Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are pink paper driving licences ok?

Are pink paper driving licences ok?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:01 am
HMM
HMM

HMM is on a distinguished road
Question Are pink paper driving licences ok?

Finally, we have a "Sale Agreed" sign outside and are beginning to put all of our plans into action. At the moment it feels very exciting but new questions are popping up all the time, and here is one of them.

We are planning to get an international driving permit to buy us a little bit more time before taking our tests - (it is only a written test isnt it?) - We have the old pink paper licences and are wondering if they are ok in Brisbane. Has anyone had any problems? Would it be better to get a couple of the new photo ones before we go?

Glad to hear from anyone who can help.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:06 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are pink paper driving licences ok?

I cant even find my pink licence:scared: I am having a nightmare with the DVLA at the moment so it may be just as easy for me to re sit the driving exam when i get to Oz

Last time i changed my address on my licence was years ago plus i have changed my name via deed poll.........Oh the stresses and strains.......

I would guess that the pink ones are ok in brissie.....

Rob

Originally Posted by HMM
Finally, we have a "Sale Agreed" sign outside and are beginning to put all of our plans into action. At the moment it feels very exciting but new questions are popping up all the time, and here is one of them.

We are planning to get an international driving permit to buy us a little bit more time before taking our tests - (it is only a written test isnt it?) - We have the old pink paper licences and are wondering if they are ok in Brisbane. Has anyone had any problems? Would it be better to get a couple of the new photo ones before we go?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:15 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HMM

Photo ones would be better & they are useful for ID too cant see why the pink paper liciences wouldnt be accepted?

Hang on though & get an answer from some one who does know for sure

Donna.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:15 am
HMM
HMM

HMM is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
I cant even find my pink licence:scared: I am having a nightmare with the DVLA at the moment so it may be just as easy for me to re sit the driving exam when i get to Oz

Last time i changed my address on my licence was years ago plus i have changed my name via deed poll.........Oh the stresses and strains.......

I would guess that the pink ones are ok in brissie.....

Rob
Thanks for the advice. You sound in the whirl as we are. I suggest a few of these for a couple of hours and go back to whirl later
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:00 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I have been driving on my crappy old bit of pink paper since I got here 4 years ago and have had no problem other than some looks of disbelief when I show it

If you are coming here as PR then you need a Qld licence within 3 months - you can get one with your UK lic and by sitting the theory exam. That applies if you move interstate with a NSW licence too so I do not think an international licence will help for a PR.

If I need photo ID I use my passport.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:10 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Do they need to see an origional or would a photo copy do?

What details do they take down from your licence do you know?

Thanks,

Rob

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I have been driving on my crappy old bit of pink paper since I got here 4 years ago and have had no problem other than some looks of disbelief when I show it

If you are coming here as PR then you need a Qld licence within 3 months - you can get one with your UK lic and by sitting the theory exam. That applies if you move interstate with a NSW licence too so I do not think an international licence will help for a PR.

If I need photo ID I use my passport.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:40 pm
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Hy ya HMM

Can't answer your question as such, but have you tried this web site ??

http://www.raa.net/page.asp?TerID=192&rnd=0.7577293#

BRICKY ADE
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Try and get your photo license sorted out, it will be a help, but to be honest the best thing to do would be try and get your Aussie drivers licence as soon as you can.

It for us would have saved a lot of hassle when trying to prove who you are, trying to get a loan, a rental house, anything, if we had the licence from the start oh it would have been easier.

I know its probably the last thing on your mind when you get here, but buy the test book and learn your signs, what to do at junctions etc, its a wee bit diffirent over here so well worth swotting up :scared:

Bill