Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pipe fitters work w.a. or qld?whats best option

pipe fitters work w.a. or qld?whats best option

Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default pipe fitters work w.a. or qld?whats best option

I got my visa over a month ago,but not planning on moving for about a year or so,maybe sooner or later who knows,just when i feel ready and when the house market gets better etc.
I have been searching agency websites for the past few months to get a database and names of agencys and companies that deal or look for my trade,so when i am there or just before i get there i can contact or send a c.v.
I was puzzled in where to head qld or perth,in my head i wanted qld in a way as there is more to do and see i suppose in qld and all other states are not to far away too,compared to perth.
But i do have relatives in perth,which i dont have in qld,not that it matters a lot but usefull if i was feeling a bit lonely as be going myself.
But is qld going through a busy spell,boom at this time or much the same each year,as on the jobs i been printing off,there seems to be more of my work there compared to perth.
I am very surprised at that as i always been told that perth was the best option and bet to take in my work,i am a pipe fitter and have worked in the oil and gas industry since the age of 19 both on site and on the rigs.
Perth i thought was ideal and im told is my best option,but as its so far away from the rest of oz,i dont want to be there and get bored after a while,But going to qld i would not want to end up having to travel to perth all the time as all the work was there be pointless.
Anyone in the same boat,industry and where did you go and why?
Ok there maybe times i need to fifo for work and travel to other states to work etc,but ideally i want to enjoy and like where i live also,i been all over oz back in 2004 and know what both states are like and to be honest i like both,but i suppose work is important and plenty of it too.
But i thought w.a. would have had more jobs,than qld in my trade?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:55 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of
Default Re: pipe fitters work w.a. or qld?whats best option

There is more offshore work in WA, and a lot of companies do not pay for interstate travel.

However, i know a few blokes that travel from the Eastern States to the north west shelf.

On the plus side, there are a number of large construction projects about to start namely Apaches Devils Creek, Chevrons Gorgon project, and I'm pretty sure there's a couple of FPSOs in the area.

what may be an idea, is to land in Perth and set yourself up with work, then move over east once your established.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Re: pipe fitters work w.a. or qld?whats best option

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
There is more offshore work in WA, and a lot of companies do not pay for interstate travel.

However, i know a few blokes that travel from the Eastern States to the north west shelf.

On the plus side, there are a number of large construction projects about to start namely Apaches Devils Creek, Chevrons Gorgon project, and I'm pretty sure there's a couple of FPSOs in the area.

what may be an idea, is to land in Perth and set yourself up with work, then move over east once your established.
Yes your probably right,but moving over from the uk you want to go to a place and just settle,instead of moving around,if i sell my household items then no worries,but if i ship a container over then if i did go to perth then over to east coast i would need to ship again,and that would be im sure expensive,im sure i read it was almost as expensive as from sending from uk,would that be right?
Maybe i should stick to what i been thinking about for past months of perth,but qld has always been another place high in my list.
I just worry staying in perth i will get bored of living there,compared to east coast.
When i was in in oz 2004 traveling i think i was in perth there winter time,it was not to bad weather,whats it been like these past years in winter,how warm is it and cold,and how has the summers been too.