British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A Place in the Sun (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/place-sun-112907/)

clairelevy Oct 14th 2002 1:09 pm

A Place in the Sun

I work on a Channel 4 TV series called 'A Place in the Sun'. The programme features British property buyers looking to buy holiday homes and relocations all over the world. I'm currently planning our new series, to be filmed this winter (Before Christmas) and we are due to be making three shows on the East Coast of Australia.

Not only do we bring UK buyers over and show them the best properties in a
given region, we also feature the area itself and promote it to British
viewers. On average we have 3 million viewers per programme. The series has
been running for three years.

Unfortunately one of our couples has dropped out. We were due to be taking them to the coastal area, around Ballina and Yamba (south of Brisbane).

I’m very keen to find more people interested in taking part who are planning to move permanently to Australia, due to the regulations regarding acquisition of property by foreigners on a visitor’s visa.

Please contact me at the address below for more details if you are interested in taking part.

Best,

Claire

mashiraz Oct 14th 2002 1:26 pm

Re: A Place in the Sun

What a fantastic opportunity...Unfortunately I'm still in grim UK, may be next year you can look at South Australia?
Good Luck with the program.
mashiraz...
:D

Unfortunately one of our couples has dropped out. We were due to be taking them to the coastal area, around Ballina and Yamba (south of Brisbane).

I’m very keen to find more people interested in taking part who are planning to move permanently to Australia, due to the regulations regarding acquisition of property by foreigners on a visitor’s visa.

Please contact me at the address below for more details if you are interested in taking part.

Best,

Claire

Grub Oct 14th 2002 3:55 pm

Hi Clare

I think it will be difficult on this site as not many people seem to be heading there. Alternatively do a search under Brisbane.

If you want to do Perth, then i am up for it!

Jamesy Oct 14th 2002 5:34 pm

Originally posted by clairelevy:
I work on a Channel 4 TV series called 'A Place in the Sun'. The programme features British property buyers looking to buy holiday homes and relocations all over the world. I'm currently planning our new series, to be filmed this winter (Before Christmas) and we are due to be making three shows on the East Coast of Australia.

Best,

Claire

Hi Claire

We are very interested in the Brisbane area and have seen the programme on Channel 4. We are planning to move to Oz as soon as our visas are through, which should be around May next year. Have been looking at some properties on the internet and we are amazed at what you can buy!

Nic n Rob

Black Sheep Oct 14th 2002 6:48 pm

I work on a Channel 4 TV series called 'A Place in the Sun'. The programme features British property buyers looking to buy holiday homes and relocations all over the world.

Well well, what do you know! We're not buying in Brisbane, but 2 years ago we were visiting France from the States looking to buy a small place there. There was one property advertised on the internet that had really caught my fancy, looked great in the photos, etc etc. We made an appointment to see it & drove the 3 or 4 hours journey from where we were staying, finally arriving in a bad way, with me feeling quite sick (didn't know I was pregnant) and all of us quite desperate to use 'the facilities'.

Well, the British owner rushed over to our car and informed us that we'd have to move along up the lane as a British film crew was filming some British family looking over his property, something to do with a British TV show about buying homes abroad. Hey, this was his big moment of fame, and he sure as heck wasn't going to let US spoil it, full bladders and appointment or not! Hilarious in hind sight, but not so funny at the time as we urgently sought out a suitable get-the-job-done spot en plein air that was also out of sight of the camera.

Ages and ages later, the film crew was done, but by then, bien sur, the owner had an appointment elsewhere and didn't have time to give us more than a 5-minute showing. Turned out to be long enough though to figure out that not only wasn't it as nice as advertised, but also, well, after all that it didn't even HAVE a toilet at the moment - the owner 'went' outdoors.

Funny little world Claire, non?

TA

Dbm Oct 14th 2002 10:30 pm

This area is a loooong commute from Brisbane.

Bill
"Jamesy" wrote in message
news:443368.1034616856@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by clairelevy:
    > > I work on a Channel 4 TV series called 'A Place in the Sun'. The
    > > programme features British property buyers looking to buy holiday
    > > homes and relocations all over the world. I'm currently planning our
    > > new series, to be filmed this winter (Before Christmas) and we are due
    > > to be making three shows on the East Coast of Australia.
    > >
    > > Not only do we bring UK buyers over and show them the best properties
    > > in a
    > > given region, we also feature the area itself and promote it to
    > > British
    > > viewers. On average we have 3 million viewers per programme. The
    > > series has
    > > been running for three years.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately one of our couples has dropped out. We were due to be
    > > taking them to the coastal area, around Ballina and Yamba (south of
    > > Brisbane).
    > >
    > > I'm very keen to find more people interested in taking part who are
    > > planning to move permanently to Australia, due to the regulations
    > > regarding acquisition of property by foreigners on a visitor's visa.
    > >
    > > Please contact me at the address below for more details if you are
    > > interested in taking part.
    > >
    > > Best,
    > >
    > Claire Hi Claire
    > We are very interested in the Brisbane area and have seen the programme
    > on Channel 4. We are planning to move to Oz as soon as our visas are
    > through, which should be around May next year. Have been looking at
    > some properties on the internet and we are amazed at what you can buy!
    > Nic n Rob
    > --
    > Jamesy
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Ceri Oct 15th 2002 5:03 am

Best,

Claire

Hi,
Ballina, and Yamba are in Northern NSW ,yes it's south of Brisbane, but not South Brisbane if you know what I mean,... it's over the border in New South Wales... a good few hours drive.

cheers:)

Chris Oct 15th 2002 7:33 am

"Jamesy" wrote in message
news:443368.1034616856@britishexpats-
.com
    > >
    > > Unfortunately one of our couples has dropped out. We were due to be
    > > taking them to the coastal area, around Ballina and Yamba (south of
    > > Brisbane).
    > >
    > Claire Hi Claire
    > We are very interested in the Brisbane area and have seen the programme
    > on Channel 4. We are planning to move to Oz as soon as our visas are
    > through, which should be around May next year. Have been looking at
    > some properties on the internet and we are amazed at what you can buy!

Yamba is about 4 hours drive south of Brisbane. In other words, it's no
where near the place.

Chris

> Nic n Rob
    > --
    > Jamesy
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

sue5665 Oct 15th 2002 10:46 am

'A place in the sun'

Hi my name is Sue (37) hubby Dave(42) & 2 boys (10&9) and we live in Cornwall.
We have got our visa's and have to get to Oz before 29th April 2003, we are ready to go as soon as our house sells, we were thinking of Adelaide but would like to look at Brisbane so being part of your program would interest us.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Sue

clairelevy Oct 15th 2002 11:14 am

Originally posted by sue5665:
'A place in the sun'

We have got our visa's and have to get to Oz before 29th April 2003, we are ready to go as soon as our house sells, we were thinking of Adelaide but would like to look at Brisbane so being part of your program would interest us.
Sue

Hi Sue - if you would like to know more please send me your phone number and I or a colleague will give you a call.

Best,

Claire

mashiraz Oct 15th 2002 12:11 pm

Looking forward to seeing you on TV Sue, perhaps not in Adelaide after all....

Mash...
:D ;)

Originally posted by sue5665:
'A place in the sun'

Sue

Al Oct 15th 2002 12:24 pm

Hello Claire,

My fiancee and I are going to be heading for OZ in the new year,
without prejudice we are going to look at lots of cities to see what
we like. We would obviously love to feature in the prog however will
not be realistically buying for a year or so.

Just out of interest have you thought of using the programme to
compare regions in a country...rather thatn focus on a specific area.
There are loads of posts here about people not sure whether its
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth for them.

Such a programme would make fascinating viewing!

Alex

Rob Oct 15th 2002 12:55 pm

In Al wrote:

> Just out of interest have you thought of using the programme to
    > compare regions in a country...rather thatn focus on a specific area.

I think that's another programme altogether. I've seen most
episodes of A Place in the Sun (*), and it'd be a hell of a change
in format to start comparing distant regions.

(*) It was watching this programme that kinda got me serious about
leaving the UK in search of a better quality of life.

I'm heading for South Australia, but would gladly move to this
place in QLD if you'd promise I could keep Amanda Lamb at the
end of the show ;-)

Brutti Oct 15th 2002 1:21 pm

Hi Clare

Having lived in London for 10 years, (we are originally from Zimbabwe) my (pregnant) wife & I have our resident permits and we are immigrating to Australia in Dec - we booked our tickets for 22 Dec.

I have been looking at properties on the web as we are looking to live on a property with 5 acres (we are hoping to have horses at some stage). As my wife is due at the end of February '03 we are VERY keen to find a property before then so we can setup nursey etc etc...

I guess this sounds great for your program except we are due to Migrate to Perth.

If you choose to swap to the other side of Oz, drop me a line...

Regards
Nico - [email protected]

baldbutts Oct 15th 2002 8:27 pm

Can't help I'm afraid,unless you need volunteers for a programme about waxed arsed sparkies who've spent 3 years to get a visa,and when it finally comes,can't sell their house.Oh,and I'm easy when it comes to the casting couch.

Thankyou Daaaarrrlings. Baldy