

It really depends on how much time you wanted to devote to the drive up. We drove from Melb to Sydney over 2 days with some beach and site seeing stops. I think our kids are slightly older though (6 and 9)

If you have a laptop with a DVD player then I would highly recommend that you bring it with an in car adapter. We did some long journeys in WA and it was a god send. You can also pick up in car DVD players quite cheap these days on ebay and the like.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:24 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by WBB
are there any seasonal things to be aware of, highlights and things to avoid?
Avoid the beaches, avoid the water, avoid the expats get-togethers, avoid the barbies, avoid the sights, avoid any cruises, avoid eating or drinking, especially the local brews....

Well, you NEVER listen to what I say, anyway!!!

Relax, Billy - that month will FLY past. There's far too much to take in during a mere month. Just concentrate on getting the flavour of the place, and make some contacts. See about the job market. Get yourself lined up so that you hit the ground running when you come out permanently.

Well, that's what I'd do, anyway, in your situation....
Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:55 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by WBB

over to you.
Gold Coast Hinterland: Springbrook, Mt Tamborine
Brisbane: City Mall et al
Brisbane: Port Office Hotel
Brisbane: The (Old Botanical) Gardens on the River
Brisbane: QUT
Brisbane: Southbank
Brisbane: Park Street, Milton
Brisbane: Racecourse Road, Ascot
Brisbane: Laurel Avenue, Chelmer
Brisbane: Mt Cootha (at night)
Brisbane: Woody Point – Redcliffe
Brisbane: Morgan’s Seafood, Scarborough
Sunshine Coast: Bribie Island (The Crab Pot – Woorim)
Sunshine Coast: The range drive Landsborough – Maleny - (backtrack to Mapleton) – Palmwoods – Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast: Peregian Beach – Coolum
Sunshine Coast: Noosa ($$$$$$$)
North: Lake Cootharaba, Tewantin, Cooloola, Coloured Sands, Great Sandy
NorthWest: Woodford, Kilcoy, Somerset Dam
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:38 am
WBB

cheers all, some things to chew over there.

any more offerings?

Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:55 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We really enjoyed the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Thats been our daughters highlight so far, every relative in england is in possession of a postcard of her cuddling one!!!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 8:35 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Billy, Floridas list & ABCs both cover alot of stuff (although I wouldnt expect visiting QUT t be the highlight of anyones overseas trip ) . My suggestion would be to take 2 or 3 days & go exploring Fraser Island or Cooloola National Park (coloured sands & inland as well). IMO, you cant get much better than that .

I have a heap of links somewhere, mainly things to see & do around Brisbane (like St Helena Island cruises, & the bus tour that takes you to the historic spots in Brisbane), I'll see if I can find them for you later if you like.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 8:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And don't forget the important bit of having a few beers with some of the locals.......
Old Mar 16th 2004, 8:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Heres some ideas & links that I sent to Deb that you might find interesting Billy.

In Brisbane itself there are things like Lone Pine koala santuary (wildlife park), a sights of Brisbane bus (City Sights, run by council), day trips to places like St Helena Island (penal settlement & later leper colony) or Stradbroke or Moreton Island, SouthBank Parklands, Paddlesteamer cruises up the river etc. There is a tour desk & tourist info right in the middle of Queen St Mall.

As for the Sunshine Coast, plenty of things to see & do. Try Montville, Malaney (villages), Underwater World, Big Pineapple, SuperBee, Forest Glen Deer santuary, take a trip up to Noosa for the day (make sure you go for a walk in Noosa National Park ), Cooloola National Park & Coloured Sands or Fraser Island (both my pick of all places to go, I spent a large part of my childhood there & my brother now has a house there ) , Eumundi Markets (Wed & Sats I think) .

Some links

Heritage Tours & Trips

Heritage Locations & places of interest

(those are both EXCELLENT sites with loads of information on Brisbane)

Montville Village

Maleny Tourism

Wynnum/Manly (My local area )

Tours and adventure in and around Brisbane

Sunshine Coast sightseeing & Attractions - there are a couple of Brisbane things in there as well.

Fraser Island & Cooloola tour - you can do these seperately with other tour operators

Choose your own Sunshine Coast Tourist attraction - this is a great site where you can tick what you are interested in & they will give you a list of attractions to suit your taste. Run by the Qld tourism board.

To see all the stuff in this thread you will need alot longer than a month .
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:03 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
although I wouldnt expect visiting QUT t be the highlight
No most would not but the QUT Cultural Precinct includes Gardens Theatre, QUT Art Museum and Old Government House. QUT also borders and is an integrated part the old Botanical Gardens as well as Parliament House. You would walk up through the gardens along the river then up through QUT and cross the river at the new footbridge that links QUT to southbank.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

if you can get to tincan bay i would def recommend it. you have to be there early morning about 8am but two wild dolphins swim in and stay in the bay. if you buy a tub of fish from the little shop for $2 you can wade into the water and feed them. our kids were 18months and 4 years and absolutely loved it. and its free.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:53 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Find a nice little internet cafe and post on Expats all day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.