British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A place downunder - where are they all now? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/place-downunder-where-they-all-now-451209/)

mick and beck May 18th 2007 3:44 pm

Re: A place downunder - where are they all now?

Originally Posted by mattyuk (Post 4798330)
what and where is the update forum? soz quite new to this site...
cheers
matt

Hi Matt,

The update forum is a sub forum, you'll see it at the top of the main oz discussion page with other forums like the barbie, meet ups and immigration.
People who've been in oz for a while just post to say how they are getting on, really good to read as you can pick up hints and tips off them. Beck :)

NickyC May 18th 2007 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield (Post 4798555)
Hi
I agree with you - that Russell woman was vile and horrible - i think he had a very lucky escape - her and her kids were ignorant and arrogant - i was hoping she'd got deported coz it seemed she only used him to get over there - hopefully he (was he called Michael) will be with someone who treats him at lot better than they did - now that wouldnt be very hard would it.
Sam

You don't know half of it. Don't be fooled into thinking you know these people or the true story. The real story of the Russells was nothing like that portrayed - frankly she was lucky to be rid of him.

I wish her well - glad she's still here and happy now.

Scrawni 2 May 18th 2007 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by emmyjc1 (Post 4797984)
The singletons are in Oxenford all good :)

Which ones were these?

curly May 18th 2007 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 4798677)
Which ones were these?

Lorraine, the one with the 4th husband and 2 kids. They've all got their citizenship now.

Bonnybute May 18th 2007 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 4798590)
You don't know half of it. Don't be fooled into thinking you know these people or the true story. The real story of the Russells was nothing like that portrayed - frankly she was lucky to be rid of him.

I wish her well - glad she's still here and happy now.

so tell us?

herrchook May 18th 2007 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bonnybute (Post 4798965)
so tell us?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was allegedly having an affair whilst the show was being filmed:huh:

Bonnybute May 18th 2007 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 4799004)
I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was allegedly having an affair whilst the show was being filmed:huh:

Yeah, but my point is, the family would not have been aware of this at the time of filming..... and you can see clearly Micheal, being treated like scum, and it wasn't pretty to watch, it was vile.... and it did them, themselves, no favours, it made them appear like real nasty people...... :thumbdown:

a real shame, because her parents, looked like such lovely people, but the daughter, I'm speechless, and lost for words to describe that girl's behaviour.

and how could anyone on here 'know' he was having an affair, when watching, did the producers issue a statement??? :confused: no..

so.. we cannot be blamed, for creating an impression on the basis of what we were shown on the tv show.. can we?

emmyjc1 May 18th 2007 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by curly (Post 4798740)
Lorraine, the one with the 4th husband and 2 kids. They've all got their citizenship now.

Yes thats right

Bonnybute May 18th 2007 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by emmyjc1 (Post 4799221)
Yes thats right

that's great, I loved her, she was so warm, and giving, and landed her dream job didn't she :thumbsup:

emmyjc1 May 18th 2007 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bonnybute (Post 4799291)
that's great, I loved her, she was so warm, and giving, and landed her dream job didn't she :thumbsup:

Yes she still there according to my mum!

s-jmelbournewannabe May 18th 2007 7:15 pm

The singletons, She's soo nice, very streetwise family... The son is a really nice caring lad and the daughter is like most girls her age.. good family.. only on the 5th episode here so early days, didnt see it on sky...???

I think Michael looked a right tit, the g/friend, daughter and son were a bit of a nightmare, but didnt deserve that.!

Vorsters, fantastic family again, glad he's now happy, the kids defo look happy...

As for the family in perth, the mom, Just Flippin go home!!!! Why come to Oz just to slag it off contantly, how common!!!:rofl:

Well thats my opinion anyway........... :p S-j x

fnord May 18th 2007 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bonnybute (Post 4799048)
Yeah, but my point is, the family would not have been aware of this at the time of filming..... and you can see clearly Micheal, being treated like scum, and it wasn't pretty to watch, it was vile.... and it did them, themselves, no favours, it made them appear like real nasty people...... :thumbdown:

I had always felt there was something not quite right about the relationship as presented. Something suggested he was a bit "passive-aggressive". But who really knows; TV can be edited in all manner of ways to make the good guys look bad and vice versa.

Here's Rachel's side of the story which appears to suggest they were aware of his affair and it wasn't the first.

Des May 18th 2007 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by fnord (Post 4799502)
I had always felt there was something not quite right about the relationship as presented. Something suggested he was a bit "passive-aggressive". But who really knows; TV can be edited in all manner of ways to make the good guys look bad and vice versa.

Here's Rachel's side of the story which appears to suggest they were aware of his affair and it wasn't the first.

Thanks for that rachels story it gives a good insight into the programme

glittababe May 19th 2007 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Des (Post 4800531)
Thanks for that rachels story it gives a good insight into the programme

Very interesting. It would be nice if the BBC had a website dedicated to them for reg updates and general info on moving to oz.

Pollyana May 19th 2007 12:19 am

Remember all these families had their experiences heavily edited to portray them as the TV producers requires, in other words to make good TV.
As you can see from threads about other programmes the reality is often completely different from that portrayed in series.