Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A place in the Sun/ Get a New Life

Wikiposts

A place in the Sun/ Get a New Life

Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kittenlips
So does anyone know what the houses are like in Adelaide? Are they characterless aswell?

Theresa
I'd find it hard if there wasn't a sense of community; although Portsmouth is pretty drab, I know quite a few of the people in our street and we're always chatting to the neighbours - in fact, next door is probably one of my best friends now. Our two daughters play with each other a lot and in the summer we sit out, chatting 'till all hours. The estate featured on TV looked clean enough etc. but there didn't seem to be anyone around!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:21 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
I'd find it hard if there wasn't a sense of community; although Portsmouth is pretty drab, I know quite a few of the people in our street and we're always chatting to the neighbours - in fact, next door is probably one of my best friends now. Our two daughters play with each other a lot and in the summer we sit out, chatting 'till all hours. The estate featured on TV looked clean enough etc. but there didn't seem to be anyone around!

Have you always lived in Pompey Larissa?? we moved here 16 years ago (married a matelot) But it wasn't until our eldest started school 10 years ago that we made any 'real' friends. I found people here really hard work. Talk to someone at the bus stop in Pompey and they'll look at you like you've just escaped from the loony bin!!.......well that's been my experience anyway
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

No- we both came to uni here and stayed on. Perhaps it's just friendly where we're living as the houses have low fences etc. so people chat in the gardens. Don't think I've really chatted to people at bus-stops though - so perhaps it is unfriendly in that respect.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:45 am
Testing

Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A place in the Sun/ Get a New Life

I thought all the Get a New Life programs have been pretty bad. In each case they have done something stupid. Why send them off to Brisbane at the worst time of year? No school for the kids, christmas the worst time to be away from family...

For the Cayman Islands one, why send them there without a work permit? Why pick a couple for Italy who know no italian at all? In all cases, why pick people who have no savings?

Paul

Originally posted by badgersmount
Well it looked great!

In the first programme, I was surprised to see how cheap houses were as we are all led to believe they are millions - but of course, this is in the tropics up near Daintree etc not the Sunshine/ Gold coasts...and the programme was probably made a year ago. eg GBP115-150k for 4-5 bed homes on 1/4 acre blocks (min)

the women was funny - all she could say was

"Great"! "Fantastic" - made the presenter look quiet/ subdued by comparison.

She also wore exactly the same dress for the entire programme.

In the second programme, Brissy suburbs looked like a load of housing estates, I can see why Dotty et al are fed up. The place looked too new. Too sterile. And that mullet!!! And they said he was on a working holiday?? - he'll have to apply for an onshore PR visa - assuming he gets a TR.

Where my family live, in NSW and VIC places look like they have far more character. Same houses but in winding roads. etc. hills.
Based on how the places looked in Brissy if I had never been to Australia I would be put off!

Badgers