British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A PLace in the Sun - Whats the point? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/place-sun-whats-point-686530/)

Davesax Sep 22nd 2010 3:57 pm

A PLace in the Sun - Whats the point?

I've recorded the series using sky plus and watched most of them .
Having lived the dream we are interested to watch them but are often left wondering how many of the families would actually get visas .

Some are looking for sponshership admittedly , but soem of them haven't even started the visa process if they were'nt to be offered sponsorship .In which case the houses they look at are pretty hyperthetical taking into the time it takes to get visas and the fluctuating house prices / exchange rate.
We watched an episode last night where both were peri music teachers - I don't remember seeing that on the skills shortage list ! In fact having worked as one in Aus , it's only the private schools you can work out anyway without being registered with Wacot, and you need to be qualified for that . Perhaps it's different in otehr states.

I enjoy the programme but can't help thinking it's more entertainment than reality - and that potential expats would get more helpful information looking at pretty pictures on google images .:D

ABCDiamond Sep 22nd 2010 10:41 pm

Re: A PLace in the Sun - Whats the point?

Originally Posted by Davesax (Post 8868377)
I enjoy the programme but can't help thinking it's more entertainment than reality -

You are right in your thinking :thumbup:

The similar program "Relocation - Phil Down under" requires their participants to adhere to this condition:

They must have secured approval from the FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board) without which they can’t buy property in Australia.
Presumably, this would be waived if they already had a visa.

Hutch Sep 23rd 2010 12:44 am

They're all a crock of shit - utterly futile TV shows that serve no purpose at all. If they genuinely wanted to help potential emigres then they'd do proper guides to the states, cities and areas and deal with cold hard facts.

moneypenny20 Sep 23rd 2010 3:17 am

It's a reality tv show with sunshine. Nothing more, nothing less.

fish.01 Sep 23rd 2010 11:14 am

I don't think British who are actually planning on moving to Australia are their target audience ;)

The Squire of Onchan Sep 23rd 2010 11:53 am

Yeah but Melissa Porter is definately worth a box of Kleenex ...

Davesax Sep 23rd 2010 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 8870299)
I don't think British who are actually planning on moving to Australia are their target audience ;)

Who are then?

I actually was refering to ' Wanted Down Under ' in my post not place in the sun. Muchthe same though.
We were on There's no Place Like Home , this was much the same too but at least we were in a real situation.

fish.01 Sep 24th 2010 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Davesax (Post 8871294)
Who are then?

I actually was refering to ' Wanted Down Under ' in my post not place in the sun. Muchthe same though.
We were on There's no Place Like Home , this was much the same too but at least we were in a real situation.

Just infotainment - so general audience sitting at home travelling no further than the fridge - doesn't matter if the facts are a bit dodgy to them :)

DeadVim Sep 24th 2010 1:32 am

Much like the cookery programmes where the people that watch them are actually less likely to cook.

It's all aspirational entertainment innit? Or hoping people fall on their face so we can laugh.

saintstu Oct 3rd 2010 12:33 am

I've actually been watching Wanted Down Under, Phil Down Under and A Place in the Sun to try and find out as much as possible about Perth before I move there.

I have to agree that the WDU format is absolutely crap, but it has at least shown me some snippets of my future home town.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Oct 3rd 2010 12:51 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8869198)
Presumably, this would be waived if they already had a visa.

People on 457's need FIRB approval before they can buy.

DeadVim Oct 3rd 2010 12:59 am

Originally Posted by The Squire of Onchan (Post 8870357)
Yeah but Melissa Porter is definately worth a box of Kleenex ...

Doesn't stir my loins but I bet she makes a cracking lasagne ...
http://www.tullavision.com/images/MelissaPorter.jpg

BadgeIsBack Oct 3rd 2010 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 8869369)
They're all a crock of shit - utterly futile TV shows that serve no purpose at all. If they genuinely wanted to help potential emigres then they'd do proper guides to the states, cities and areas and deal with cold hard facts.

The worst thing about these programs are the way the production team take advantage of families and make them look even more than a bunch of losers than they already are. The most vulnerable are taken advantage of.

It's a standard recipe. Can you imagine the awkwardness if a family actually were reasonably intelligent, incisive, informed and presented better than the presenter - they would not have a programme.

expatasia Oct 3rd 2010 2:19 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8892158)
The worst thing about these programs are the way the production team take advantage of families and make them look even more than a bunch of losers than they already are. The most vulnerable are taken advantage of.

It's a standard recipe. Can you imagine the awkwardness if a family actually were reasonably intelligent, incisive, informed and presented better than the presenter - they would not have a programme.

To make up for this what do the families get paid, anybody know? Lamingtons & VB?

Dorothy Oct 3rd 2010 4:16 am

Originally Posted by saintstu (Post 8892081)
I've actually been watching Wanted Down Under, Phil Down Under and A Place in the Sun to try and find out as much as possible about Perth before I move there.

I have to agree that the WDU format is absolutely crap, but it has at least shown me some snippets of my future home town.

I wouldn't use shows such as this for information about Perth. They're only likely to show you the pretty tourist places and completely skip the reality of day to day life here in the city. I've never seen these programmes, so can't be 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain they don't show the less attractive side of Perth.

Use it for what it's meant for. Entertainment value only.