Reload this Page >

A place in the Sun/ Get a New Life

Wikiposts

A place in the Sun/ Get a New Life

Old Sep 24th 2003, 6:53 am
Badge

Default A place in the Sun/ Get a New Life

Well it looked great!

In the first programme, I was surprised to see how cheap houses were as we are all led to believe they are millions - but of course, this is in the tropics up near Daintree etc not the Sunshine/ Gold coasts...and the programme was probably made a year ago. eg GBP115-150k for 4-5 bed homes on 1/4 acre blocks (min)

the women was funny - all she could say was

"Great"! "Fantastic" - made the presenter look quiet/ subdued by comparison.

She also wore exactly the same dress for the entire programme.

In the second programme, Brissy suburbs looked like a load of housing estates, I can see why Dotty et al are fed up. The place looked too new. Too sterile. And that mullet!!! And they said he was on a working holiday?? - he'll have to apply for an onshore PR visa - assuming he gets a TR.

Where my family live, in NSW and VIC places look like they have far more character. Same houses but in winding roads. etc. hills.
Based on how the places looked in Brissy if I had never been to Australia I would be put off!

Badgers

Old Sep 24th 2003, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Spoilsport i haven`t seen it yet !! Place in the Sun that is, i saw the Brissie thing the first time around.

footie chick
Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:00 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A place in the Sun/ Get a New Life

Originally posted by badgersmount
Well it looked great!

In the first programme, I was surprised to see how cheap houses were as we are all led to believe they are millions - but of course, this is in the tropics up near Daintree etc not the Sunshine/ Gold coasts...and the programme was probably made a year ago. eg GBP115-150k for 4-5 bed homes on 1/4 acre blocks (min)

the women was funny - all she could say was

"Great"! "Fantastic" - made the presenter look quiet/ subdued by comparison.

She also wore exactly the same dress for the entire programme.

In the second programme, Brissy suburbs looked like a load of housing estates, I can see why Dotty et al are fed up. The place looked too new. Too sterile. And that mullet!!! And they said he was on a working holiday?? - he'll have to apply for an onshore PR visa - assuming he gets a TR.

Where my family live, in NSW and VIC places look like they have far more character. Same houses but in winding roads. etc. hills.
Based on how the places looked in Brissy if I had never been to Australia I would be put off!

Badgers
When we went to look at Melbourne at Easter with a view to finding somewhere to live, we were put off by how characterless the suburbs and commuter towns were, so we're off to Brisbane instead. We loved the city of Melbourne, just not the residential areas. Each to his own, I suppose.

Jane
Badge

the Brissy programme was quite poor really. Thought that the first time I saw it.

The presenters are a bit tabloid too.

BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I did feel quite sorry for her, she missed her parent terribly. 4 weeks isn't enough time to decide if they want to stay. I didn't like the house much either, a bit too box like for me with no character.

Not all brisbane is like that though. I really thought they'd go home but I'm glad they never. It's a bit scary knowing that its going to be you soon, going through all that emotional stuff, I nearly cried when they were saying goodbye to their parents, I'm sure I will cry for weeks before, on the plane, and when we get here (yes, I cry as Lassie and Eastenders)!!

Mandy
Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

haven't seen either yet as I've only just got home from work, but I remember watching the Brissie one the first time round.
Have to admit that they really didn't portray Brisbane at its best - only showing bits of Redcliffe (Ceri calls it Deadcliffe) and then some of the less interesting suburbs. theres far more to Brissie than that, and I didn't really recognise it! I can't understand why they didn't have more to do, and didn't find it easier to make friends - maybe they were just a little unsure of themselves. I've always found Queenslanders very very welcoming, and they love to help you find your feet.
Also, as you say, the house was a bit of a box - some of the modern houses are, just like they are here, but there are also soooo many beautiful older houses - my dream is to live in a proper Queenslander - ah, maybe one day!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I thought it actually looked quite nice!! The house was awful that they stayed in but the
Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:42 am
Badge

I wonder if they will do a programme on British Expats - called "Get a Life?".

I can see it now.

"So are you going to continue with your internet connection Sarah? Sarah?"

"Err..what was that - I'm busy!" Cue credits..

badge

Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I thought it actually looked quite nice, the location not the estates. The house was awful that they stayed in but the city looked fab and I liked the look of the shopping centre!!It did look very built up though.

That guy was born to be an Aussie he had the haircut, attitude etc. I hope we adapt to it all as well as he did.

Still haven't sen Place in the Sun, taped the wrong side -oops. Luckily my Mum videoed it so I will have to wait until the weekend.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The 2nd house they looked at (Daintree Rainforest) was stunning, but way off the beaten track. They do have some really nice hardwoods over there.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

The housing estate thing aurrounds all the major cities. It started in Sydney and Melb and has spread up here. Interestingly the mass produced McMansions which started in Syd are totally the wrong design for Brisbane, end up being boiling. Badgers if you did not see these horrid estates in Syd and Melb you were lucky they are well and truly there.

As for cheap houses in the Daintree, super cheap and its only a 25 hour drive to Brisbane plus the temps are similar to the Amazon jungle, still if you like very pretty hot jungles and long drives its probably ideal, IT jobs may be a worry tho :scared:

Price here reflects Climate, distance to facilities, distance to other major centres and distance to the CBD, beach, water views, or canals add too. Beachfront dream, demolishable shack sold for 3.5 million in Caloundra last week.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Houseing estates in Australia are no different from the houseing estates being built in London, Birmingham or anywhere else in the UK. Maybe some of them use different materials but photos of the houses in close up or panoramic views of the estate would be generally indistinguishable from the same sort of estates in the Uk.
If you want lifestyle was in Maleny the other week (SC hinterland) and saw advertisement for lifestyle property 2.5 acres with 3Bdm house $250,000 10 kms away. Which would make it 20kms from coast and about 120kms from Brisbane. I didn't see the property and expect it's a wreck, but you don't need to spend $500,000 on a tiny section if you just move out a bit.
This wasn't the only property either their were quite a few.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:49 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A place in the Sun/ Get a New Life

Originally posted by badgersmount
. And that mullet!!! !

Badgers

perhaps his mullet is the reason hairdressers are on the occupations in demand list?

sue :scared:
Old Sep 24th 2003, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

i missed it ,is it on again?
donna
Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:52 pm
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

So does anyone know what the houses are like in Adelaide? Are they characterless aswell?

Theresa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.