Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pink Slips, Blue Slips, Green Slips.........help?

Pink Slips, Blue Slips, Green Slips.........help?

Old May 24th 2005, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

easygroove is on a distinguished road
Default Pink Slips, Blue Slips, Green Slips.........help?

We've just bought a car in Sydney from a dealer. I'm a little confused about the green slip, pink slip and rego process. I think i'm right in saying that the green slip is something different to a car insurance policy, they are two separate things

The car has rego until October 2005.

I know we need to arrnage insurance before we collect the car on Sat and i have a few quotes sorted out. I also know that there is state tax to pay within 14 days of taking ownership.

Does the green slip come with the car or do i have to buy it? If the car has rego will the dealership give me the green slip? I think i need the green slip to take to the RTA to pay the tax.

Do i need any other 'slips' to be sorted out before picking the car up?

In short, i think i need to pay the deposit, arrange insurance and show the certificate before i can drive the car away. Or have i forgotten something?

Thanks for any advice
Old May 24th 2005, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

SnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pink Slips, Blue Slips, Green Slips.........help?

Hi
I've just waded through all this myself as a first time buyer. This is my take on it;
Green Slip; Paid yearly with the rego, and transfers with the rego. So if your car has rego until Oct, the green slip (CTP) will also be valid until then. You then have to renew it to get your rego renewed annually.
Pink Slips; equivalent to an MOT. I think if you are buying a over 3 yrs old it must have a pink slip that has been issued in the previous 4 weeks.
Black Slip; MOT / inspection failure. Can also be issued by the police roadside if they stop and inspect your car.
Comprehensive Insurance; Additional to CTP / Green Slip so does not neccessarily run concurrently with it. ie if rego & CTP is until Oct and you take out comp now, the comp will not be due for another year.
Form 8; What the dealer will give you to take to the RTA to enable you change the registration into your name and address (ID req such as driving licence). Fill in a change of registration form, cough up your lovely stamp duty (3% below AUD45,000) and transfer fee AUD 24.00 and away you go. Dealer will not give you a form 8 if you have negotiated an on the road price as he should pay the stamp duty and transfer fee for you. You will, then receive rego through the post in a few days.

It is not as hard as as it appears. Like I said I've been through this myself in the past few days, both for a new car for the wife and a old wreck for me. I believe this is just about on the money, but I stand to be corrected.
Old May 24th 2005, 8:11 am
Badge

Originally Posted by SnapOff
Hi
I've just waded through all this myself as a first time buyer. This is my take on it;
Green Slip; Paid yearly with the rego, and transfers with the rego. So if your car has rego until Oct, the green slip (CTP) will also be valid until then. You then have to renew it to get your rego renewed annually.
Pink Slips; equivalent to an MOT. I think if you are buying a over 3 yrs old it must have a pink slip that has been issued in the previous 4 weeks.
Black Slip; MOT / inspection failure. Can also be issued by the police roadside if they stop and inspect your car.
Comprehensive Insurance; Additional to CTP / Green Slip so does not neccessarily run concurrently with it. ie if rego & CTP is until Oct and you take out comp now, the comp will not be due for another year.
Form 8; What the dealer will give you to take to the RTA to enable you change the registration into your name and address (ID req such as driving licence). Fill in a change of registration form, cough up your lovely stamp duty (3% below AUD45,000) and transfer fee AUD 24.00 and away you go. Dealer will not give you a form 8 if you have negotiated an on the road price as he should pay the stamp duty and transfer fee for you. You will, then receive rego through the post in a few days.

It is not as hard as as it appears. Like I said I've been through this myself in the past few days, both for a new car for the wife and a old wreck for me. I believe this is just about on the money, but I stand to be corrected.
sounds good - a fair summary...I always get confused with green slip/insurance.

Badge

Old May 24th 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Badge
sounds good - a fair summary...I always get confused with green slip/insurance.

Badge
I was involved in a survey recently where I had to ask people for their understanding of what the Green Slip covered and very few people actually knew so just for anyone that doesn't know, it's insurance against personal injury caused by the holder of the greenslip to another person in an accident. So if you crash into someone else your car insurance covers their car repairs and your CTP (Compulsory Third Party)greenslip covers their medical bills or if they are maimed for life etc. It also covers injury to any passengers you are carrying in your car but it doesnt cover your own injuries.
Also, until recently, fully comprehensive or 3rd party car insurance (damage to vehicle) were the only options in Oz. I always used to have 3rd party, fire & theft cover in UK, but you couldn't get it here. Happy to see at least 2 insurers now offer 3rd party, fire and theft cover, CGU and AAMI, CGU since last year I think and AAMI just recently. Hope this helps some people. and I hope I got everything right so no-one is mis-led. subject, innit?
Old May 24th 2005, 3:03 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by easygroove
We've just bought a car in Sydney from a dealer. I'm a little confused about the green slip, pink slip and rego process. I think i'm right in saying that the green slip is something different to a car insurance policy, they are two separate things

The car has rego until October 2005.

I know we need to arrnage insurance before we collect the car on Sat and i have a few quotes sorted out. I also know that there is state tax to pay within 14 days of taking ownership.

Does the green slip come with the car or do i have to buy it? If the car has rego will the dealership give me the green slip? I think i need the green slip to take to the RTA to pay the tax.

Do i need any other 'slips' to be sorted out before picking the car up?

In short, i think i need to pay the deposit, arrange insurance and show the certificate before i can drive the car away. Or have i forgotten something?

Thanks for any advice
Thanks for bringing the subject up, had no idea about all these slips!!! and even more thanks to SnapOff for the info. Karma to you both

D D