Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

place to live near melbourne

place to live near melbourne

Old May 27th 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future
Default place to live near melbourne

hello everyone,

I have just landed a job in Bourke Street in the CBD and will be moving as soon as my 457 visa comes through. I need advice on areas to live which are up to around 45 minutes to get into work but ideally are a little out in the suburbs / sticks / even a bit countrfied if possible? we have a small dog we are brigning and are hikers and rock climbers so near werribee seems ok? Is it possible for me to get into work each day using public transport ? Any suggestions welcomed.....

thanks...
Old May 27th 2008, 8:34 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: place to live near melbourne

Originally Posted by clairemoir
hello everyone,

I have just landed a job in Bourke Street in the CBD and will be moving as soon as my 457 visa comes through. I need advice on areas to live which are up to around 45 minutes to get into work but ideally are a little out in the suburbs / sticks / even a bit countrfied if possible? we have a small dog we are brigning and are hikers and rock climbers so near werribee seems ok? Is it possible for me to get into work each day using public transport ? Any suggestions welcomed.....

thanks...
Hi Claire

It is perfectly possible to travel each day using public transport.

Most of Melbourne lives in the East and South East of the city, this means that the suburbs in the West like Werribee are closer in while being on the edge of the city than their equivalents in the East.

Other areas for you to consider should definitely be places like Ferntree Gully and Eltham and their surrounds. They are almost semi-rural, larger blocks and more trees etc. Although in Melbourne, even the inner suburbs are very leafy!

There are a lot of Melbourne posters on here to give you more info about those areas.

Good luck with your journey, Melbourne is a very beautiful city, and working in Bourke Street will be great for a CBD experience. Will you be working for NAB by any chance?

Buzzy
Old May 27th 2008, 10:50 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: place to live near melbourne

hello everyone,

thanks...
Take a peek at Sunbury Claire. It's semi rural and has a country feel but is really well serviced by shops and even has it's own cinema and is just 10-15 mins drive from nearest large shopping mall. Although is a bit out by car, it's on the Vline so it's a quick train journey into the CBD. We've got friends who live there and they can't rate it highly enough.
Old May 27th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not set on the West, take a look at the villages around the Dandenong Ranges - very beautiful. Search www.realestate.com.au for Upper Ferntree Gully, Upwey, Tecoma, The Basin and you will get a feel for the surroundings.
Old May 28th 2008, 3:34 am
Now a Citizen. YAY!

Ron888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: place to live near melbourne

Hi Claire,

For inner city suburbs with a leafy / suburban aspect, check out South Yarra and Prahran. A bit further out will be Malvern. Its hard but not impossible to get a house witha a yard in these areas that allow dogs. I used to have a small dog and was able to find a place in Prahran.

Good luck and welcome to Melbourne

Cheers,
Ron

hello everyone,

thanks...
Old May 28th 2008, 5:51 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

In which end of Bourke Street will you be working, Claire?

Southern Cross station (formerly known as Spencer Street station) is at the western end of Bourke Street, and is the terminus for trains from the western side of Melbourne (including Werribee, Geelong, etc). A walk from the Spencer Street end of Bourke Street to the Spring Street end would take some 20 to 30 minutes.

Best regards.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Claire

It is perfectly possible to travel each day using public transport.

Most of Melbourne lives in the East and South East of the city, this means that the suburbs in the West like Werribee are closer in while being on the edge of the city than their equivalents in the East.

Other areas for you to consider should definitely be places like Ferntree Gully and Eltham and their surrounds. They are almost semi-rural, larger blocks and more trees etc. Although in Melbourne, even the inner suburbs are very leafy!

There are a lot of Melbourne posters on here to give you more info about those areas.

Good luck with your journey, Melbourne is a very beautiful city, and working in Bourke Street will be great for a CBD experience. Will you be working for NAB by any chance?

Buzzy
Hi Buzzy,

Thanks so much for the reply and excelletn advice! I am going to work for Michael Page - a recruitment company! Its really exciting and a big change as I currently live in Devon and work for a small independant recruitment agency!

claire
Old May 28th 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
In which end of Bourke Street will you be working, Claire?

Southern Cross station (formerly known as Spencer Street station) is at the western end of Bourke Street, and is the terminus for trains from the western side of Melbourne (including Werribee, Geelong, etc). A walk from the Spencer Street end of Bourke Street to the Spring Street end would take some 20 to 30 minutes.

Best regards.
hi,

well its for a company called Michael Page based at 600 Bourke Street?
Old May 28th 2008, 11:01 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I know the building - it is about a 5 minutes walk from Southern Cross station. Probably 10 minutes from Flinders Street station - trains from the SE suburbs come into Flinders Street.

Maybe look at the V/Line website for details of travel times into Southern Cross:
http://www.vline.com.au/index.aspx?sid=0

Also Metlink: http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

Best regards.
Old May 28th 2008, 11:48 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I know the building
Every accountant in Melbourne does

Hi Claire

Budget will define your ideal location. Most of the other guys and girls in the office will have some good local info as well.

South Yarra/Richmond are the closet via train stations - the next stops outwards are Armadale/Toorak/Malvern - all Zone 1.

Shane
Old May 28th 2008, 10:37 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
South Yarra/Richmond are the closet via train stations - the next stops outwards are Armadale/Toorak/Malvern - all Zone 1.

Shane
There's more than 1 direction though Shane
Old May 29th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by herrchook
...not really any others worth going in, though.

(i am a SY boy)
Old May 29th 2008, 6:52 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
...not really any others worth going in, though.

(i am a SY boy)
Lots of different directions, lots of lovely places, and people to meet
Old May 29th 2008, 6:58 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
But only one right way